Windows 10: Clone data drive with user folders

Discus and support Clone data drive with user folders in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have some of my user folders (documents, music, pictures and downloads) on a different drive (D:) than the OS (C:). The D: drive is getting a little... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Damun, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Damun Win User

Clone data drive with user folders

I have some of my user folders (documents, music, pictures and downloads) on a different drive (DClone data drive with user folders :) than the OS (CClone data drive with user folders :).
    The D: drive is getting a little cramped and i've bought a bigger drive to replace it.
    I would like to migrate my data from D: to the new bigger drive and then physically replace the old drive with the new.
    I have the software needed. I also have a hard drive enclosure so that i can connect the new drive to my pc via USB and clone the data.

My question:
    If i clone the D: drive and replace it, can i assume that the drive letter would remain the same (DClone data drive with user folders :) and that windows will keep using the folders as before?
    Or would i have to re-locate the folders again manually?

:)

Damun, Oct 13, 2020
  2. NTM2003 Win User

Upgrading my data drive HDD

I am not the one actually set it up for me I had geek squad do it for me because I didn't want to mess it up. but the folders that are listed in the data drive is
    program data
    steam
    users
    windows apps
    razar soft wear

NTM2003, Oct 13, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

If not the best way to do that but at least the way I recommend:

• "Empty" your user profile folders as much as you can, copying documents, pics, videos, music and all other personal data from all user profiles to external HDD. As following steps require you to relocate Users folder two times, the less data is left in user profile folders, the faster the relocation process. Important: Leave system folder AppData for each profile intact, do not empty / move its content!
    • Reverse the relocating, doing exactly as told in tutorial Method Two but this time relocating Users folder back to C: drive
    • Shut down the PC, replace the disk where you had Users relocated
    • Mount the new disk, boot to Windows, assign new disk the same drive ID letter than the old one had
    • Again, do as told in Method Two, now relocating Users to new disk
    • Restore the backed up personal user data from external drive to respective folders under each user profile

4. Clone data drive with user folders

Failing HDD and Cloning

Physical damage then? If not even a software that is designed to skip over bad sectors can get what you're looking for then maybe that's it for this drive? I'm sure that there are experts on data retrieval out there that can take a shot at it but it's not guaranteed that they'll get anything out of it.

Did you try to just copy some files one at a time to see if the drive cooperates, as suggested? This old 320GB drive wouldn't copy folders but would do the contents of the folders one at a time.

tabascosauz, Oct 13, 2020
Thema:

Clone data drive with user folders

1. Clone data drive with user folders - Similar Threads - Clone data drive

2. Windows.old folder and User data files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows.old folder and User data files: I upgraded from windows10 home to windows10 pro, all user's files are located in windows.old/users profiles are not found in some days, how can i get back my old working files?...
  3. What is the best way to clone a hdd to ssd, which only contains datas ( but the users folder) ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is the best way to clone a hdd to ssd, which only contains datas ( but the users folder) ?: Hello, I will replace my hdd, which contains my users folder, to a ssd, for go faster. What is the best way ( aka not losing my locations folders like users/pictures/documents/etc) to do this ? I was going to do it with a software like easeus todobackup, or aomei...
  4. Cloning System Partitions Only Without Destroying Data On Clone Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning System Partitions Only Without Destroying Data On Clone Drive: I am trying to clone only System partitions from a 1TB SSD to a 4TB SSD that has 2 partitions filled with data but enough free space at its beginning to host the System partitions . 1st attempt I tried the copy System partitions only on Minitool Partition Wizard but was...
  5. DATA D: Drive Storage with One-Drive Syncing of User Folders

DATA D: Drive Storage with One-Drive Syncing of User Folders: Get ready for a novel. I'm trying to be as detailed as possible. For almost 2 weeks now, I have been reading articles and answers on several websites for the official/proper way to move some of my User Folders Desktop, Library Folders, & OneDrive itself to my 1TB DATA D:...
  6. Lost User Folder/Data

Lost User Folder/Data: Hi! Please pardon my total and complete ignorance! I noticed my user folder name was truncated or so I thought from Gaston to Gasto . I tried renaming it and ended up having to reload all my apps and links. that didn't work. I noticed it was truncated to "gasto" again...
  7. Clone the non-boot, user data drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Clone the non-boot, user data drive: Bear with me while I provide some background. Back in 2013 I built my current PC, and given the price of hardware at the time, I wanted a hybrid solution with the following configuration. C: (SSD) - Windows, Program Files/Data D: (HDD) - User directories I did this by...
  8. DATA Drive (D:) Shared User Folders

DATA Drive (D:) Shared User Folders: Under DATA Drive (D:) is a folder called Users, which has my user folder and my son's user folder. When he logs into his account, he can see my user folder. How can I fix it so he can't see my user folder?...
  9. Clone D drive with Users to new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Clone D drive with Users to new SSD: I am replacing a 240 MB Crucial M500 SSD that has the User folders, installed using sysprep, with an new MX500 1TB SSD. Acronis was used to clone the old SSD to the new one. The Win10 OS is installed on a 256 MB M.2 NVMe Samsung 950 Pro drive. The motherboard is Asus-Z170...
  10. Restore Users and Program Data Folders to Original Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore Users and Program Data Folders to Original Drive: Anyone know how to restore these folders to their original drive after they were moved during sysprep 13181