Windows 10: Clipboard sharing and drag-n-drop not working with VirtualBox

Discus and support Clipboard sharing and drag-n-drop not working with VirtualBox in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; In VirtualBox, I have enabled bidirectional clipboard sharing and drag-n-drop. However, neither works. Anybody have any ideas about what might be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by lbeachmike, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Clipboard sharing and drag-n-drop not working with VirtualBox

In VirtualBox, I have enabled bidirectional clipboard sharing and drag-n-drop. However, neither works.

Anybody have any ideas about what might be wrong?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, figured out that I had to install Guest Additions on the guest VM.

This was done by mounting the ISO and then running the installer from inside the guest Windows VM.

:)

lbeachmike, Mar 14, 2021

2. Clipboard sharing and drag-n-drop not working with VirtualBox

In VirtualBox, I have enabled bidirectional clipboard sharing and drag-n-drop. However, neither works.

Anybody have any ideas about what might be wrong?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, figured out that I had to install Guest Additions on the guest VM.

This was done by mounting the ISO and then running the installer from inside the guest Windows VM.

lbeachmike, Mar 14, 2021
  3. Clipboard sharing and drag-n-drop not working with VirtualBox

Thanks. This is not in the installation tutorial on tenforums. I think it would be very helpful to add the couple extra steps.

Install Windows 10 Virtual Machine in VirtualBox

I started a new thread, because it was a totally different issue than my original thread described and I figured it would be easier for people to find.

lbeachmike, Mar 14, 2021
  4. Clipboard sharing and drag-n-drop not working with VirtualBox

Drag and Drop

Hi Charles,

the steps you suggested didn't work for me but, when pressing the escape key it somehow expanded the drive and by using drag and drop to the single file in the list worked.

In the past I could drag and drop multiple folders onto the drive on the network computer(s). Doing it on individual folders will take far too long and time consuming and is not an option.

Microsoft should be able to identify what is blocking it and issue a fix.

My machine is multi boot so tomorrow I will try with Windows 7.

Many thanks for your help,

Deric

DericStain, Mar 14, 2021
Thema:

Clipboard sharing and drag-n-drop not working with VirtualBox

1. Clipboard sharing and drag-n-drop not working with VirtualBox - Similar Threads - Clipboard sharing drag

2. Clipboard + drag and drop functionality randomly breaking.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clipboard + drag and drop functionality randomly breaking.: Both the clipboard and drag and drop will break at random times, and across all applications. Restarting the computer fixes it, but I want to find a way to fix it without having to pause all my work, restart, and reopen everything, just for an hour or two of work time.The...
  3. Clipboard + drag and drop functionality randomly breaking.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clipboard + drag and drop functionality randomly breaking.: Both the clipboard and drag and drop will break at random times, and across all applications. Restarting the computer fixes it, but I want to find a way to fix it without having to pause all my work, restart, and reopen everything, just for an hour or two of work time.The...
  4. Clipboard + drag and drop functionality randomly breaking.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Drag and drop not working properly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drag and drop not working properly: Hello,I've just noticed that I can't drag and drop properly; IE: Right click and hold on a file or folder, then drag to destination; release right button and context menu will come up, then select. What I'm getting is a red circle with a red slash through it if I try to drag...
  6. Drag and drop not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drag and drop not working properly: Hello,I've just noticed that I can't drag and drop properly; IE: Right click and hold on a file or folder, then drag to destination; release right button and context menu will come up, then select. What I'm getting is a red circle with a red slash through it if I try to drag...
  7. Virtual Desktop - drag n drop windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Virtual Desktop - drag n drop windows: I just tried this, and was surprised that it worked. In Task View (Win+Tab), you can drag windows onto the other virtual desktops. I only tried this after I installed the Insider Dev Build, so I'm not sure if it works in the stable version. submitted by /u/ITs-My-Life...
  8. Drag and drop not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Drag and drop not working: Can somebody help me how to fix drag and drop cuz i'm having some difficulties trying to fix it submitted by /u/tinki_vinkiii [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j08xv2/drag_and_drop_not_working/
  9. Drag n Drop in Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag n Drop in Win 10: Can you drag & drop files from one Explorer window to another? This is by right clicking the file and moving it holding the mouse down, then release in the target location. It's always worked for me in XP but Win 10 does not. It will however, r-click copy and then r-click...
  10. drag and drop does not work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    drag and drop does not work: drag and drop does not work why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop-does-not-work/57c0cb22-5019-4867-8a78-2d9a4d5d05e4"