Windows 10: Clone and activation licenses question

Discus and support Clone and activation licenses question in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello,We work in an area with 20 isolated laptops, that will NEVER touch the internet. We bought 20 windows 10 pro licenses with the one product... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by hagakure321, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Clone and activation licenses question

Hello,We work in an area with 20 isolated laptops, that will NEVER touch the internet. We bought 20 windows 10 pro licenses with the one product key.Our normal way of verifying the system and 3rd party software is to find follow a 45-page checklist. I would like to clone one laptop that is triple-checked to the needed settings. Then before the required test just place the image over the last one. Now we have had to reactive these licenses multiple times due to offline updates like 1909. And that seems normal. But, this has given a different device id and activation id every time. I suspect tha

:)

hagakure321, Apr 13, 2022
  2. wishihad Win User

Activation options for Win10 with instant clones

We have a secure (no internet access) lab environment setup to test and validate a VMWare VDI deployment of Win10 clients.

Our issue is activation of the Win10 clients as they require re-activation every time we logoff and back on because we are using instant clones.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to resolve this? Here are the options we are considering and issues as we understand them:

• Setup a KMS server
      • Requires a Volume license, which is doable
      • Documentation says we must have a minimum of 25 hosts, we don' have that in our lab
    • Use our MSDN account
      • No support for Win10 KMS license
      • No support for MKS activation
    • Manually activate each time
      • Gonna spend a lot of time on the phone Clone and activation licenses question :(
      • Win10 has no grace period so machines are crippled w/o activation
    Anyone have a thought or suggestions? I'm hoping I missed something.

Thanks

wishihad, Apr 13, 2022
  3. Megahertz Win User
    Questions regarding Win10 Digital License and Cloning

If you boot the existing drive, you must put the new drive into the caddy, boot windows normally and clone the internal drive into the external. When finished, shut down and swap the drives.

I suggest you install Macrium reflect and make a Macrium reflect boot able rescue drive.
    Boot from the Macrium reflect boot able rescue drive and clone the existing drive to the new one.
    In this case the existing drive can be on the caddy and the new on on the computer or vice versa.

Don't forget to resize the C: partition during the clone.

Megahertz, Apr 13, 2022
  4. Clone and activation licenses question

Questions regarding Win10 Digital License and Cloning

Hi folks,

I upgraded an 11-year old laptop to a new SSD just before Christmas and used the Win 7 key to activate the clean install of Win 10.

I'm putting in a bigger SSD and going to use Macrium Reflect to copy the Win 10 machine (so that all M$ Office and all of the other software won't have to be installed a second time and my WiFi printers will also be set up).

I understand that the easiest way to clone the existing drive is to put the new drive in the pc and put the old drive in a USB caddy and get the pc to boot from the external hard drive (the old one). That's correct isn't it?

Assuming that the BIOS of my 11-year old lappy allows me to boot from USB, that should be fine.

If it doesn't, I'd have to put the new drive in the external USB caddy ans use Macrium Reflect to clone from the internal SSD to the external (new) SSD.

If you then swap the drives over (so that the new one is now in the pc and the old drive is in the external caddy), there are a couple of additional steps to go through so that the new SSD will boot. That's correct isn't it?

I'll ask about those steps if I need to. Going to try the first method to start with.

Now to the Digital License question.

The new install of Win 10 just before Christmas 2020 used as I said before, the Windows 7 key and is activated. If I clone the SSD I presume that the license is simply carried over to the new SSD.

What happens if I decide to go for a clean install of Windows 10 in this new SSD. Will M$ pick up that apart from the larger SSD, the pc is the same (same processor, mobo & memory) and Win 10 will pick up the digital license?

I ask this because I had several (legitimate) copies of Windows 7 and I can't remember which licence key I used. Or could I use Belarc Advisor (or similar) to dig out the key?

Thanks in advance,

Art

PC in question is runing Windows 10 version 20H2, build 19042.867

ArthurDent, Apr 13, 2022
Thema:

Clone and activation licenses question

1. Clone and activation licenses question - Similar Threads - Clone activation licenses

2. Clone and activation licenses question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clone and activation licenses question: Hello,We work in an area with 20 isolated laptops, that will NEVER touch the internet. We bought 20 windows 10 pro licenses with the one product key.Our normal way of verifying the system and 3rd party software is to find follow a 45-page checklist. I would like to clone one...
  3. Clone and activation licenses question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clone and activation licenses question: Hello,We work in an area with 20 isolated laptops, that will NEVER touch the internet. We bought 20 windows 10 pro licenses with the one product key.Our normal way of verifying the system and 3rd party software is to find follow a 45-page checklist. I would like to clone one...
  4. Win10 Digital License Transfer/Activation Questions

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 Digital License Transfer/Activation Questions: I am working towards getting a new desktop, not a pre-fab from dell or HP no offense meant you two, but you're a bit stringent on hardware upgrades past the norm, but one I will either assemble myself cables and all, or using an offered service that will do it for me perhaps...
  5. Win10 Digital License Transfer/Activation Questions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Digital License Transfer/Activation Questions: I am working towards getting a new desktop, not a pre-fab from dell or HP no offense meant you two, but you're a bit stringent on hardware upgrades past the norm, but one I will either assemble myself cables and all, or using an offered service that will do it for me perhaps...
  6. Win10 Digital License Transfer/Activation Questions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Questions regarding Win10 Digital License and Cloning

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Questions regarding Win10 Digital License and Cloning: Hi folks, I upgraded an 11-year old laptop to a new SSD just before Christmas and used the Win 7 key to activate the clean install of Win 10. I'm putting in a bigger SSD and going to use Macrium Reflect to copy the Win 10 machine (so that all M$ Office and all of the other...
  8. Cloned licenses

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloned licenses: i cloned my hdd to an ssd and now both have functioning windows 10? did i duplicate the license? submitted by /u/Insain-Person [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ic53zs/cloned_licenses/
  9. Macrium Cloning Question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Cloning Question: This is my HDD layout, [img] . I would like to clone to a SSD. If I choose not to include the Recovery D: partition, will that space no longer used by the D: partition show as unallocated space? Thank you for your help. Windows 10 1909 145762
  10. Question about the license types and activation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about the license types and activation: My windows 10 activation is showing activated via digital license but i bought the box from a retailer and used the key which is in the card. I think it was even activated before i enter my product key but i entered it anyways again. (The pc was pre owned but i formatted the...