Windows 10: Cloned Disk will not boot !!

Discus and support Cloned Disk will not boot !! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi everyone I have been given two brand new SATA 2TB disks. One I have used in a hard disk dock - and have used this for additional data back up etc.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Skofab, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Skofab Win User

Cloned Disk will not boot !!

Hi everyone
    I have been given two brand new SATA 2TB disks. One I have used in a hard disk dock - and have used this for additional data back up etc. Works OK

The other I decided to use to replace my noisy C Drive. I cloned the disk to the new one, only to find that the new disk was non bootible - this was using Macrium reflect cloning tool. This has worked well for me in the past with no difficulties, not however on this occasion.

I then used AOMEI to clone with the same result.
    I then used EaseUS with the same result.
    Also used Acronis with the same result.

In each case the new disk has all the folders shown on the original C Drive - but in disk management is not qualified with the word boot (as is the original C Drive).

Is there a way in which I can make/force the new disk to become Bootible.

Cloned Disk will not boot !! [​IMG]

Disk management screenshot above.
    I would mention that the existing drive is a 1Tb - whereas the new drive is 2 Tb - in case this has some bearing on the issue.
    Looking at Google this is a known and frequent problem. My knowledge is limited, so in laymans terms can anyone help me to overcome this annoyance
    Thanks in advance

:)

Skofab, Aug 14, 2017
  2. chompy33 Win User

Windows 10 has a black screen with cursor (cursor with loading symbol) after cloning

How did you reslove it please? Im facing the exact same problem and i cant find anything helpful

Initially, I used Acronis to clone my disk using the program from Windows; Acronis was installed on the source disk. That is what resulted in the black screen error. To fix it, I made an Acronis Boot Disk, booted into the disk, and started the cloning process
    there.

chompy33, Aug 14, 2017
  3. Cannot set SSD as boot drive in Windows 10, tried almost everything

After cloning it is essential that you boot the machine with only the cloned disk connected so that Windows can sort out the various volume identifiers.

Frederik Long, Aug 14, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

What happens when you try to boot the computer with the original 1TB drive disconnected? The word System inside the parenthesis means the partition the computer actually booted from. The word Boot inside the parenthesis means the partition from which the OS got loaded. You won't see either of those inside the parenthesis unless the computer has actually booted from that partition and loaded the OS from that partition. In other words System and Boot are not flags indicating the partition is bootable in the future - they are flags that the computer booted from that partition and loaded the OS from that partition the last time it was started up.

Also, you may have to go into BIOS and set which drive it boots from.

NavyLCDR, Aug 14, 2017
  5. Skofab Win User
    Thanks for your reply NavyLCDR
    your talking beyond my immediate comprehension, but I will try to read it carefully.
    Here is further information....
    1 - I have cloned the new disk using a hard drive dock.
    2 - I understand that you cannot boot from a usb drive.
    3 - Before starting the PC - I disconnect the original C Drive and connect the new disk which as will be seen in the screenshot is designated as 'F')
    It goes through the usual startup windows screen pattern then stops with the revolving clockwise.

On past occasions (when doing this disk swap) - the system has booted without any trouble, and the new disk is then changed automatically and now shown as 'C' drive.
    I must get some shuteye now - but will do as I have before - but when I startup I will go into bios and see if I can identify the new disk and select it as the startup disk.
    Meanwhile keep the ideas coming.
    Sorry that my knowledge is limited in these matters - so please be patient with me as I struggle along.
    Bye for now.

Skofab, Aug 14, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    Is the problem computer the HP laptop posted in the my computer section?
    If so HP computers typically come with UEFI diagnostics in the bios.
    HP PC Hardware Diagnostics | HP® Official Site
    To boot to the bios UEFI diagnostics power on the computer and repetitively click the F2 or F10 key.
    Then navigate to the UEFI diagnostics.
    If the UEFI diagnostics is up to date it will be version 6.4
    If you go to the HP website, then enter the computer's serial or product number and the operating system you will see the latest drivers.
    HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support

Compared to other computer manufactures HP computers allow you to test the hardware.
    So check all the hardware on the computer using the UEFI diagnostics in extensive or loop until failure mode.
    Start the testing in the late afternoon or evening so that the next morning you will have had at least 1 to 2 loops.
    The testing time increases based on the amount of RAM and the size of the drives.
    Since you have large size drive give yourself more time to perform the hardware testing.
    The test is designed to abort if there is any component failure, even the battery.
    If you view the computer in the morning and it is still running that is a good sign.
    Then press the keyboard escape key and view the UEFI logs to confirm the pass.

