Windows 10: Clone failed. New Win10 installation on 1TB SSD, old 1TB HDD in second slot of PC - how to...

Discus and support Clone failed. New Win10 installation on 1TB SSD, old 1TB HDD in second slot of PC - how to... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; There are files on the HDD that have only an unknown SID with "F" permissions. There also NTFS bugs living in the ACLs ~your permissions are not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by realEdBradford, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Clone failed. New Win10 installation on 1TB SSD, old 1TB HDD in second slot of PC - how to...

There are files on the HDD that have only an unknown SID with "F" permissions. There also
    NTFS bugs living in the ACLs ~your permissions are not properly ordered~. In the list of

ACLs only a single SID has Full power and that SID is unknown to the new Windows 10 installation.

So here is what I can't do because of either the unrecognized SID is the only F permission holder

or the permissions are improperly ordered. This is rocket science. That is why I am coming here.

-------------------------

From my command prompt I get this:

- c:\windows\system32\whoami

egbw10\egb

- d0a697c833d85fcacad0fb13269ea9e4.jpg

Access is denied.

and if I run as an actual administrator I get this:

- runas /user:administrator cmd

Enter the password for administrator:

Attempting to start cmd as user "EGBW10\administrator" ...

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.900]

c 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

# c:\windows\system32\whoami

egbw10\administrator

set prompt=#

navigate to same directory as above

# d0a697c833d85fcacad0fb13269ea9e4.jpg

Access is denied.

--------------------------

ACLS show only an unrecognized SID with F power. Try as I might I can't

take ownership using takeown or icacls but only with explorer. For the 63,000

files I am dealing with, using explorer is like digging a new basement with a spoon.

There must be someway for the Admin of my system to just put an unencrypted

drive in as an external drive and read my own f_____ files.

Help

Ed Bradford, retired from IBM

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

:)

realEdBradford, Jul 8, 2020
  2. davnav Win User

new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed

Ive just bought a brand new lenovo pc which has windows 10 home 64bit and has a 1tb hard drive fitted, im looking for advice on the following.

Ive fitted the ssd into the pc but its not shown up so need step by step guide on how to make it active ?

Next I need help on how to clone the 1tb hdd to the
    Ssd drive, step by step and best software to use and have the ssd as the main drive then use the the 1hdd for storage.I just dont want to break my new system
    Thanks for your time.

davnav, Jul 8, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed

Macrium has an option to clone from larger capacity drive to smaller capacity drive. Even though it says cloning but it actually perform copy.
    From Macrium, set it as shown then Macrium will do "Copy" instead.

Clone failed. New Win10 installation on 1TB SSD, old 1TB HDD in second slot of PC - how to... [​IMG]

topgundcp, Jul 8, 2020
  4. provlima Win User

Clone failed. New Win10 installation on 1TB SSD, old 1TB HDD in second slot of PC - how to...

questions re swapping 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD

I have a fairly new Dell 8900 and want to swap its 1TB HDD with a new Crucial 1TB SSD
    I plan to clone the existing HDD using Macrium7 to the new SSD, then remove the HDD and install the new SSD in its place.
    Would this work? Would the currently existing SATA cable work with the new SSD? Any tips or advice would be appreciated
    Thanks for your help

provlima, Jul 8, 2020
Thema:

Clone failed. New Win10 installation on 1TB SSD, old 1TB HDD in second slot of PC - how to...

1. Clone failed. New Win10 installation on 1TB SSD, old 1TB HDD in second slot of PC - how to... - Similar Threads - Clone failed Win10

2. 1TB HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    1TB HDD: So i have a 1TB Barracuda HDD in my pc and my Local Disk C: has only 370GB and im wondering how i can use all of my leftover space and add it to my Local Disk C: , I also checked 'Create and format hard disk partions' and saw the other 560GB in primary just sitting there and...
  3. 1TB HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    1TB HDD: So i have a 1TB Barracuda HDD in my pc and my Local Disk C: has only 370GB and im wondering how i can use all of my leftover space and add it to my Local Disk C: , I also checked 'Create and format hard disk partions' and saw the other 560GB in primary just sitting there and...
  4. 1TB HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Migrating 1TB HDD to a 250GB SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating 1TB HDD to a 250GB SSD: I've got a 2TB C drive that I'm running at the moment. The thing takes ages to load up. I've also had a 250GB SSD sitting on my shelf for a while. The issue is that there is no boot partition on the old the HDD so the OS is just lumped in there with everything else....
  6. I Cloned my 1TB HDD to a New SSD, both 1TB in Size, but the Cloned SSD Won't boot from USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I Cloned my 1TB HDD to a New SSD, both 1TB in Size, but the Cloned SSD Won't boot from USB: Hi! On Thursday, I bought a New SK Hynix 1 TB Hard Drive, figuring I'd upgrade my 3 year old Dell Inspiron 3567 laptop that understandably is slowing down over time. So I downloaded Macrium Reflect Free edition and connected my SSD via SATA to USB 3.0 cable to the USB 3.0...
  7. Black screen on win10 pro fresh install to 1tb hdd from old pc.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen on win10 pro fresh install to 1tb hdd from old pc.: Amd ryzen 5 3600 Msi b450 gaming pro carbon ac /bios flashed mobo 16 gb ram Xfx radeon 470 rs 4gb 1tb hdd Went thru all of the setup screens got to the blue win logo with the install circle then black screen. Can reboot and get that again but then blacks out again. What can...
  8. questions re swapping 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    questions re swapping 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD: I have a fairly new Dell 8900 and want to swap its 1TB HDD with a new Crucial 1TB SSD I plan to clone the existing HDD using Macrium7 to the new SSD, then remove the HDD and install the new SSD in its place. Would this work? Would the currently existing SATA cable work with...
  9. new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed: Ive just bought a brand new lenovo pc which has windows 10 home 64bit and has a 1tb hard drive fitted, im looking for advice on the following. Ive fitted the ssd into the pc but its not shown up so need step by step guide on how to make it active ? Next I need help on...
  10. Cloning 1TB hdd to 25GB ssd? Can it be done?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cloning 1TB hdd to 25GB ssd? Can it be done?: Hello first off yes I know 1TB is way bigger than 525Gb but my dell inspiron 3650 isn't even a month old yet and I have only used 178 Gb total from the HDD. So my question is should I still be able to clone the hdd with 178Gb used(includes hidde to the ssd which has 475Gb...