Windows 10: Cloned 128gb SSD to 1tb SSD w/ Lsoft Active Boot - Neither drive boots

Discus and support Cloned 128gb SSD to 1tb SSD w/ Lsoft Active Boot - Neither drive boots in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I was upgrading the SSD in a dell inspiron 13" laptop running windows 10 home from 128gb to 1tb. I used Lsoft Active boot to clone the disk. Once it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by CupOfJava, Feb 12, 2021.

1. CupOfJava Win User

Cloned 128gb SSD to 1tb SSD w/ Lsoft Active Boot - Neither drive boots

I was upgrading the SSD in a dell inspiron 13" laptop running windows 10 home from 128gb to 1tb. I used Lsoft Active boot to clone the disk. Once it completed, I booted to the cloned ssd while it was connected via usb to sata adapter cable, and it worked fine. I removed the original ssd and installed the cloned drive directly into the laptop and it would not boot. I re-installed the original drive and it would not boot. I have tried the auto repair tool to no avail. I have also tried various command line (launched command prompt from windows bootable usb drive in advanced options) from other discussions and nothing has resolved my boot issue.

I have attached screen shots of the drives in both disk management and AOMEI Partition Assistant. Disk 2 is my tower's installed M.2 drive. Disk 1 is the original drive from the laptop, and disk 0 is the cloned 1tb drive. I have tried repair options with the drives as MBR and GPT. Maybe I missed something, but if anyone can recommend a solution, I will try anything at this point.

I would like to avoid a fresh install if at all possible to avoid losing user configurations / and having to buy a new license for windows.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
    Cloned 128gb SSD to 1tb SSD w/ Lsoft Active Boot - Neither drive boots [​IMG]

Cloned 128gb SSD to 1tb SSD w/ Lsoft Active Boot - Neither drive boots [​IMG]

:)

CupOfJava, Feb 12, 2021
  2. Tryx3 Win User

boot from cloned ssd installed on cd drive

I have to assume that the cloning software you used made the SSD bootable. You can only confirm that by checking the software's documentation and confirming that you followed the procedure correctly.

I also assume that you have made a system image of the HDD. I also assume that you made a Recovery drive or a System repair disk unless you have an installation disk [which can also do the same job]. You will need this if the cloning has not worked correctly
    and you need to restore your system.

The BIOS might not be capable of booting from a SSD/HDD in the CD bay. Whilst that can be a convenient location for doing the cloning, you will almost certainly need to remove the original HDD and fit the SSD
    in its bay instead.

Put the old HDD in a USB enclosure so that it can be used as a storage drive but do not connect it to the computer while you are trying to get the SSD to boot. Bootable HDDs & SSDs have "signatures" that the system will look for during booting and finding
    multiple signatures will confuse it & probably stop it booting at all.

If, when the SSD has proved itself, you decide to fit the old HDD in the CD bay as an onboard additional storage drive then you will need to format it first so hold off on this until you are completely confident in the SSD.

- - - - - - - - -

When I did this job last year, I used Acronis TI to "clone" to the SSD. Actually, what I did was use Acronis TI to restore a system image to the SSD. That is, in effect, cloning it but I thought that it would be a more reliable way of doing it as TI system
    images are tolerant of changed hardware being found.

• I put the SSD in the CD bay to do the image restoration.
    • I removed the old HDD and put the SSD in its bay.
    • The SSD booted correctly.
    • After a while, I reformatted the old HDD and fitted it in the CD bay as an onboard additional storage drive.

Best of luck,

Denis

Tryx3, Feb 12, 2021
  3. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Feb 12, 2021
  4. Tryx3 Win User

boot from cloned ssd installed on cd drive

Mahesh,

I do not know what is wrong because I do not know anything about the cloning tool you used. I suspect that the missing element might well be the MBR - this needs to be included as it is the MBR that the computer looks to in order to identify the disk to
    boot from.

Note that my SSD did not end up with those two additional partitions before the boot partition:-

Cloned 128gb SSD to 1tb SSD w/ Lsoft Active Boot - Neither drive boots cfdc1e2c-2024-4226-a714-9db0e81427d7.jpg

• Mine just has the System reserved partition before the boot partition. Your first one was probably called the System reserved partition on your original HDD but has lost its name in the cloning - that makes me doubt the success of the cloning procedure/tool.
    • I don't know what the original purpose of that 16MB RAW partition was.

