Windows 10: Cloned drive, need to create recovery partition to fix windows.

Discus and support Cloned drive, need to create recovery partition to fix windows. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all. I've been attempting to deal with this issue for a while now. About two months ago I cloned my entire drive from a 500GB disk to a 1TB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by monkeyhater, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Cloned drive, need to create recovery partition to fix windows.

Hello all.

I've been attempting to deal with this issue for a while now. About two months ago I cloned my entire drive from a 500GB disk to a 1TB disk. The cloning process broke the boot record I believe, and that had to be fixed using a bootable windows 10 usb and the command prompt.

Windows 10 since has booted perfectly fine, all my disk contents are here. At no point did I have to create a partition or anything like that (except resizing).

At some point since my windows install got corrupted, some key files are missing that make it so it won't update. A pain. I've tried to fix the problem but it seems that my best choice other than re-installing the OS is to use the "Repair my PC" ability.

I cannot use it. When booting from a bootable usb I simply don't get the option, and when I try to run "systemreset" in cmd, it says it cannot find the recovery environment. To that end, I went looking for the recovery partition and found that it does not exist. I've allocated an empty 12Gb region on my disk to create the recovery partition, but can't seem to find proper instructions to do so (I keep finding things for a recovery disk that copies my contents).

I assembled my PC on my own, and therefore never had an OEM recovery partition.

Please note that on disk 0 I've installed Ubuntu, which works fine.
    Disk 1 contains windows. I'm not sure why there isn't also an EFI partition, but it boots so shrug. Windows is MBR and Ubuntu is GPT. I don't know what the 99MB partition on disk 1 is.

"reagentc /enable" gives back "Unable to update boot configuration data".

I am on Windows 10.0.18363 Build 18363. Cannot update. Using Windows 10 Pro.

Thank you for all your help.

Cloned drive, need to create recovery partition to fix windows. [​IMG]

:)

monkeyhater, Mar 11, 2020
  2. Anusha Win User

How To: Create recovery partition.

it worked when i copied all the files of the disk to the recovery partition i created, but i had to use WinPE tab to add the entry.

Type: WIM Image (Ramdisk)
    Name: Recovery
    Path: Z:\Sources\boot.wim
    and hit Add Entry
    I tried it in VirtualBox and it worked.
    At first, it would add a second "Windows 7" entry to the list, but when the installation is finished, the old one is deleted. (I formatted only C: partition)

Anusha, Mar 11, 2020
  3. Solaris17 Win User
    How To: Create recovery partition.

For awhile I had been wondering how to create a recovery partition to reinstall windows without the need do find my thumb drive or disk, or hell burn another. With that in mind i figured others would also like to know. Therefor I have created this Video (720P processing of vid can take upto 30min from orig post date stamp, quality will improve) and thread on how to create a BASIC recovery partition to install/repair a windows installation using a new or existing hard drive. Without the need to buy software.

Creating a recovery Partition

Creating and restoring from a current image​

[yt]3iZHR2q7T-8[/yt]​
    Feel free to sticky if you find it appropriate.

Solaris17, Mar 11, 2020
  4. W1zzard Win User

Cloned drive, need to create recovery partition to fix windows.

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Mar 11, 2020
Thema:

Cloned drive, need to create recovery partition to fix windows.

1. Cloned drive, need to create recovery partition to fix windows. - Similar Threads - Cloned drive need

2. Creating a recovery PARTITION NOT USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating a recovery PARTITION NOT USB: My installed system on a new computer, has a 1.73gb partition on the SSD called "recovery Partition", but, the only references/utilities/apps I can find will only create a recovery "drive" on an external USB/disk.What's the go??What's the point of this partition taking up...
  3. How to create a recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to create a recovery partition?: Let's say I was able to download the Win10 iso from herehttps://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10I am fully aware that recovery Image and recovery drive is completely different from recovery partition - I want to have my system to gain ability of oem pc to...
  4. Cloning System Partition, Recreating EFI & Recovery partitions......

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning System Partition, Recreating EFI & Recovery partitions......: This guide is intended for educational purposes only.A fresh and clean installation is always the best thing to do, because in addition to a bug-free Windows experience, everything outside the Windows environment like the EFI partition, Recovery partition, and overall system...
  5. Cloning System Partition, Recreating EFI & Recovery partitions......

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloning System Partition, Recreating EFI & Recovery partitions......: This guide is intended for educational purposes only.A fresh and clean installation is always the best thing to do, because in addition to a bug-free Windows experience, everything outside the Windows environment like the EFI partition, Recovery partition, and overall system...
  6. No Recovery Partition on cloned NVMe SSD

No Recovery Partition on cloned NVMe SSD: I have used Aomei Backupper to clone a Windows 10 Pro SATA3 SSD to a new NVMe M2 SSD. It went well and I now have a new boot drive but the cloning process did not copy over the Recovery Partition from the original SSD. Is that a problem? Thanks 179622
  7. Clone Windows partition without losing other partitions on clone drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone Windows partition without losing other partitions on clone drive: Long ago I acquired a 2TB SSD to replace a 2 TB HDD but with the intent for the HDD to replace the optical drive for extra space for gaming and how these became 100s of gigs lately . So back then I tried to look up a solution for just cloning the system partitions as I had...
  8. Clone Windows partition without losing other partitions on clone drive

Clone Windows partition without losing other partitions on clone drive: Long ago I acquired a 2TB SSD to replace a 2 TB HDD but with the intent for the HDD to replace the optical drive for extra space for gaming and how these became 100s of gigs lately . So back then I tried to look up a solution for just cloning the system partitions as I had...
  9. Recovery partitions not recovery DRIVE

Recovery partitions not recovery DRIVE: I am working on a Toshiba laptop which my sister bought used with Win 8.0. The software was unfixable so I reinstalled 8.0 from a recovery drive I created with the Win 8.0 system. I then installed Win 8.1 from a microsoft store download and then installed Win 10 after...
  10. Clone hard drive partition

Clone hard drive partition: I cloned hard drive A from hard drive B. Hard drive B had two partitions, two Windows operating systems cloned successfully to hard drive A. Recently Windows 10 took a dump on it's partition on hard drive A. My question is, do I boot from hard drive B to clone the Windows...