Windows 10: Clone OS to second hard drive to boot in case of primary drive failure

Discus and support Clone OS to second hard drive to boot in case of primary drive failure in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I've read up on creating dual boot setups, and for a while had a second system on a partition of my only hard drive. Gave that up as unwieldy and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by tcebob, Feb 18, 2017.

1. tcebob Win User

Clone OS to second hard drive to boot in case of primary drive failure

I've read up on creating dual boot setups, and for a while had a second system on a partition of my only hard drive. Gave that up as unwieldy and installed a second disk for backups. I propose to install a copy of my OS on the new disk as a partition. Couple of questions:

1. When the primary drive fails will it be possible to boot to the second system?

2. Can I clone the entire system partition or will I have to reinstall a selection of software as needed?

:)

tcebob, Feb 18, 2017

2. Windows 10 desktop flashing after booting from backup hard drive

I have an HP p6770t desktop PC with two hard drives. The second hard drive is used as the target drive for the Seagate Discwizard clone function. The second hard drive is thus maintained as a boot-able backup hard drive. The clone function worked in
    Windows 7 and the clone was bootable. After cloning the primary hard drive containing Windows 10, I booted from the clone drive, the target backup hard drive. The boot process finished leaving the desk top flashing.

Questions.

1. Is this situation a problem or a "feature" of the Windows 10 anti-piracy policy?

2. If the flashing desktop is a "feature", how is the Windows 10 community going to be able to guard itself against the outages caused by head crashes if it cannot maintain a boot-able, backup hard drive?

The software license terms are found in the Settings area. Paragraph 2E discusses a backup copy. It says that: "You may make a single copy of the software for backup purposes." The single copy was on a hard drive in the same PC. I do not know if
    Windows 10 records the serial number of the PC as a part of the installation. My PC is the only user of the software and my PC came from the manufacturer with Windows 7 installed. Everything is legal.

Post Script. I have two hard drives on my PC, primary and disaster recovery (DR) backup. I had copied my primary to my backup prior to Windows 10 upgrade. I ran with Windows 10 for over two weeks and then copied it to my DR backup drive. The Windows
    7 is now gone. I tried to boot from my backup drive and I got this problem. Problems then started to occur on my primary drive. Windows 10 recovered a few times and then died.

My PC was dead because of Windows 10!!!! Windows 10 KILLED my PC.

I reinstalled Windows 7 on the DR drive and restored my documents file from an XHD. I kept the primary HD as is with a corrupted Windows 10 so that I can possibly recover the many other software packages on that drive. I purchased another HD so that
    I can copy the Windows 7 DR drive to the new HD which then can be used as an OS to reinstall Windows 10 at a MUCH later date. I will download Windows 10 to a DVD and boot from the DVD and use the corrupted primary as the target. I told a friend about
    these problems, she just smiled and said that she has a " Mac ".

Windows 10 has been living Hell.

FrankBartling, Feb 18, 2017
  3. arte358 Win User
    When upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, update fails and I get 80070002-20009 error

Perhaps the Windows 10 upgrade package sees the OS on cloned drives as unauthorized duplications? How many in this thread are booting from cloned drives (including me)?

arte358, Feb 18, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

If you choose to do a Clone of your OS HDD to a secondary HDD, not an image file, When the main OS drive fails, you can replace it with the Cloned HDD. It will be a mirror image of he OS drive, programs and all, from the day it was cloned. It will not have any newer files or programs added after the day the clone was made.

spunk, Feb 19, 2017
  5. AddRAM Win User
    That`s an excellent idea, do you plan to keep the cloned drive running or will you remove/unplug it from the system ?

AddRAM, Feb 19, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    If you clone it and leave it plugged in it can give problems as you have 2 drives with the same disk signature. With a clone you only have one copy if you image it will compress so you can keep several copies but you would need a drrive to image it back to you can shedule a image so its done auto so it uptodate

Samuria, Feb 19, 2017
  7. AddRAM Win User
    I would use a ssd to clone to, when you`re done, test the clone then remove it and put it right back in the box and put it in the desk drawer.

As long as your main drive is still running fine you could re clone in the future.

AddRAM, Feb 19, 2017
  8. tcebob Win User

Thanks, all. So I can't clone to a partition, it would have to be a whole disk. The word "clone" refers to an entire disk.

