Windows 10: Clone Failed -- error creating volume snapshots

Discus and support Clone Failed -- error creating volume snapshots in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I've used Macrium for a couple of years to install ssd's and never had a problem. I'm on W10 for 2 computers plus 1 which is XP, and the reason I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by asallwey, Dec 19, 2020.

1. asallwey Win User

Clone Failed -- error creating volume snapshots

I've used Macrium for a couple of years to install ssd's and never had a problem. I'm on W10 for 2 computers plus 1 which is XP, and the reason I'm posting. I want to put a ssd in my old Dell 630 with XP. I d/l & installed Macrium 7.x, made a rescue disk, and tried to clone the drive. It sees the source Disk1 and destination disk2. But when I initiate cloning I get:

Starting Clone [window opened and the following immediately appeared]
    Creating volume snapshots
    (in red font) Failed to Create Volume Snapshot Result Code: 0x8000fff
    [then popup saying] Clone failed - error 0

Any ideas? Is it XP doing this? Any suggestions besides getting rid of XP?

Thanks,
    Alex

:)

asallwey, Dec 19, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

Failed to Create Volume Snapshot Macrium Error 0x8004230f VSS Error

Hi, you might try this:
    Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) Troubleshooting - Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) Troubleshooting

or the free cautious repair tool
    Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free/Pro
    - observing the steps and using only the relevant repairs

More:
    How to Fix VSS Errors Step-by-Step

Otherwise I suggest- assuming your disk and file system are sound-
    an in-place upgrade repair install which keeps all progs, data and most settings

You need an iso of the same base language and build- freely downloadable.

dalchina, Dec 19, 2020
  3. proton Win User

I have a full disk no other partitions on the disk. I mean one partition only.

Clone Failed -- error creating volume snapshots [​IMG]

I restored from a previous backup and found out that my PC was booting from Disk Zero and not the Windows disk, so had to recreated the MBR. Which seems to work now. But still have that VSS problem.

proton, Dec 19, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

Typical UEFI installation should have these:

Clone Failed -- error creating volume snapshots [​IMG]

MBR - fewer

dalchina, Dec 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Clone Failed -- error creating volume snapshots - Similar Threads - Clone Failed error

2. VSS Failure: Failed to create Volume Snapshot. Result Code: 0x80042306

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VSS Failure: Failed to create Volume Snapshot. Result Code: 0x80042306: I have an HP Laptop that was native Windows 7 upgraded to Windows 10. Now in dealing with the User running out of HD space, I was going to use Macrium Reflect to clone the SATA HD to another larger SATA HD. In working with Macrium support and after attempting to use their...
  3. VSS Failure: Failed to create Volume Snapshot. Result Code: 0x80042306

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VSS Failure: Failed to create Volume Snapshot. Result Code: 0x80042306: I have an HP Laptop that was native Windows 7 upgraded to Windows 10. Now in dealing with the User running out of HD space, I was going to use Macrium Reflect to clone the SATA HD to another larger SATA HD. In working with Macrium support and after attempting to use their...
  4. VSS Failure: Failed to create Volume Snapshot. Result Code: 0x80042306

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can't Image my C: Drive. "Backup aborted failed to create volume snapshot failed 0x8004230f"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't Image my C: Drive. "Backup aborted failed to create volume snapshot failed 0x8004230f": I already did all the support stuff from this thread https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/VSS+Error+0x8000ffff+Backup+aborted%21+-+Failed+To+Create+Volume+Snapshot yet it still doesn't work. Anyone had this issue before in Macrium Reflect (Free) and know how to fix...
  6. Problem backup failed due to a VSS snapshot error

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Problem backup failed due to a VSS snapshot error: From some time when i make a backup with Acronis, my system alert me for some error on VSSD ref. 12293. Attached image of situation on c proprity and lof of VSSDoctor. When i go in system properties the protection is disable and is impossible enable ... I try also with...
  7. Macrium Reflect Free - creating volume snapshot

Macrium Reflect Free - creating volume snapshot: I recently downloaded and installed Macrium Reflect Free for my computer running windows 10 Home Edition (I also have a computer that has windows 10 pro - but this is in regards to the computer running windows 10 home) I started to create the backup and noticed a Failed:...
  8. Failed to Create Volume Snapshot Macrium Error 0x8004230f VSS Error

Failed to Create Volume Snapshot Macrium Error 0x8004230f VSS Error: Hi, So I upgraded my SSD from 250GB to 1TB, I used Clonezilla to clone my disk and I deleted all the extra partitions it had copied over. I assume this is where the restore or backup files were. Windows booted fine and I tried to do a backup with Paragon which failed. I...
  9. Unable to create VSS snapshot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to create VSS snapshot: I'm using a tool to backup my Windows 10 system and it shows this error when I start the process: FAILED: The VSS snapshots cannot be stored because there is not enough space on the source volumes or because the source machine does not have any NTFS volumes. Error code:...
  10. Macrium fails to create a volume snapshot

Macrium fails to create a volume snapshot: A few days ago I installed Macrium Home V6 on four Win10 PCs (three Dell Desktops and a Dell laptop). Installs went well and I was able to create full and differential backups. Since Macrium was functioning correctly, I decided to uninstall Acronis True Image 2015 from all...