Windows 10: Clone an entire drive directly to the cloud?

Discus and support Clone an entire drive directly to the cloud? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi - I have a single 256GB SSD and no other local or external storage. I want to make an exact clone image of my entire SSD including the OS, so that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by rtlee, Dec 7, 2019.

1. rtlee Win User

Clone an entire drive directly to the cloud?

Hi - I have a single 256GB SSD and no other local or external storage. I want to make an exact clone image of my entire SSD including the OS, so that I can replicate this same image on to other SSDs to use in other PCs. So IOW I want to make one master SSD and then replicate it on to a few other SSDs for identical systems I am building. The goal is to make an extact, bootable replica 100% exactly like the first (bit for bit identical across the entire SSD). This is for Windows 10. Some questions please:

1. I see there are lots of options to clone a drive, but they require storing the image locally on some other device. Are there any cloning utilities that will write the cloned image directly to the cloud, so I don't need a second local drive or external storage for the cloned image?

2. When I go to restore the cloned image, it is likely in some cases that the motherboard and or CPU on the new machine will be different. Is it possible to restore a cloned image to a new system with a differemt motherboard and CPU that will still boot just fine? My idea would be to restore the cloned image on a new system, and then install the appropriate drivers for that motherboard and CPU. Possible?

3. How does the restore process work in this case. For instance if I boot on my SSD and then want to restore an image on to it, if it starts writing the cloned image from the backup right on top of itself while it is booted I imagine that would cause issues? In that case is this possible to only do if the restore is happening from the cloned image directly onto a second SSD on the machine, but not the currently booted one?

Thank you everyone.

:)

rtlee, Dec 7, 2019
  2. Nickylee1 Win User

Do window 10 offer a clone image feature for backup system?

Hi, oemSoft

I am sorry to tell you that there is no built-in clone feature in Windows 10. If you just create a system image backup, you can follow the steps below to create a system image in Windows 10.

Step 1. Open Control Panel, go to System and Security > File History, then click System Image Backup at the lower-left corner. Or you can directly type backup and restore in the search box and select it from the search result list.

Step 2. Connect the USB drive to your computer and select it as the destination path, then click Next.

Step 3. Confirm your backup settings and click Start Backup.

However, if you want to clone your system directly, you can choose a third-party software like AOMEI Backupper. This is a professional clone software that allows you to

clone system
    to different places such as external hard drive, USB drive or Network, etc. without booting problems. With it, you also can clone the entire disk to HDD or SSD.

Nickylee1, Dec 7, 2019
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook | Tom's Hardware

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Dec 7, 2019
  4. Clone an entire drive directly to the cloud?

Clone Bitlocker enable drive to SSD

Keitaro

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

Heed the advice of the software, you must disable BitLocker before cloning. This is highly recommend if you ever want to get access to the drive.

There is nothing wrong with having to re-enable it after restoring the clone.

Step 1: disable BitLocker.

Step 2: clone drive

Step 3: restore the cloned image to the new drive.

Step 4: Re-Enable BitLocker.

Andre for Directly, Dec 7, 2019
Thema:

Clone an entire drive directly to the cloud?

1. Clone an entire drive directly to the cloud? - Similar Threads - Clone entire drive

2. create ISO directly on USB drive or cloud

in Windows 10 Gaming
    create ISO directly on USB drive or cloud: Hi all,I need to create a bootable USB device but on the current PC I do not have 8GB free on my hard drive C:/ to save an ISO generated by WMC Tool before I can burn it on USB.Moreover, WMC Tool does not allow to create the image file on an external drive only C:/...so I am...
  3. create ISO directly on USB drive or cloud

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    create ISO directly on USB drive or cloud: Hi all,I need to create a bootable USB device but on the current PC I do not have 8GB free on my hard drive C:/ to save an ISO generated by WMC Tool before I can burn it on USB.Moreover, WMC Tool does not allow to create the image file on an external drive only C:/...so I am...
  4. create ISO directly on USB drive or cloud

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Copying entire drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying entire drive.: I want to move my entire drive including windows 10 operating system to a new larger disk I installed,how to? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copying-entire-drive/b555f5a3-9d07-47f2-b8b5-d28c9abb411f
  6. Questions Concerning Entire Disk Drive Cloning Practices For Back Up.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Questions Concerning Entire Disk Drive Cloning Practices For Back Up.: Hello. I have a couple of questions to ask you! I hope everyone is safe during these unusual times! I just recently purchased a Western Digital (WD) 2TB (NTFS) My Passport backup storage device to back up my newer replaced HHD to SSD (on Disk 0 or 1 depending on the disk...
  7. Questions Concerning Entire Disk Drive Cloning Practices For Back Up.

in Windows 10 Support
    Questions Concerning Entire Disk Drive Cloning Practices For Back Up.: Hello. I have a couple of questions to ask you! I hope everyone is safe during these unusual times! I just recently purchased a Western Digital (WD) 2TB (NTFS) My Passport backup storage device to back up my newer replaced HHD to SSD (on Disk 0 or 1 depending on the disk...
  8. Clone Entire Drive to an External USB Drive to use a Catastrophic Recovery Drive?

Clone Entire Drive to an External USB Drive to use a Catastrophic Recovery Drive?: I need to have a clone of my ENTIRE SYSTEM on an external drive that I can use to: RECOVER MY ENTIRE SYSTEM... if my hard drive dies for whatever reason or melts or is stolen. IF someone breaks into my house and steals my entire computer along with my TV and sofa. I want...
  9. clone drive

clone drive: im trying to clone my startup to a ssd plkz help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clone-drive/4bc8db0d-5b76-48a0-99e0-a0d5997e4853
  10. clone drive

clone drive: im trying to clone my startup to a ssd plkz help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/clone-drive/4bc8db0d-5b76-48a0-99e0-a0d5997e4853