But I can install a second OS on the partition as a dual boot. Now, if the primary drive fails, will the pc automatically boot to the alternate OS or is there a method to do so?

tcebob, Feb 19, 2017
  9. 1. No, you can clone (copy) to a partition.
    2. Yes.
    3. No but depends on the "failure" & no, not for you. Server versions might have this capability.

Cloning as a backup is not the best solution. Creating images is preferred because they use about half the space, so you can keep more than one. You can create images weekly or bi-weekly or monthly, whatever you choose. I use Macrium Reflect Free.

Comp Cmndo, Feb 19, 2017
  10. tcebob Win User
    yes, I'm looking at Macrium as we speak.

So, in recap, a dual boot drive will not be bootable if the primary drive fails.

Oh, well . . .

tcebob, Feb 20, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes, it will, if it has a FAT32 EFI System partition on it (for UEFI computers) and the BCD points to the OS partition on the drive.

NavyLCDR, Feb 20, 2017
  12. tcebob Win User
    Far as I can tell I'm Bios, not UEFI. So I will assume it won't work.

tcebob, Feb 20, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Yes, you can. In a legacy BIOS system you just have to have a partition marked as active with the boot files in that partition and the BCD pointing to the OS on that drive.

I would suggest you download EasyBCD and read the tutorials on their website. With both EasyBCD and Macrium Reflect it is very easy to make a bootable backup hard drive.

I have a hard drive tray installed in the front of my computer:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7641-_-Product

I have a self-contained bootable hard drive I can pop into the tray, select it to boot from in UEFI and it dual boots Windows 7 Home and Pro stored on that hard drive. I could just as easily clone Windows 10 from my permanent SSD to the hard drive and boot from it.

Clone OS to second hard drive to boot in case of primary drive failure [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Clone OS to second hard drive to boot in case of primary drive failure - Similar Threads - Clone second hard

2. Cloning a hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cloning a hard drive: Original OS - Windows 8.1Current OS - Windows 10My Dell Desktop won't boot up. Diagnostics shows my HDD is OK. I was wanting to copy everything to a backup drive before I tried to re-install Windows 8.1 original OS. I pulled the HDD WD 1TB SATA, attached a SATA to USB cable...
  3. Cloning a hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning a hard drive: Original OS - Windows 8.1Current OS - Windows 10My Dell Desktop won't boot up. Diagnostics shows my HDD is OK. I was wanting to copy everything to a backup drive before I tried to re-install Windows 8.1 original OS. I pulled the HDD WD 1TB SATA, attached a SATA to USB cable...
  4. Cloning a hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cloning Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning Hard Drive: I use an ssd for booting windows and I had a bad 1TB hard drive which I'm now cloning to a better 2TB hard drive using Macrium Reflect. The cloning is almost done (90%) but I have a few questions. How does it work with the download/picture/documents folder in File...
  6. Cloning OS drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning OS drive: I'm running 10 on a refurb'd Dell which came with 10 on an SSD. I would like to make a bootable clone of the OS on a 2nd SSD of the same size (128 gig). I've used Macrium in the past to clone a 7 OS disk, worked fine, but I have read a few threads online where a user has...
  7. Macrium USB boot to clone hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium USB boot to clone hard drive: Am using Macrium personal free version;I find it a great product. I use it to clone my laptop hard drive to a spare hard drive connected via USB in case laptop hard drive fail. Well I had a failure the other day in the laptop hard drive. It could boot but was somewhat non...
  8. Hard drive clone

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hard drive clone: Hey: Can I create a cloned drive by cloning to a hd on my PC from my laptop drive & then from the PC to SSD? I only have 1 cable & my laptop will not boot. Both machines have win10 upgrades - 1 from win7 pro -PC & 1 from win 8 home - laptop....
  9. windows 10 clone hard drive will no boot

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    windows 10 clone hard drive will no boot: Hi I cloned my hard drive a Seagate 2T to a WD 2T using acronics software I removed my Seagate drive and plugged in my WD drive in the same spot and system would not boot tried using windows 10 repair disk no luck plugged the Seagate drive back in booted??? 33749
  10. Hard drive/OS/Cloning Issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard drive/OS/Cloning Issue: So I have a laptop with two 500 GB hard drives in it. I was going to clone these two drives using a Wavlink USB 3.0 dual bay docking station , and clone them onto a pair of 2 TB drives. Some how my two source drives have become not boot able. I have connected...