For HP computers if you need to boot to a device you do not need to change the bios boot order.
    You can boot to a flash drive or any drive connected to a USB port.
    For HP computers you power on and repetitively click the F9 key.
    This would allow you to boot to a windows 10 iso: Download Windows 10

So with the above results you will have ruled in or ruled out hardware problems.
    Once you have ruled out problems you can then work on the software problems.

The diskpart commands may be useful to evaluate the disks, volumes, and partitions.

zbook, Aug 14, 2017
  7. Skofab Win User
    Thank you for your comments Zbook, and for your comprehensive thoughts.

You are very observant to pick up that I have a HP Laptop mentioned in another thread - but this is another PC (desktop) that I use. This has a gigabyte m/board.

Will have another potter today to see if I (with everyone's help) can solve this.

Thanks for your time.

Skofab, Aug 14, 2017
  8. zbook New Member

For the computer relative to this thread please fill in your system specs:
    Please follow this tutorial and download the tool.

The tool will give you detailed information about your system specs, please fill in your system specs more completely including PSU, cooling and other used stuff like mouse, keyboard, monitor, case, etc.

The PSU, cooling and other stuff are NOT mentioned in the tool.

In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'.

After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.

System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

Create a bootable windows 10 iso: Download Windows 10

Change the bios boot order so that you can boot to the USB flash drive (bootable windows 10 iso)
    Navigate through repair your computer to the windows advanced troubleshooting menu and select command prompt so that it opens Administrator X: \Windows\system32\cmd.exe

Type these commands:
    1) chkdsk
    2) c:
    3) dir
    4) d:
    5) dir
    6) x:
    7) bcdedit | find "osdevice"
    8) diskpart
    9) list disk
    10) list volume
    11) select volume 0
    12) list partition
    13) exit
    Use a camera or a smart phone to take a picture and post into the thread.

If you need help with any of the above I'll be available later in the day.

zbook, Aug 14, 2017
  9. fireberd Win User
    I tried cloning when I went from a mechanical hard drive to a (Samsung) SSD, for Win 8.1. I tried the cloning program that came with the Samsung SSD, the Macrium Reflect cloning program (I have a paid version of Macrium) and the AOMEI and it failed at different points with every one. I finally did a disc image of the hard drive, all partitions, and restored to the new SSD and it worked perfectly.

We had a discussion on the Win 7 forum about cloning and one of the forum software guru's did some testing with multiple cloning programs on both Windows and Linux. His conclusion was cloning was a hit or miss, may work for some and not others or may work one time and not another. One other thing to consider with a clone, it copies everything including bad blocks and bad data. A disc image does not copy those.

fireberd, Aug 14, 2017
  10. Skofab Win User
    Hello again
    thanks to all for your input - much appreciated.
    As you will appreciate, being a novice I am looking for the 'easy way out' of this issue

Fireberd said - "I finally did a disc image of the hard drive, all partitions, and restored to the new SSD and it worked perfectly"

This is of great interest to me because I take a daily Macrium full image.
    At the moment the disk TO BE cloned is in a hard drive dock. Can I simply right click on the last image and 'send to' said disk. Perhaps I have misunderstood.
    Look forward to hearing from you.

Skofab, Aug 14, 2017
  11. fireberd Win User
    Yes you can restore the disc image to a USB docked drive. I've done that several times.

fireberd, Aug 15, 2017
  12. Skofab Win User
    Thanks Fireberd

the question is HOW do I do that final bit? - the method itself. If I go to the restore page - yes the source is there, but there is no destination other than the C Drive itself.

