Windows 10: Cloned Boot Drive won't boot

Discus and support Cloned Boot Drive won't boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Update: Whilst typing up all that I’d done so far, I managed to solve it, but posting anyway in case of help to others. Apologies in advance for being... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nicklear9, Nov 13, 2018.

1. nicklear9 Win User

Cloned Boot Drive won't boot

Update: Whilst typing up all that I’d done so far, I managed to solve it, but posting anyway in case of help to others.

Apologies in advance for being a newbie and the probably obvious mistakes made here.

I had a Windows 10 Pro install on a 128GB SSD. It was full so I cloned it to a 256GB SSD using EaseUS. I think I did all the partitions (screenshots below) – though they appear in what looks like the wrong order. I then changed the boot order in BIOS to boot from the 256GB and it booted fine. After a few days of all working fine I cleaned the 128GB with diskpart and reformatted. On next boot, I got a blue screen saying “Recovery Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. A required device isn’t connected or can’t be accessed” with error “0xc000000e”. The 256GB drive does show up in BIOS as a Windows Boot Manger option.

I do have both the install OEM dvd and a bootable recovery USB drive I made before cloning. Troubleshoot>Advanced>Start-up Repair fails. System Resore and System Image Recovery both give errors.

Some googling (this is from a forum I suspect is not as good as this one!) suggested I should have marked the 100MB "System Reserved" partition on the larger disk 2 as "Active" in disk management. And maybe fix the bootloader with bcdboot. But now it seems too late to achieve that, or is it?

The USB Recovery offers me recover from a drive>Just remove my files which I could do, but wanted to check in here first.

(I also disabled Secure boot at one stage thinking that was stopping my boot from my USB drive, which I gather was a mistake so I better put that back How to Disable or Enable Secure Boot for ASUS Motherboard)

I did download the Bootable recovery disk from Kyhi, but got stuck at the point where it says replace the boot.wim with his, as on my drive I only have Reconstruct.WIM and Reconstruct.WIM2

Next I did a fresh install of Win10Pro on the 128GB drive so I could boot up properly and take a look in Disk Management and Diskpart. See screen shots below.

Cloned Boot Drive won't boot [​IMG]

As I was typing this up I remember that I had tried bootrec, but only two commands and then I found a website with four commands to run: Fix the MBR – Guide for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 and that actually worked! The drive now boots. It gave an error on start about page files – and I think I had set that 256GB drive to have no page file on it. So perhaps that was part of the problem. I set it to have a system managed page file.

Disk Management now:

Though I have solved my main problem I thought I’d post this anyway in case others have a similar problem and in case there’s anything wrong – ie. is it fine that the little 94MB partition isn’t at the beginning and is it fine that the boot drive is now Disk 1 when it was Disk 0 before?

:)

nicklear9, Nov 13, 2018
  2. btarunr Win User

Can't boot from DVD drive

Is your controller in RAID/AHCI modes? If so, the DVD drive will be listed as a separate device in the list of available boot devices, not as "CDROM". Remember that when setting boot device priority. Otherwise, read the manual to see which hotkey during POST brings up the boot menu that lets you select which device to boot from. Even here, the drive will be listed separately, and not as "CDROM".

btarunr, Nov 13, 2018
  3. Gilletter Win User
    Cloned HDD wont boot

I cloned a HDD to get rid of older HDD and lose the IDE cables and stick with SATA. Only problem is the cloned HDD wont boot nor repair, and the boot record seems to be on the second IDE drive and not the one with the windows partition on it. Is there anyway to fix this situation??? I'm afraid of the older drives failing on me, and would like to keep all the installed programs intact. Any ideas on how to make this work???

Gilletter, Nov 13, 2018
  4. jesdals Win User

960 EVO won't boot after cloning

One quick question, can you use rapid mode on your 960 EVO drive. I am considering a 1TB version, but would like to use rapid mode if possible.

jesdals, Nov 13, 2018
Thema:

1. Cloned Boot Drive won't boot - Similar Threads - Cloned Boot Drive

2. SSD Cloned but won't boot

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    SSD Cloned but won't boot: Greetings, I am trying to upgrade my laptop SSD into a larger size NVME. After looking up how to do that, I used Macrium Reflect to clone my old SSD into the new one. I then replaced the old SSD with the new, but it did not boot. I checked this forum here and found a common...
  3. Cloned SSD won't boot

Cloned SSD won't boot: Hi, Apologies for this post, as I can see that many others have had this problem and have been given solutions, but the fix often involves writing some code in the command line and I'm not too familiar with this so don't want to try it without some help telling me what to...
  4. Cloned SSD won't boot

Cloned SSD won't boot: Hi, I cloned my HDD to an SSD I added to an M2 slot, but it won't boot. I have followed various guides to troubleshooting this without success. I've changed the boot order in the BIOS and checked it's in the right mode. I tried booting from a USB and using the Windows auto...
  5. Cloned Drive Won't Boot (Windows 10)

Cloned Drive Won't Boot (Windows 10): I cloned my C drive onto a USB external drive (J) with Macrium, choosing Clone. As shown, this was done, and I had an extra 240GB free. But my computer won't boot when I select both the USB 3 drive option, and also when I select the USB Widows Boot option. What have I done...
  6. Cloned SSD Won't boot

Cloned SSD Won't boot: I have recently purchased a 1tb MX500 Crucial SSD with the intention to make it my main boot drive and use my current HDD as extra storage. I connected the SSD to my PC using another SATA data and power cable. I proceeded to clone through Acronis and everything seemed to be...
  7. Drive clone to SSD won't boot to Win 10...

in Windows 10 Support
    Drive clone to SSD won't boot to Win 10...: Startup repair didn't fix the issue. What do you need to see to help me? I upgraded windows from 7 to 10 on this machine. It boots and runs properly (but slow) on the ST mechanical drive. After the cloning operation with the ADATA version of Acronis, the SSD will not...
  8. Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive: I'm sure I screwed something up, but here's my situation. I bought an SSD, unfortunately a little smaller than I should have. In using free Macrium Reflect software to clone my original main drive, I realized I needed a few more gigs of space. The operation requires moving...
  9. Cloned SSD won't boot

Cloned SSD won't boot: HP 17-G153US Laptop Windows 10 EaseUS Partition master 14 used to clone Here is a shot from EaseUs and my device manager. My cloned SSD wont boot when installed but will from usb connection. I have cloned hard drives without this much trouble in the past. Any help or...
  10. Cloned drive will not boot

Cloned drive will not boot: Hi guys I'm a little embarrassed to ask for help from a cloning operation, being an IT guy...but this one has me stumped. Short background: Bought a inexpensive Acer laptop (R 15) Seemed like a great deal for under $499, great screen, good video, Intel i5. But got it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. clone gpt drive boot

2. cloned drive wont boot blue sceen error