Windows 10: Clone discrepancy vs original - how to find/debug?

Discus and support Clone discrepancy vs original - how to find/debug? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; For years I used macrium reflect for cloning but recently they had a bug that caused two fails in a row for me so I dropped rather than spend forever... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by cognus, Apr 18, 2020.

1. cognus Win User

Clone discrepancy vs original - how to find/debug?

For years I used macrium reflect for cloning but recently they had a bug that caused two fails in a row for me so I dropped rather than spend forever trying to figure it out. Using Minitool Shadowmaker now. It has worked great apparently, until I ran it for a very critical setup that has lots of user data that MUST be exactly produced. Now I have a problem as follows

This is all being done with windows 10 pro v1909, updated to this week [april 13-17 2020].
    I cloned the C drive which is boot plus programs plus about half of the user's data files. The other data files are on a physically separate drive that will be copied over to a new drive. [copied, not cloned]. The C: drive clone booted and ran fine, nothing looked amiss, until I did some simple compares out of phobia that files would be dropped. There is a roughly 4GB difference.
    So, I tediously have been going through the many folders to figure out where the diff lies. 95% of the difference is in Users directory, narrowed to the one key user. Microsoft data is diff, with Outlook files being nearly 2.GB of the diff; the other I'm still sorting.

Is this just a weakness of Shadowmaker in particular, or are there other Clone packages that have the same deficiency?
    Is the defect such that even a straight, uncompressed, Copy/Paste of the critical folders going to also produce similar discrepancies? Is this a permissions error? The user account is the same on both drives in this case. That notwithstanding, should I first "take ownership" one folder at a time before the clone process and/or before a manual copying of those crucial folders?

thanks for your experience and advice

c

:)

cognus, Apr 18, 2020
  2. Callender Win User

Thanks for mentioning Minitool Shadowmaker. I've just downloaded it and started using it. I will backup my SSD to SATA drive mounted in a Docking Station. Macrium Reflect Free wouldn't write to that drive.

Anyway you can mount your backup as a drive and view it's contents in Explorer.

Then you can use a Diff Tool to compare files.

Clone discrepancy vs original - how to find/debug? [​IMG]

Callender, Apr 18, 2020
  3. NavyLCDR Win User

Do a forensic clone rather than a smart clone. The resulting clone will be exactly the same as the original, byte for byte.

NavyLCDR, Apr 18, 2020
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Cannot clone original install

Are you dragging and dropping the partitions? The destination drive should be unallocated (clean). Then you click on Clone this disk under the source disk you want to make the clone of. Then you click on Select the disk to clone to in the bottom pane of the next window. Then you click on the destination drive that you want to clone to. Then you drag and drop the partitions you want to clone from the top (source drive) pane to the unallocated space on the bottom (destination drive) pane. You can click on the dropped partitions in the bottom pane and select partition properties to resize the partition when it is cloned. Once you get the destination drive looking the way you want to, click on finish.

Step 1: select Clone this disk under the source disk:

Step 2: Select destination disk

Step 3: Drag and drop partitions

Step 4: Select partition and select cloned partition properties to change the size

Step 5: Everything in desired place and desired size, click Finish

NavyLCDR, Apr 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Clone discrepancy vs original - how to find/debug? - Similar Threads - Clone discrepancy original

2. Cannot find default wallpaper, how to debug

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot find default wallpaper, how to debug: The thing is I have a company computer where organization settings are applied. However I have administrator rights on the pc. The wallpaper is a fixed image I needed to change for personal reasons. I have found that the image is set in the following path and deleted it and...
  3. Cannot find default wallpaper, how to debug

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot find default wallpaper, how to debug: The thing is I have a company computer where organization settings are applied. However I have administrator rights on the pc. The wallpaper is a fixed image I needed to change for personal reasons. I have found that the image is set in the following path and deleted it and...
  4. Cannot find default wallpaper, how to debug

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to find the name of the account associated with VS?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to find the name of the account associated with VS?: Visual studio is signed out and doesn't show any info about the account it was registered with. To sign in I should use the same account but don't know which one....
  6. How to find the name of the account associated with VS?

How to find the name of the account associated with VS?: Visual studio is signed out and doesn't show any info about the account it was registered with. To sign in I should use the same account but don't know which one....
  7. Debugging in VS Code result in a SFC scan

Debugging in VS Code result in a SFC scan: Screenshot here: https://ftp.bmp.ovh/imgs/2020/10/b137815d2adc9747.png Didn't do anything except pressing F5 and then it automatically start a SFC Scan...
  8. Cannot clone original install

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cannot clone original install: Ok I have the original 7 install upgraded to 10 Pro on my Sandy Bridge build. The drive is 250GB and is getting to be full to the point where I would really like to clone it to a larger drive because i am using 10 a little more now. However I have tired 7 times now to clone...
  9. Migration vs Clone to New PC

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Migration vs Clone to New PC: Hello Everyone, For the last couple months I've been trying to fix file corruption issues that occurred from a failing local HDD. It's taken a huge amount of my time but the shorter story is I was finally able to clone the failing HDD, then replace it with a new one. Just...
  10. Win10 native "disk cleanup" vs. CCleaner: temp files discrepancy

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10 native "disk cleanup" vs. CCleaner: temp files discrepancy: Hi, all: Is there a logical explanation for an enormous discrepancy between the number of "temp files" found by the native Windows "disk cleanup" utility and the number found by CCleaner? Having set up my new OEM Win10 box ~6 days ago and having more or less finished...