• I followed the procedure suggested by the regular forum contributor JWStuart at

How to move from a smaller SSD to a larger SSD
      . I know that JWS was changing SSDs rather than replacing an HDD with an SSD but the procedure was still generally applicable.
    • I used
      Acronis TI
      to restore a system image to the SSD. It was bootable straightaway. [Acronis have always provided a free 30 day trial version that you might wish to use]
    • I used
      MiniTool Partition Wizard
      to set up "partition alignment" / "partition offset" but that was definitely used in setting up afterwards [the SSD booted beforehand with no problems].

The only sensible suggestion I can make is that you repeat the whole procedure using JWS's guide and basing it on a system image of your HDD that is restored to the SSD.

You might also benefit from changing the title of your question [click on the blue
    Edit control just underneath the question]. If you call it something like
    Cloned SSD does not boot then you are more likely to attract the attention of those skilled in this subject such as JWStuart.

Best of luck,

Denis

Tryx3, Feb 12, 2021
Thema:

1. Cloned 128gb SSD to 1tb SSD w/ Lsoft Active Boot - Neither drive boots - Similar Threads - Cloned 128gb SSD

2. cloned ssd not booting windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cloned ssd not booting windows.: Hi - I have recently installed a 2nd faster m2 drive. I had the intention of moving everything over to the new ssd including windows to see if it would be a faster response when working with large CAD files. The existing Adata ssd was cloned over to the new samsung ssd, both...
  3. cloned ssd not booting windows.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cloned ssd not booting windows.: Hi - I have recently installed a 2nd faster m2 drive. I had the intention of moving everything over to the new ssd including windows to see if it would be a faster response when working with large CAD files. The existing Adata ssd was cloned over to the new samsung ssd, both...
  4. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: On Feb 8 I asked this question. I have follow-on questions, but could not add to previous question. Although my Old too-small win10 PRO C:\ still works perfectly, I am still unable to get my Cloned 1TB D:\ drive to boot, although the D: appears correctly cloned except for the...
  5. Cloned SSD not booting on Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloned SSD not booting on Windows: I recently cloned my crucial MX500 1TB SSD from my hard drive successfully on a Dell XPS 8700 4th generation computer. When I removed the hard drive and installed the SSD into the same SATA slot and restarted the desktop I received an error code of 0xc0000225 indicating a...
  6. Cloned SSD not booting on Windows

Cloned SSD not booting on Windows: I recently cloned my crucial MX500 1TB SSD from my hard drive successfully on a Dell XPS 8700 4th generation computer. When I removed the hard drive and installed the SSD into the same SATA slot and restarted the desktop I received an error code of 0xc0000225 indicating a...
  7. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: I have a DIY desktop that I built in 2013 and installed as I remember win8. It has been automatically updating since then. It now has the latest version of Win10. I still runs well. My problem is that the win10 C: SSD drive is too small 256GB. I purchased a larger 1TB SSD. I...
  8. SSD Cloned but won't boot

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    SSD Cloned but won't boot: Greetings, I am trying to upgrade my laptop SSD into a larger size NVME. After looking up how to do that, I used Macrium Reflect to clone my old SSD into the new one. I then replaced the old SSD with the new, but it did not boot. I checked this forum here and found a common...
  9. I Cloned my 1TB HDD to a New SSD, both 1TB in Size, but the Cloned SSD Won't boot from USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I Cloned my 1TB HDD to a New SSD, both 1TB in Size, but the Cloned SSD Won't boot from USB: Hi! On Thursday, I bought a New SK Hynix 1 TB Hard Drive, figuring I'd upgrade my 3 year old Dell Inspiron 3567 laptop that understandably is slowing down over time. So I downloaded Macrium Reflect Free edition and connected my SSD via SATA to USB 3.0 cable to the USB 3.0...
  10. Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive: I'm sure I screwed something up, but here's my situation. I bought an SSD, unfortunately a little smaller than I should have. In using free Macrium Reflect software to clone my original main drive, I realized I needed a few more gigs of space. The operation requires moving...