Windows 10: Clone/System transfer from one PC to another MBR to GPT, BIOS to UEFI

Discus and support Clone/System transfer from one PC to another MBR to GPT, BIOS to UEFI in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows version 20H2 19042.985 I have an Intel NUC micro PC windows 10 that has a 512 2.5 SSD in it that I use as a low powered server. The SSD is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JDubbedN, Jun 4, 2021.

1. JDubbedN Win User

Clone/System transfer from one PC to another MBR to GPT, BIOS to UEFI

Windows version 20H2 19042.985 I have an Intel NUC micro PC windows 10 that has a 512 2.5 SSD in it that I use as a low powered server. The SSD is partitioned in MBR. I purchased a new micro PC with AMD Ryzen 7 Pro as an upgrade with an NVME. As I have done many times before, I am using EaseUS System Transfer to transfer the OS from the Intel NUC to the AMD PC and it has worked perfectly in the passed. However, this time the setup is a bit different with the AMD machine not supporting BIOS/MBR but only supporting UEFI/GPT. However, here is the problem I encounter. The new AMD doesn't support BIOS, doesn't support MBR. It only supports UEFI with GPT partitions. Why? I don't know but the manufacturer confirmed it. So when I run the EaseUS system transfer software it backs up the Intel NUC PC which is MBR, converts it to GPT and then restores the data. So now the AMD NVME machine has a complete clone from the Intel NUC. However, it will not boot. I believe it is because the proper EFI files are not present on the cloned. So my question is, is it possible to correctly configure the AMD machine to boot with the proper EFI files? If so how? Do I need to perform bootrec /FixBoot? Thanks!

:)

JDubbedN, Jun 4, 2021

2. Transferring from BIOS/MBR system to UEFI/GPT

You may try to use third-party cloning program to clone MBR drive to new GPT one but there is no warranty of success.

Igor Leyko, Jun 4, 2021
  3. RickW1255 Win User
    Transferring from BIOS/MBR system to UEFI/GPT

This may be clear as mud, but I'm going to give it a shot.

The SSD on my Dell 3847 computer failed, so I connected it as a secondary drive to another, older Dell (660) and was able to copy a lot of files off of it. That older computer has an HDD; I used it while waiting for Sandisk to send a replacement SSD.

I first cloned the HDD in the 660 to my new SSD, but when I put it back in the newer computer, it couldn't be read; it said there was no boot file (if I remember correctly). I then created a system image of the older drive and tried to install it in the newer
    one with my new SSD, but that failed because the older one has BIOS with an MBR formatted HDD, and the newer one didn't like that; it has UEFI and wants to format to GPT. I then set about trying to convert the older one to GPT so a system image could be read
    on the new SSD, but found that, if I could do that at all, it would required wiping that drive, which is precisely what I didn't want to do. And I found that apparently the motherboard of the older computer can't work with UEFI anyway. The two Dell computers
    aren't all that different in their specs, so I never expected there to be a difficulty.

I read in a few places that EFI is backward compatible with BIOS, but I got an error message saying that was the problem (when I tried to install the system image). Other online sources said they are incompatible in either direction. Since I can't get my
    old 660 to use UEFI, I'm stuck. It seems pretty clear to me that there is no way to clone (or create a system image of) the older HDD and have it work in the newer one. I went ahead and started from scratch with the newer one, using a Windows recovery drive,
    but I hate to have to set up all my programs. Am I right? Is there no other way?

RickW1255, Jun 4, 2021
  4. Clone/System transfer from one PC to another MBR to GPT, BIOS to UEFI

GPT vs MBR for SSD OS Disk ? (win7 install)

So

I've got a new PC coming and this time it's the first time I will be using UEFI, i have read all the big stuff but I don't have the hardware yet so It's still kind of half baked but I'll do dig deep into it once I start building in the coming days.

I've read the win7 install guides, MS GPT FAQs (not fully yet), etc,

But I wish to know if:

I can use UEFI as an upgraded bios without having to use GPT disk format?

