Windows 10: clone SSD to usb question

Discus and support clone SSD to usb question in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; if i clone my ssd to usb what can be done with the cloned info ? 1 - lets say my ssd dies can i buy a new one and install windows then plug in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by icco, Mar 28, 2021.

1. icco Win User

clone SSD to usb question

if i clone my ssd to usb what can be done with the cloned info ?

1 - lets say my ssd dies can i buy a new one and install windows then plug in the usb and clone from it ?

2 - lets say my laptop dies and i buy a DIFFERENT model can the usb cloned info go onto it or wont work cause different model laptop ?

:)

2. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook | Tom's Hardware

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Mar 28, 2021
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Mar 28, 2021
  4. clone SSD to usb question

Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD

Hi,

I'm not using the SATA ports. I'm using M.2 with the SSD, and the external SSD is connected to my PC using USB. My MB only has only one M.2 socket, so I can only plug in one SSD at a time. (I bought a wrong adapter that doesn't work with NVMe) So I cloned
    my old SSD to an external SSD (Samsung M3 Portable SSD), and then swapped the old one, cloned the external SSD to my new SSD.

I tried AOMEI too, but the free version does not come with disk clone functions. I would probably try Macrium Reflect as suggested above. Thank you!

allenyao09, Mar 28, 2021
Thema:

clone SSD to usb question

1. clone SSD to usb question - Similar Threads - clone SSD usb

2. Clone Win10 pro SSD Questions

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone Win10 pro SSD Questions: Hello everyone! I'm new here and so far, have done five successful upgrades from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro. All activated fine. These were fresh installs to new SSDs using the old Win7 Pro keys entered during installation or embedded bios . My question is for two identical...
  3. cloning C: System Drive to SSD questions

cloning C: System Drive to SSD questions: I seek clarification for three groups of questions I have about cloning my C: Drive to SSD 1) On my C: HDD (Windows 10) there was still a 60 GB Recovery Partition with the original W8. I have deleted this and extended the main partition with the 60 GB (I did this mainly...
  4. cloning C: System Drive to SSD questions

in Windows 10 Support
    cloning C: System Drive to SSD questions: I seek clarification for three groups of questions I have about cloning my C: Drive to SSD 1) On my C: HDD (Windows 10) there was still a 60 GB Recovery Partition with the original W8. I have deleted this and extended the main partition with the 60 GB (I did this mainly...
  5. Problems with bootable System Clone on USB-SSD

Problems with bootable System Clone on USB-SSD: For years I tried to get a running Windows system with all installed software that is bootable from USB, it never worked. Then came Microsoft with Windows To Go, but this supports only a few special USB sticks. The mini solution I then found is WinToUSB that at least can...
  6. Cloning SSD via External USB Drive

Cloning SSD via External USB Drive: I just acquired a second laptop identical to the one I have. I will have exactly the same configuration on both and keep them in sync. I need to clone the SSD to the new SSD, but I don't have access to a desktop or eSATA port. Is there a way to use Macrium Reflect to clone...
  7. Clone ssd

Clone ssd: Hi all if I want to install a 500gb ssd can I clone my 120 ssd to it. Its not my c drive its the g drive I just need more room for games I will be giving the old ssd to my son to make a boot drive 67592
  8. Question on switching from hdd to ssd without cloning

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question on switching from hdd to ssd without cloning: My laptop hdd is about 7 years old so i'm switching to an ssd. I've seen all the info on cloning etc.. but I'm wondering if I can just do a clean install of Windows 10 on the new drive and go from there.. My original OS was Windows 7 and that's what I have discs for.. but...
  9. SSD Clone to SSD

SSD Clone to SSD: Hey, I am cloning several computers for work with the exact same hardware. I have a working computer with a SSD and HDD. When I clone the SSD and start up the same computer with the SSD switched windows will not load and it gives me the standard missing required files to...
  10. Cloning to SSD

Cloning to SSD: First question here on 10 forum but used 7 forum lots. Anyway I am trying to clone the HDD? reduced partion to 450GB so as to be less than theSSD on my laptop. Trying to clone to a Samsung EVO 850 500GB. I have used the Samsung migration software and a version of EaseUS both...