Windows 10: Clone D drive with Users to new SSD

Discus and support Clone D drive with Users to new SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am replacing a 240 MB Crucial M500 SSD that has the User folders, installed using sysprep, with an new MX500 1TB SSD. Acronis was used to clone the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AEOUserID, Jan 2, 2018.

1. AEOUserID Win User

Clone D drive with Users to new SSD

I am replacing a 240 MB Crucial M500 SSD that has the User folders, installed using sysprep, with an new MX500 1TB SSD. Acronis was used to clone the old SSD to the new one.
    The Win10 OS is installed on a 256 MB M.2 NVMe Samsung 950 Pro drive. The motherboard is Asus-Z170 Deluxe.
    Even if all peripheral drives are disconnected so that only the M.2 boot drive and cloned disk with the user folders are present, the system has a tendency to not assign the M.2 drive as the C drive.
    How can I make sure the drive letter assignments are correct when booting for the first time?

:)

AEOUserID, Jan 2, 2018

2. Swapping drive letters, including boot volume

I have a new computer. I want to clone the system to a new SSD. Can I change the drive letter of the SSD to C: after cloning?

I have a new ASUS M52BC with:

• 1 TB hard drive with a Windows (CClone D drive with Users to new SSD :) and empty data (DClone D drive with Users to new SSD :) partition
    • Windows 8.1 (I will upgrade to Windows 10 very soon) on the hard drive
    • Samsung SSD 850 EVO (physically installed but nothing more done to it)
    What I want to get to is:

• 1 TB hard drive with the data (DClone D drive with Users to new SSD :) partition and (for the old Windows partition) the drive letter of the C: changed to something else
    • Windows 10 on the SSD as the C:
    I don't intend to boot to Windows on the hard drive after I get Windows working on the SSD unless I need to remove the SSD for return to ASUS for repair. (My new computer had a bad motherboard when I received it but I hope I do not need to return it again.)

I want to clone Windows to the SSD using the Samsung Data Migration tool. During the clone, the SSD will of course not have the drive letter "C". To boot from and use the SSD after the cloning, it must have the drive letter "C", correct? I assume the Data
    Migration tool cannot change the drive letter used by the software it clones.

After the clone, how do I swap the drive letters? I assume I cannot change the drive letter of the hard drive Windows partition when it was used to boot from because it would be the boot drive, correct?

I know that some people will suggest that I do a fresh install. I want to avoid doing that if possible.

I see
    Migrate system partition to a new disk
    . I think that describes doing what I am trying to do, but unfortunately he does not know how he did it.

Simple Samples, Jan 2, 2018
  3. csiemers Win User
    installing a ssd drive

1. Clone hard drive to new SSD.

2. When finished with cloning shut down computer.

3. Take out old hard drive and install SSD.

4. Boot computer.

csiemers, Jan 2, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

If its booting from a drive with the system files on it then that will be drive c if its assigning c to another drive there must be boot files on it

Samuria, Jan 2, 2018
  5. AEOUserID Win User
    Presently, the M.2 boot drive is assigned C. The User folders have to be on the D drive or the system will not boot.
    How do I make sure both drive letters are not reassigned? Or if they are, how to assign them correctly.

The assign command for DISKPART help files indicate "You cannot assign drive letters to system volumes, boot volumes, or volumes that contain the paging file. You cannot assign a drive letter to an OEM partition or any GPT partition other than a basic data partition."

The D volume has a small 4 GB paging file. I am assuming that the disk containing the Users folders is a system volume.

AEOUserID, Jan 2, 2018
  6. AEOUserID Win User
    The Asus motherboard UEFI has a boot manager, so it was easy to select the correct drive.
    New SSD in place!

AEOUserID, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Clone D drive with Users to new SSD - Similar Threads - Clone drive Users

2. How to clone SSD C drive to larger SSD D drive, then run Windows from the bigger drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to clone SSD C drive to larger SSD D drive, then run Windows from the bigger drive: We have a 512GB PCIe SSD as C drive running Windows 11 and a new empty 1TB SSD as D drive. We want to have the operating system be on the larger drive and become the system and boot drive - but we want the 1TB drive to become C drive after cloning. Then we will erase...
  3. How to clone SSD C drive to larger SSD D drive, then run Windows from the bigger drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to clone SSD C drive to larger SSD D drive, then run Windows from the bigger drive: We have a 512GB PCIe SSD as C drive running Windows 11 and a new empty 1TB SSD as D drive. We want to have the operating system be on the larger drive and become the system and boot drive - but we want the 1TB drive to become C drive after cloning. Then we will erase...
  4. How to clone SSD C drive to larger SSD D drive, then run Windows from the bigger drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cloning an OS to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning an OS to a new SSD: Hi there! I bought a tower from a friends company but had to buy a new SSD that did have an OS installed onto it. I was wondering how I can go about cloning my current OS from my laptop onto the new SSD so I can use the tower. I have found numerous videos showing how to clone...
  6. Cloning an OS to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cloning an OS to a new SSD: Hi there! I bought a tower from a friends company but had to buy a new SSD that did have an OS installed onto it. I was wondering how I can go about cloning my current OS from my laptop onto the new SSD so I can use the tower. I have found numerous videos showing how to clone...
  7. New Computer with SSD - would like to clone this drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New Computer with SSD - would like to clone this drive: Hi folks. My wife is getting a new Windows 10 laptop tomorrow with a 256Gb SSD. One of the first things I'm going to check is the version number of Windows 10 that is installed. If it isn't 1909, can I do a manual update to 1909 (and if so, how)? I'd like to clone this onto...
  8. SSD and D Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD and D Drive: I have a new PC with a SSD and normal hard drive. How do I get the default for files (new, explore, save etc) to be to the D Drive. I seem to have ended up with 2 versions and they aren't in syncd...
  9. Unable to clone new ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to clone new ssd: Had Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on my desktop. Took the free upgrade to Windows 10 from Microsoft. Somehow part of Windows 10 got installed on my F: drive which is a secondary HDD on my computer. I've just installed a new SSD drive and wanted to clone my current C: drive to...
  10. Moved Users to D:, can't login with cloned drive

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Moved Users to D:, can't login with cloned drive: I followed the tutorial and moved Users to the D drive with the rest of my personal files. After cloning the D drive (just in case) using Macrium Reflect I cannot log in with the cloned drive. I get an error and will not accept the password or pin. The error I get is "The...