Windows 10: Cloned Drive: What did I do wrong?

Discus and support Cloned Drive: What did I do wrong? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Greetings! I recently got a new Sabrent M.2 drive for my Asus laptop. After replacing the current M.2 drive with my new one--and also installing the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/LordBepis, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Cloned Drive: What did I do wrong?

Greetings!

I recently got a new Sabrent M.2 drive for my Asus laptop. After replacing the current M.2 drive with my new one--and also installing the SATA SSD from my previous laptop--I was able to boot into Windows using the SATA drive. I then proceeded to use the version of Acronis True Image provided by Sabrent to clone the old M.2 drive (which was attached by a USB enclosure). I noticed that Acronis was going to assign the new drive the letter E, but I thought nothing of it, as it could probably be easily changed. Three hours later, I tried to boot into the new drive, but I'm getting a BSOD. Inaccessible boot device.

Using the command prompt, I use diskpart to change the new M.2 drive's letter to C. No luck. Try modifying the boot paths in UEFI. Nothing. Disable Secure Boot. Still no change. Ran all those bootrec commands. Nope.

I was then looking into how to clone a drive within Linux, as I have a Fedora live USB. I'm able to use dd to copy everything from the old drive to the new one (this time in only an hour!). However, still can't boot into it. So I fire up the command prompt again and look at the disk with diskpart. I notice it says it's not a boot drive, but gparted shows a partition with the boot flag.

I've completely lost my mind with this thing, and am this close to just reinstalling Windows and trying to clone the old data partition. Is there something I missed? Is there something else I can try?

submitted by /u/LordBepis
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/LordBepis, Feb 13, 2021

2. Clone Bitlocker enable drive to SSD

Keitaro

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

Heed the advice of the software, you must disable BitLocker before cloning. This is highly recommend if you ever want to get access to the drive.

There is nothing wrong with having to re-enable it after restoring the clone.

Step 1: disable BitLocker.

Step 2: clone drive

Step 3: restore the cloned image to the new drive.

Step 4: Re-Enable BitLocker.

Andre for Directly, Feb 13, 2021
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook | Tom's Hardware

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Feb 13, 2021
  4. Sanhime Win User

Cloned Drive: What did I do wrong?

Cloning from 1TB to 2TB hard drive

Whats a good free imaging/cloning program? I have a 1TB hard drive with Win7 and I want to seamlessly migrate my stuff to a 2TB hard drive. Any suggestions?

Sanhime, Feb 13, 2021
Thema:

Cloned Drive: What did I do wrong?

1. Cloned Drive: What did I do wrong? - Similar Threads - Cloned Drive did

2. what did I do wrong here?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what did I do wrong here?: I bought a new laptop which has it's own built in wifi connection obviously and speakers and mouse pad and that stuff because it's a laptop but without a software, tried to download windows from flash usb and iso file didn't buy one, I use a digital license but it doesn't...
  3. what did I do wrong here?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what did I do wrong here?: I bought a new laptop which has it's own built in wifi connection obviously and speakers and mouse pad and that stuff because it's a laptop but without a software, tried to download windows from flash usb and iso file didn't buy one, I use a digital license but it doesn't...
  4. what did I do wrong here?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. What did I do wrong?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What did I do wrong?: So I got the newest update on my Lenovo Laptop. I got the KB5034765 update. It worked alright after fixing some problems, but the start menu search bar and screenshot button doesn't work. I don't know if it's related or not. Then I tried different options of restarting...
  6. What did I do wrong?

What did I do wrong?: So I got the newest update on my Lenovo Laptop. I got the KB5034765 update. It worked alright after fixing some problems, but the start menu search bar and screenshot button doesn't work. I don't know if it's related or not. Then I tried different options of restarting...
  7. What did I do wrong?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    What did I do wrong?: What did I do wrong? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-did-i-do-wrong/35e1d3f9-e65d-4b04-a52b-410549a44cc1
  8. What did I do wrong?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What did I do wrong?: What did I do wrong? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-did-i-do-wrong/35e1d3f9-e65d-4b04-a52b-410549a44cc1
  9. What did I do wrong?

10. Okay, what did I do wrong now?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Okay, what did I do wrong now?: Background: I was trying to copy files from a Windows 2000 Professional disk image onto a flash drive via a program called WinSetupFromUSB while following this tutorial: A Simple Way to Install Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7 From a USB Drive » TechUserFriendly.com I'm wanting...