Windows 10: Clone Windows 10 threshold 2 to USB SSD NOT BOOTING

Discus and support Clone Windows 10 threshold 2 to USB SSD NOT BOOTING in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Dell XPS8700 that came with Windows 8.1, which was upgraded to Windows 10 and upgraded again to threshold 2. I used Acronics True Image 2014... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mjcjr, Nov 29, 2015.

1. mjcjr Win User

Clone Windows 10 threshold 2 to USB SSD NOT BOOTING

I have a Dell XPS8700 that came with Windows 8.1, which was upgraded to Windows 10 and upgraded again to threshold 2.
    I used Acronics True Image 2014 premium to backup my Drive C: partition on disk0 which was resized to 223 GB
    The remaining space on disk0 was formatted NTFS in a new partition as Drive D:
    Disk1 is a 2 TB Western Digital Green Drive was formatted NTFS in a new partition as Drive E: for files.
    I used Acronics to restore the backup image to a Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD inserted into a USB 3.0 drive dock.
    The SSD drive (disk2) Drive L: was formatted with GPT and NTFS.

Clone Windows 10 threshold 2 to USB SSD NOT BOOTING [​IMG]

I used EasyBCD to create a new entry for the SSD drive.

Clone Windows 10 threshold 2 to USB SSD NOT BOOTING [​IMG]

I changed the UEFI secure boot to off.
    When I reboot & choose the new entry from the boot manager, Windows aborts loading & gives me the message that your PC ran into problems & needs to restart. We’ll restart for you.
    I tried to use startup repair on that drive, but it failed.
    If I switch the boot options priority to legacy mode, Windows tells me there is no boot device found. (this makes sense because the EFI partition is on disk0)

LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR HELP

:)

mjcjr, Nov 29, 2015
  2. J. B.M Win User

SSD cloned from HDD and now only Disc is recognised by Win 10 Upgrade as usb

I cloned my Windows. I removed the HDD and replaced it with the SSD and now cannot Upgrade as the SSD, the only Disc on my laptop is recognised as usb.

Any bright ideas please?

J. B.M, Nov 29, 2015
  3. Copied system to SSD, now Windows 10 thinks it's a Windows to Go installation

I would not clone to an SSD connected by USB and expect it to perform correctly.

Windows does not install to USB except using Windows To Go or extensive workarounds. That Acronis allowed this may be a bug or faulty Windows To Go clone which has affected the registry setting to correct this.

Best to start over and use internal SATA connections.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 29, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

One reason is probably going to be because the USB 3.0 driver is most likely loaded by Windows, so the USB 3.0 port is not going to be available to the boot loader.

NavyLCDR, Nov 29, 2015
Thema:

1. Clone Windows 10 threshold 2 to USB SSD NOT BOOTING - Similar Threads - Clone threshold USB

2. cloned ssd not booting windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cloned ssd not booting windows.: Hi - I have recently installed a 2nd faster m2 drive. I had the intention of moving everything over to the new ssd including windows to see if it would be a faster response when working with large CAD files. The existing Adata ssd was cloned over to the new samsung ssd, both...
  3. Cloned SSD not booting on Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloned SSD not booting on Windows: I recently cloned my crucial MX500 1TB SSD from my hard drive successfully on a Dell XPS 8700 4th generation computer. When I removed the hard drive and installed the SSD into the same SATA slot and restarted the desktop I received an error code of 0xc0000225 indicating a...
  4. Cloned SSD not booting on Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloned SSD not booting on Windows: I recently cloned my crucial MX500 1TB SSD from my hard drive successfully on a Dell XPS 8700 4th generation computer. When I removed the hard drive and installed the SSD into the same SATA slot and restarted the desktop I received an error code of 0xc0000225 indicating a...
  5. Cloned SSD not booting to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cloned SSD not booting to Windows 10: So I have installed a new 1TB SSD to migrate my C drive from a 118 GB SSD that was full to the brim. I successfully cloned all partitions to the new drive using Macrium Reflect and, using Diskpart, I cleaned the old SSD thinking that the mobo would recognize the drive and...
  6. Cloned M.2 Boot SSD to Sata SSD, How do I boot to the cloned drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloned M.2 Boot SSD to Sata SSD, How do I boot to the cloned drive?: My Windows is Windows 10 Pro Version 1909. I have a Western Digital SN750 M.2 NVME SSD. It has my Windows 10 Installation and a Data Partition. I recently bought a Samsung 960 Evo which is a Sata SSD. They are both 1 TB. I used the Samsung Data Migration Tool to Clone my...
  7. Cloned M.2 Boot SSD to Sata SSD, How do I boot to the cloned drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloned M.2 Boot SSD to Sata SSD, How do I boot to the cloned drive?: My Windows is Windows 10 Pro Version 1909. I have a Western Digital SN750 M.2 NVME SSD. It has my Windows 10 Installation and a Data Partition. I recently bought a Samsung 960 Evo which is a Sata SSD. They are both 1 TB. I used the Samsung Data Migration Tool to Clone my...
  8. Windows 10 Threshold 2

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Threshold 2: Should I update first to build 10240 or wait till November? Also, will the Media Creation Tool update itself directly to the new build? Insiders, what is new in this update apart from UI changes? 27347
  9. Windows 10 - Clone to SSD Will Not Boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 - Clone to SSD Will Not Boot: I have a Dell Latitude E6520 with a Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS HDD, i7 CPU, Nvidia NVS4200M dedicated graphics, and 16 Gigs RAM. It has run Windows 7, 64 bit for several years like a champ. I got the auto update to Windows 10 which originally had a 'flashing screen'...
  10. Superfetch and SSD's in Threshold 2

in Windows 10 Support
    Superfetch and SSD's in Threshold 2: Threshold 2 has re-enabled superfetch on my PC (only SSD's on my system). I have waited over a week, run Winsat formal, etc. but superfetch remains on. Has anyone experienced this? Before I manually disable the service I would welcome any suggestions etc. PS: the...