GPT disks can have any sort of partition cloning for full operational OS backup ?

Will GPT format improve performance on SDD or improve reliability in terms of data integrity or error rate?

When isntalling win7 with MBR but using UEFI, will it work normally without needing to uefi-boot the window7 install?

If I cannot backup my OS in a 100% clone that will boot normally when recovered, i will probably not use GPT, that shit is a step backward.

RuskiSnajper, Jun 4, 2021
Thema:

Clone/System transfer from one PC to another MBR to GPT, BIOS to UEFI

1. Clone/System transfer from one PC to another MBR to GPT, BIOS to UEFI - Similar Threads - Clone System transfer

2. legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT: I would to know how easy it is to change Legacy Mode to UEFI and change MBR to GPT ? I remember changing another pc...is this the command ... C: \ windows \ system32>MBR2GPT.EXE / convert / allowfullos Have checked disk management and my Asus K31ADE pc is in Legacy Mode and...
  3. legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Support
    legacy mode to UEFI-MBR to GPT: I would to know how easy it is to change Legacy Mode to UEFI and change MBR to GPT ? I remember changing another pc...is this the command ... C: \ windows \ system32>MBR2GPT.EXE / convert / allowfullos Have checked disk management and my Asus K31ADE pc is in Legacy Mode and...
  4. MBR to GPT. UEFI issue HP laptop.

in Windows 10 Customization
    MBR to GPT. UEFI issue HP laptop.: I converted my disk from MBR to GPT using CMD. Now in bios I have selected UEFI and disabled legacy, but OS is not booting. How do I get it to boot?...
  5. No Recovery Partition after clone, and MBR to GPT.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No Recovery Partition after clone, and MBR to GPT.: Hey fellas, Moving forward from this thread.....(just for reference.....Help with SSD boot drive change) Single boot drive MBR was cloned with Macrium to larger ssd and removed smaller ssd. Windows booted fine. MBR2GPT converted the new drive, but gave the...
  6. Windows 10 Clean Install - Legacy BIOS/MBR vs. UEFI/GPT

Windows 10 Clean Install - Legacy BIOS/MBR vs. UEFI/GPT: My computer is several years old, but the main boot drive was replaced less than 3 months ago. Earlier this week an attempt to apply the version 2004 update rendered the computer unbootable 0xc0000098. After much googling, trying many things, and a help forum thread, I ended...
  7. I want to switch from MBR (BIOS) to GPT (UEFI)

in Windows 10 Support
    I want to switch from MBR (BIOS) to GPT (UEFI): Hello everyone, I have Samsung EVO 860 SSD, I have Windows 10 and partition style is MBR, while my second HDD I bought few days ago is in GPT and his size is 2TB The reason I want to switch my OS and my main SSD where the OS is located in general to GPT is that I heard it's...
  8. Transferring w10 from one pc to another?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transferring w10 from one pc to another?: I have a Digital license (retail, not OEM) of w10 pro on an old laptop that I no longer use. I want to remove this license from the laptop and put it onto a completely new PC. Completely different components. I've read all the articles on this I could find, however I hadn't...
  9. Transferring from BIOS/MBR system to UEFI/GPT

Transferring from BIOS/MBR system to UEFI/GPT: This may be clear as mud, but I'm going to give it a shot. The SSD on my Dell 3847 computer failed, so I connected it as a secondary drive to another, older Dell (660) and was able to copy a lot of files off of it. That older computer has an HDD; I used it while waiting for...
  10. Bitlocker with Windows 10 and EFI/UEFI Bios and Legacy Bios + MBR or GPT disk

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker with Windows 10 and EFI/UEFI Bios and Legacy Bios + MBR or GPT disk: Hello, I've read alot online about all of the scenarios for bitlocker and using Windows 10 with TPM 2.0. I've read things that said bitlocker encryption is not possible if it's a Win 10 box with TPM 2.0 bios in Legacy mode. It must be UEFI/EFI to work. Is this correct?...