Windows 10: Cloned drive will not boot

Discus and support Cloned drive will not boot in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'm sorry....the Acer logo I am going to try Kyhi's suggestions now...finally an evening to get back to this! Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by LePaul, Apr 3, 2017.

1. LePaul Win User

Cloned drive will not boot

I'm sorry....the Acer logo

I am going to try Kyhi's suggestions now...finally an evening to get back to this!

LePaul, Apr 6, 2017
  2. LePaul Win User

Here's what my command prompt looks like, after booting from Windows 10 USB boot

LePaul, Apr 6, 2017
  3. LePaul Win User
    A few questions....

There's my volumes

You advised..

Or use diskpart and assign a drive letter "S" to the Fat32 System (EFI) partition
    the run> bcdboot C:\windows /s S:

There's only one hard drive (well, m.2 SSD) installed in the laptop

LePaul, Apr 6, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

While still in Diskpart, run:
    select volume 2
    assign letter=S
    exit

then run
    bcdboot C:\windows /s S:

NavyLCDR, Apr 6, 2017
  5. LePaul Win User
    I'll try that now....gotta go into CMOS and set USB drive to first (boot order) so I can get in!

LePaul, Apr 6, 2017
  6. LePaul Win User
    Ok well I got this....

Cloned drive will not boot [​IMG]

In my bios/cmos/whatever.... what should the boot order be?

Right now I have USB thumbdrive
    Windows boot manager
    Samsung m.2 EVO 950
    etc etc

LePaul, Apr 6, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Windows Boot Manager first.

NavyLCDR, Apr 6, 2017
  8. LePaul Win User

Yeah...when I do that, it never makes it to the USB boot drive

LePaul, Apr 6, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    What error does it give you?

NavyLCDR, Apr 6, 2017
  10. Kyhi Win User
    I assume #3 the USB HDD is your Verbatim store and go USB stick ???
    Also error message is not Boot File related... The OS appears to be the culprit

usually pressing F12 when the OEM logo appears may bring up the boot menu options,,

11. SIW2 Win User
    Assuming the clone was performed correctly, the initial problem seemed to be the changed disk sig. That could have been sorted with the litlle program I posted.

Not clear what the op has done to it since the disk sig change. Might be other issues now.

( On a related note, creating decent 15063 pe is proving tricky. I haven't got there yet)

12. LePaul Win User
    Yes, the USB 3 is the Windows 10 boot drive (USB) I made per your guidance

That program you posted...what should be the next step(s)?

LePaul, Apr 6, 2017
  13. SIW2 Win User

Not sure what you have done since the initial disk sig change.

If that was the only problem:

Fix the drive letter.

Fix the boot menu.

Where it says select Active part, it means the system part on efi.

14. SIW2 Win User
    in Fix os letter, you select the Windows drive that isn't booting.

In boot fix, you select the Windows drive that isn't booting.
    You also select the system drive.

15. LePaul Win User
    Wow.

Really...wow.

So I set each to C: since that's the only drive I have *Smile

I restarted and went into the Windows setup hit upgrade and it gave me that compatibility report. There's no clean way to get out of that (it tells you to remove the boot media). So I go kicked back to the Windows setup screen, where you have the 'Repair' option in the lower left. I selected Power Off the PC and removed the USB. After a deep pause...I booted the laptop. It's immediately booted to my Windows 10 log in!

So, it's back! And with that m.2 SSD it booted in 4 seconds!

Big thank you to everyone involved.

LePaul, Apr 9, 2017
Thema:

1. Cloned drive will not boot - Similar Threads - Cloned drive boot

2. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: I have a DIY desktop that I built in 2013 and installed as I remember win8. It has been automatically updating since then. It now has the latest version of Win10. I still runs well. My problem is that the win10 C: SSD drive is too small 256GB. I purchased a larger 1TB SSD. I...
  3. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: I have a DIY desktop that I built in 2013 and installed as I remember win8. It has been automatically updating since then. It now has the latest version of Win10. I still runs well. My problem is that the win10 C: SSD drive is too small 256GB. I purchased a larger 1TB SSD. I...
  4. Can't Boot into Cloned Drive to Delete Old Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't Boot into Cloned Drive to Delete Old Drive: Hi I recently cloned my SSD using Clonezilla and was trying to boot into the new cloned drive to reformat the old drive so I can use it for normal storage. Both SSD's use the NVMe M.2 format but my motherboard only has space for one of them so I bought a PCIe adapter for the...
  5. Can’t boot Windows when drive is cloned

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can’t boot Windows when drive is cloned: I am trying to move my Windows install from a RAID0 to a single SSD. The raid is setup using AMD raid Xpert utility, and so used amd-raid drivers. I used Acronis to clone the drive over to the single SSD. When I boot using the single drive Windows boots into a black screen....
  6. Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive: I'm sure I screwed something up, but here's my situation. I bought an SSD, unfortunately a little smaller than I should have. In using free Macrium Reflect software to clone my original main drive, I realized I needed a few more gigs of space. The operation requires moving...
  7. Clone of a Bootable Flash Drive will not Boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Clone of a Bootable Flash Drive will not Boot: I'm attempting to make a clone of a bootable flash drive containing the Prime Expert Emergency Book kit using EraseUs Partition Master. The clone seems to seems the same contents as the original, but the drive is not bootable. Cockpit error?Possible, but earlier I used Aomei...
  8. Cloned drive won’t boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloned drive won’t boot: I copied my upgraded OS from a suspected failing 13yr-old Seagate 160GB (keeps crashing) onto a WDC 500GB using MiniTool Partition Wizard – How to migrate OS to SSD/HD, but the cloned drive won’t boot, it just shows a DOS screen with the letter j followed by a blinking...
  9. Cloned Boot Drive won't boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloned Boot Drive won't boot: Update: Whilst typing up all that I’d done so far, I managed to solve it, but posting anyway in case of help to others. Apologies in advance for being a newbie and the probably obvious mistakes made here. I had a Windows 10 Pro install on a 128GB SSD. It was full so I...
  10. Cloned drive won’t boot up

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloned drive won’t boot up: I am very new at this. I have a HP ProBook 4540. A diagnostic test said the hard drive was failing. I cloned the old hard drive to an identical new one using EaseUS. Everything seemed fine. I then installed the new drive into the laptop and this message comes up: BootDevice...