Windows 10: Cloned 8.1 drive - keep or use for 10 back-ups?

Discus and support Cloned 8.1 drive - keep or use for 10 back-ups? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I currently have a cloned 8.1 drive that is unplugged and was done only for back-up before installing 10. Question, since I have no plans to go back to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Gramps, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Gramps Win User

Cloned 8.1 drive - keep or use for 10 back-ups?

I currently have a cloned 8.1 drive that is unplugged and was done only for back-up before installing 10. Question, since I have no plans to go back to 8.1 I wonder if I should just use it as a test bed for new 10 releases? I guess I could hang on to it but it seems like a waste (until I need it). Maybe just pop-in a new HDD, they are fairly cheap now a days. Opinions?

:)

Gramps, Sep 20, 2015

2. Windows 10 issues

download macrium reflect. clone windows 10 to the other drive. boot from other drive download windows 8.install windows 8 download windows 8.1. install windows 8.1 then upgrade to windows 10,and clone to original drive.

Marcus Agrippa, Sep 20, 2015
  3. When upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, update fails and I get 80070002-20009 error

This failed installation was on a cloned ssd with win 8.1 Pro. I used the Samsung Migration software to copy my 8.1 installation on another ssd in my computer. I have 4 ssd physical drives. Only my latest one a Samsung 850 EVO has had this failure issue
    with win 10. The other drives had successful installations of win 10 Pro. But I believe at least one other drive was cloned also. So I really can't be sure the cloning is the issue.

Ira Wechsler, Sep 20, 2015
  4. Voyager 1 Win User

I'm running Win 7 but I'd keep the cloned 8.1 HDD and obtain another spare HDD.

I use 2 spare "spinner" HDD's for my 2-week C: HDD cloning. Since spinner HDD's are inexpensive, it's worth it for me to have a plug-play spare bootable HDD to allow fast recovery from numerous problematic circumstances.

If your HDD's are SSD's, then cost may be a factor to consider with buying another spare for storage use.

If I decide to go with the free Win 10 upgrade by next July, I'll do the same and keep a cloned Win 7 HDD on the shelf for awhile to enable me to get familiar with Win 10 and be able to switch back to Win 7 for a while (not running simultaneously - will shut down, swap HDD's, boot up, etc).

I have 2 Sata hot-swap trays in my tower for quick HDD installs and removals.

Voyager 1, Sep 21, 2015
  5. Gramps Win User
    Thanks Voyager1. I'll hang on to the cloned drive for a while and get a new HDD.

Gramps, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cloned 8.1 drive - keep or use for 10 back-ups? - Similar Threads - Cloned drive keep

2. Making a clone for back up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Making a clone for back up: Okay, why did this not work properly?I have a 2tbssd that is my main drive with windows etc. on it. Now I have a 4 tb hdd inside my comp also. I partioned the hdd and used one half to hold a clone of my ssd. I gave that half a drive letterD The other half E, to be used as...
  3. Making a clone for back up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Making a clone for back up: Okay, why did this not work properly?I have a 2tbssd that is my main drive with windows etc. on it. Now I have a 4 tb hdd inside my comp also. I partioned the hdd and used one half to hold a clone of my ssd. I gave that half a drive letterD The other half E, to be used as...
  4. Question about cloning drives for back-up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Question about cloning drives for back-up: Hi alla bit of a stupid question here, as I am sure this is easily answered but can I clone my SSD to another SSD that I bought in order for it to be a back-up? I recently had a problem where I lost most of my documents I had stored on my PC, due to not backing up my info. I...
  5. Question about cloning drives for back-up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about cloning drives for back-up: Hi alla bit of a stupid question here, as I am sure this is easily answered but can I clone my SSD to another SSD that I bought in order for it to be a back-up? I recently had a problem where I lost most of my documents I had stored on my PC, due to not backing up my info. I...
  6. Question about cloning drives for back-up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Rookie at backing up - questions about cloning - using EaseUS

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Rookie at backing up - questions about cloning - using EaseUS: Newbie here and first post. I have a Dell Precision 5510 laptop with a 512 GB SSD running Windows 10. I'm also old, so please be patient*Smile. Up until a few months ago, when I bought EaseUS Todo Home, I had never properly backed up my computers. I'd make copies of files...
  8. Macrium clone drive is all wrong want to clone 2 to drive 1 not 1 to 2

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium clone drive is all wrong want to clone 2 to drive 1 not 1 to 2: Simple enough, I am booting the 900gb to drive number 2, the number 1 drive is empty. but macrium wants to boot the blank ssd to the running windows drive number 2 HOW can I change this order? I suppose swap the cables??? shut down??? windows 1909 - - - Updated - - - ok,...
  9. Macrium clone drive is all wrong want to clone 2 to drive 1 not 1 to 2

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium clone drive is all wrong want to clone 2 to drive 1 not 1 to 2: Simple enough, I am booting the 900gb to drive number 2, the number 1 drive is empty. but macrium wants to boot the blank ssd to the running windows drive number 2 HOW can I change this order? I suppose swap the cables??? shut down??? windows 1909 - - - Updated - - - ok,...
  10. back up/cloneing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    back up/cloneing: simply put i want to transfer/copy/clone all the data from drive zero onto drive one and i have no idea how to go about it when i don't have window's installed on the machine i have a laptop but i don't know what i need to hook it up or how to do it...