Windows 10: Clone older 2014 laptop hard drive (running windows 10) to ssd then install the ssd into a...

Discus and support Clone older 2014 laptop hard drive (running windows 10) to ssd then install the ssd into a... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have cloned the 2014 hdd from an ASUS laptop to the ssd using free aomei cloning software. I then installed the ssd into a 2017 Lenovo laptop.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by William.Ferrando, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Clone older 2014 laptop hard drive (running windows 10) to ssd then install the ssd into a...

I have cloned the 2014 hdd from an ASUS laptop to the ssd using free aomei cloning software. I then installed the ssd into a 2017 Lenovo laptop. Windows will not run and I receive a blue recovery screen with error message "Error code: 0xc000000e". This hard drive is dual booted with Linux Mint using the grub menu. Of course Linux Mint works flawlessly. How do I get Windows 10 to work using the ssd in the 2017 machine?

Thank you for your help!

William

:)

William.Ferrando, Mar 14, 2019
  2. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Mar 14, 2019
  3. Migrating to a SSD - clone or fresh install?

Also to make it clear when cloning both the source (your hard drive) and the destination drive (your SSD) must both be connected.

When Imaging only the source (hard drive) and an external USB drive to store the image need be connected. After the Image Backup is created you remove the hard drive, connect the SSD and restore the image (using the image backup product's "Recovery Media"
    which you need to create and boot from) to the SSD. Most products also have a "SSD" option check box to properly configure the SSD offset.

You can read a product's user's guide to see exactly what step are required for cloning or imaging.

: http://www.pagestart.com

J W Stuart, Mar 14, 2019
  4. csiemers Win User

Clone older 2014 laptop hard drive (running windows 10) to ssd then install the ssd into a...

installing a ssd drive

1. Clone hard drive to new SSD.

2. When finished with cloning shut down computer.

3. Take out old hard drive and install SSD.

4. Boot computer.

csiemers, Mar 14, 2019
  5. Skylly
    Skylly Member
    Try running Startup repair.
    On a working computer, create an Installation media of Windows 10 that allows you to repair existing Windows Installation.

Skylly, Mar 15, 2019
Thema:

Clone older 2014 laptop hard drive (running windows 10) to ssd then install the ssd into a...

1. Clone older 2014 laptop hard drive (running windows 10) to ssd then install the ssd into a... - Similar Threads - Clone older 2014

2. Cloning Windows 10 Home to new SSD hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning Windows 10 Home to new SSD hard drive?: Hi Microsoft Community,I'm trying to clone my data and licensed version of Windows 10 Home from my old HHD drive to a new Crucial MX500 2.5 SSD using the Acronis True Image for Crucial software. It clones fine but when I install the new SSD hard drive into my laptop it will...
  3. Cloning Windows 10 Home to new SSD hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloning Windows 10 Home to new SSD hard drive?: Hi Microsoft Community,I'm trying to clone my data and licensed version of Windows 10 Home from my old HHD drive to a new Crucial MX500 2.5 SSD using the Acronis True Image for Crucial software. It clones fine but when I install the new SSD hard drive into my laptop it will...
  4. Cloning Windows 10 Home to new SSD hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Corrupt files after cloning hard drive to ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupt files after cloning hard drive to ssd: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located atwindir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offlinerepairs, details are included in the log file...
  6. Corrupt files after cloning hard drive to ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Corrupt files after cloning hard drive to ssd: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located atwindir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offlinerepairs, details are included in the log file...
  7. Trying to Clone SSD Drive to another SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Trying to Clone SSD Drive to another SSD Drive: Okay, So here's the thing. Laptop with small (16GB) Optane SSD & 1TB Seagate HDD failed. Retailer tried to repair, repair failed. Retailer replaced machine with new (lower spec) machine that only has m.2 NVMe PCIe sockets. Bought a small 'Proof-of-concept' SSD to check the...
  8. Cloning to a different brand of SSD hard drive

Cloning to a different brand of SSD hard drive: My operating system runs on a Corsair SSD hard drive. I plan to clone the OS to a much larger Samsung SSD hard drive using Acronis.. And I wonder if there will be any compatibility issues between the hard drives? 137880
  9. Windowss 10 cannot clone from SSD to Hard Drive

Windowss 10 cannot clone from SSD to Hard Drive: Is there a preferred program and method to simply clone an SSD install of Win10 to a freshly formatted hard disk with plenty of room. Format and MBR was done through Win10 on the SSD to the HD. I have been having a repeated problem of drive recognition after running Norton...
  10. SSD Clone to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD Clone to SSD: Hey, I am cloning several computers for work with the exact same hardware. I have a working computer with a SSD and HDD. When I clone the SSD and start up the same computer with the SSD switched windows will not load and it gives me the standard missing required files to...