Windows 10: Clone SSD to bigger SSD

Discus and support Clone SSD to bigger SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Been trying to get my new 480 gig Sandisk to take a direct clone from my old Sandisk 128 gig SSD and all the programs I've tried keep assigning... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Dartman, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Dartman Win User

Clone SSD to bigger SSD

Been trying to get my new 480 gig Sandisk to take a direct clone from my old Sandisk 128 gig SSD and all the programs I've tried keep assigning separate drive letters to each partition and then the bigger SSD wont even boot right. It boots to a blank 10 blue screen with two icons in the taskbar then starts blinking from that screen to a completely blank screen. It even somehow messed up my 128 but I was able to restore it to a time just before it got upgraded and it is booting fine again to the old SSD. I've tried the free clone program that they let you download from WD and it does like all the other free versions I've tried, separate drive letters for each partition then of course it doesn't boot properly. I've got the Acronis WD edition, Easus, macroit, anything I can find free that has good reviews.
    I have always had no problem upgrading a normal boot hard drive to a bigger one but SSD to SSD must require some special settings or other steps I don't understand. I poked around here and even tried making a image but that didn't work either so I just need to know what to use that's free or cheap and how to set it up so it actually clone without adding extra drive letters and just acts like my old boot SSD only on the new bigger SSD
    Thanks, Terry

:)

Dartman, Aug 5, 2018
  2. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Aug 5, 2018
  3. Garrisonq Win User
    Cloning HDD to SSD KEEPS FAILING

I have a Samsung SSD, so I am using the Samsung data migration application.

Garrisonq, Aug 5, 2018
  4. cadaveca Win User

Clone SSD to bigger SSD

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Aug 5, 2018
Thema:

Clone SSD to bigger SSD

1. Clone SSD to bigger SSD - Similar Threads - Clone SSD bigger

2. Cloned Laptop HDD to bigger SSD and can't use additional memory of SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloned Laptop HDD to bigger SSD and can't use additional memory of SSD: Hello, I bought a new 1TB SSD for the Medion P6634 and cloned the old 500GB HDD with clonezilla. Everything works fine as long as i clone the old HDD 1:1 and do not try to use the setting in clonezilla to directly make use of the additional capacity of the SSD to enlarge...
  3. Cloned Laptop HDD to bigger SSD and can't use additional memory of SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloned Laptop HDD to bigger SSD and can't use additional memory of SSD: Hello, I bought a new 1TB SSD for the Medion P6634 and cloned the old 500GB HDD with clonezilla. Everything works fine as long as i clone the old HDD 1:1 and do not try to use the setting in clonezilla to directly make use of the additional capacity of the SSD to enlarge...
  4. SSD to SSD clone, cloned SSD has poor performance

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD to SSD clone, cloned SSD has poor performance: Hi all, Cloned the OEM drive in an HP Elitebook 850 G5 yesterday, to a Kingston A2000. I used Clonezilla, everything went off without a hitch. The reason for this was because I needed more space; 250GB to 500. Throw the new drive in, boot up, and the thing is quite slow....
  5. Upgrade to a bigger SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade to a bigger SSD: Hello everyone, I’ve recently bought a new 512GB SSD to replace my 128GB one which is at 78GB full so I looked up how to clone my old data on the new one and found ways to do it with an external ssd reader and Macrium reflect and i bought a MMCRRX SSD M.2 USB C Box supporting...
  6. Upgrade to a bigger SSD..

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to a bigger SSD..: I would like to increase my diskspace in my windows 10 desktop by upgrading present Samsung SSD from 500GB to a 1TB SSD. How do I go about it?I would prefer to do it without any third party apps like Mini Partition Tool for partitioning the 1TB SSD into two partitions.What do...
  7. Clone ssd

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone ssd: Hi all if I want to install a 500gb ssd can I clone my 120 ssd to it. Its not my c drive its the g drive I just need more room for games I will be giving the old ssd to my son to make a boot drive 67592
  8. Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.

Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.: Hello there I purchased a Crucial MX300 525gb SSD to upgrade my laptop storage, that has an Intel Opal SSD 180gb on it. I need more space My idea was to clone the information from one SSD (intel is now inside the laptop) to the bigger SSD (using an USB-SATA cable and...
  9. SSD Clone to SSD

SSD Clone to SSD: Hey, I am cloning several computers for work with the exact same hardware. I have a working computer with a SSD and HDD. When I clone the SSD and start up the same computer with the SSD switched windows will not load and it gives me the standard missing required files to...
  10. Cloning to SSD

Cloning to SSD: First question here on 10 forum but used 7 forum lots. Anyway I am trying to clone the HDD? reduced partion to 450GB so as to be less than theSSD on my laptop. Trying to clone to a Samsung EVO 850 500GB. I have used the Samsung migration software and a version of EaseUS both...