I tried my method of right clicking 'send to' on a day backup (see picture) - but when completed the receiving disk had an identical text NOT the list of the various folders that I had expected.

I hope this makes sense - sorry to be thick!

Skofab, Aug 15, 2017
  13. fireberd Win User

You have to use Macrium Reflect to restore to the SSD, you can't just copy the backup file to the new SSD.

Here is a sample of a Macrium restore screen

fireberd, Aug 15, 2017
  14. Skofab Win User
    Cracked it !!

Thanks to Fireberd for making me aware that the answer lie in my Macrium backup.
    Was not thinking straight late yesterday, but of course the answer was to change the hard drive whilst (recklessly I know, and will outrage the purists) the computer was on with the macrium restore page was showing.
    Just pushed restore image and away it went with no problem at all.

Macrium has rescued me from the clagg on MANY occasions, so pleased it has helped yet again. The end result was worth it - I now have a C Drive that is not constantly thrashing about.

Thanks everyone for your help and patience to me, a novice.
    Special thanks to Fireberd

Skofab, Aug 15, 2017
  15. fireberd Win User
    Glad I could help. You can "rep" me if you want.

fireberd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cloned Disk will not boot !! - Similar Threads - Cloned Disk boot

2. Inaccesible boot device after cloning disk

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Inaccesible boot device after cloning disk: So i want upgrade my SSD but, i don't want to reinstall windows then i choose to cloned it. Clone done i install my cloned ssd to my laptop then i start the laptop but it shows "Inaccesible boot device" error. Do you all know how to solve this error? please im desperate after...
  3. Disk Cloning Nightmare

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Cloning Nightmare: I just got a new 1TB SSD so I can replace my absolutely terrible 1TB HDD. Completely starting over on a fresh install of Windows is kind of my last resort, so I’ve been trying to clone everything over. However, because my HDD is 3-4 years old and has done more than enough of...
  4. Disk cloning and backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk cloning and backup: I have a Windows 10 PC with a 250 gb SSD. I also have an external 250 SSD. Is there software that will allow me to clone the internal drive to the external for disaster recovery and then have all future disk writes go to both drives so that they are always identical?...
  5. Disk cloning

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk cloning: I have an SSD128gb drive that is almost full and ordered 1tb SDD. I also have a 2nd HDD 1tb drive in the pc and although I haven't used Disk Cloning I am attempting to clone the 128gb SSD onto the HDDin pc and when I receive the new 1tb SDD I am thinking to clone from the...
  6. Problems booting with cloned disk created with Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Problems booting with cloned disk created with Macrium Reflect: I am puzzled by this, I have been using Macrium Reflect for a decade. I have several SSDs in the machine, and I run Macrium Reflect clone this disk option. It creates a perfect image/clone. Except that the disk is not bootable. The hardware is MSI Titan GT80 SLI. When I hit...
  7. Can't boot from cloned Hard Disk

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't boot from cloned Hard Disk: 1. My original hard disk got bad sectors and won't boot. Tried to run recovery options but did not work 2. Cloned it to new disk of same size using Macrium Reflect Free 3. Now can't boot from the cloned disk. 4. Used Windows Bootable USB Media created using Windows Media...
  8. Acronis Cloned Disk fails to boot.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Acronis Cloned Disk fails to boot.: I have a backup plan that, aside from making regular Acronis images of the C drive, I also clone the C (Samsung 970 M.2 SSD) to D (Samsung 850 SSD). The saved images work perfectly with respect to recovering the C drive. However, I decided to test booting from the cloned D...
  9. Disk Image/Clone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk Image/Clone: Hello, I am looking for an easy to use disk image / Clone software. I deploy about 2-3 systems per week, all which have the same configuration. FileMaker, HyperTerminal, MS Office, printer drivers and a few other apps. Does anyone have any recommendations for a software...
  10. Disk cloning

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk cloning: How to transfer information from Computer 1 to Computer 2? My understanding how to do this is outlined as follows but I am not entirely sure this process would work. Existing Computer 1: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit; have USB flash drive 1 with Windows 10 installation media...