Windows 10: Clone not working

Discus and support Clone not working in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I suggest you use the Reflect option to "Create an image of the partitions required to backup restore Windows" and store that image on an external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ICIT2LOL, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Steve C Win User

Clone not working

I suggest you use the Reflect option to "Create an image of the partitions required to backup restore Windows" and store that image on an external drive. Then install the new clean drive and restore the image ensuring only the single new system disk is connected when you first boot to Windows.

As others have mentioned, you may have problems with duplicate disk signatures if you clone the disk. I also advise turning off secure boot.

Steve C, Jul 4, 2016
  2. ICIT2LOL Win User

Yep Steve aiming to do just that well image at least when I have all my programs in place - broadband here is atrocious right now so it is a slow and tedious process but at least the Pro issue has been sorted. I am thinking now perhaps the activation might have gone on the 8 original OEM code as it was only the 7 that was Pro??

I don't plan having any other drives in the machine as 500GB is usually more than enough for me as I don't do much gaming or have heaps of data*Cool

The first support crowd were obviously scammers I guess as I was charged nothing for this upgrade and it is interesting to see that code is different from the other disk's code*Rolleyes

ICIT2LOL, Jul 4, 2016
  3. x509 Win User
    I just used Macrium Reflect Free for the first time last week.

I selected the clone function and then I was able to select the specific partitions I wanted cloned. Then I was able to select the target disk, which had enough unallocated space.

Is this simply confusion over vocabulary?

I tried doing a partition copy using another partition management program, and the copy was not bootable, no matter what I did. *Mad Colossal waste of time. With Macrium Reflect, the copied/cloned partition booted up no problems. *Smile

Thema:

Clone not working

1. Clone not working - Similar Threads - Clone working

2. Transfer Windows SATA M2 to NVME M2 - clone not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Windows SATA M2 to NVME M2 - clone not working: Hi All, I am attempting to breath some life into a 4 year old HP Laptop running windows 10. Memory upgrade to 16GB was straightforward, and I planned to move from th 256GB SATA M2 SSD to a 256GB WD SN750 NVME SSD - which in theory should be a bit of a boost too...I use...
  3. Transfer Windows SATA M2 to NVME M2 - clone not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer Windows SATA M2 to NVME M2 - clone not working: Hi All, I am attempting to breath some life into a 4 year old HP Laptop running windows 10. Memory upgrade to 16GB was straightforward, and I planned to move from th 256GB SATA M2 SSD to a 256GB WD SN750 NVME SSD - which in theory should be a bit of a boost too...I use...
  4. Transfer Windows SATA M2 to NVME M2 - clone not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. SATA SSD not bootable via usb, cloning did not work either

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SATA SSD not bootable via usb, cloning did not work either: My laptop was a Dell Inspiron N5110 from 2011, it was old but did what i needed it to do. To bandaid it over the years i removed the old hard drive and installed a 512 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD SATA connection with Windows 10 which was leaps and bounds faster. After years of...
  6. SATA SSD not bootable via usb, cloning did not work either

SATA SSD not bootable via usb, cloning did not work either: My laptop was a Dell Inspiron N5110 from 2011, it was old but did what i needed it to do. To bandaid it over the years i removed the old hard drive and installed a 512 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD SATA connection with Windows 10 which was leaps and bounds faster. After years of...
  7. SATA SSD not bootable via usb, cloning did not work either

8. Any reason why disk cloning do not work on a Dell Optiplex 7000

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Any reason why disk cloning do not work on a Dell Optiplex 7000: Hi, I have problem cloning drives on this particular new Dell PC, I'm able to clone all the partitions and the drive is booting but not successfully.There is something related with the BIOS TPM that I should be aware?Contacted Dell support and according to them they only...
  9. Any reason why disk cloning do not work on a Dell Optiplex 7000

Any reason why disk cloning do not work on a Dell Optiplex 7000: Hi, I have problem cloning drives on this particular new Dell PC, I'm able to clone all the partitions and the drive is booting but not successfully.There is something related with the BIOS TPM that I should be aware?Contacted Dell support and according to them they only...
  10. Any reason why disk cloning do not work on a Dell Optiplex 7000