Windows 10: Cloned drive will not boot

Discus and support Cloned drive will not boot in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi guys I'm a little embarrassed to ask for help from a cloning operation, being an IT guy...but this one has me stumped. Short background:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by LePaul, Apr 3, 2017.

1. LePaul Win User

Cloned drive will not boot

Hi guys

I'm a little embarrassed to ask for help from a cloning operation, being an IT guy...but this one has me stumped.

Short background: Bought a inexpensive Acer laptop (R 15) Seemed like a great deal for under $499, great screen, good video, Intel i5. But got it home and discovered it had a SLOW 5400 rpm hard drive. I should've returned it but read it had m.2 slot for SSD and figured I would upgrade it later.

Tonight, I installed the m.2 and ran Samsung Magician. Files copied fine.

Reboot, still on HDD, noticed in Disk Manager "Disk signature collision" errors and the drive showed as offline. Made it online. Viewed the drive....content all there.

Removed HDD.

Booting to the SSD, I just get the logo and a dark screen.

I dug out my Windows 10 USB boot drive and it can't repair it. I did get to the command prompt and I can see it there as C drive and view the contents.

Showing my age here...I am wishing I had fdisk handy and activate the partition.

What can I do to activate the drive? I seem to be stuck at this step!

Thanks, gents!

:)

LePaul, Apr 3, 2017

2. Drive error detected

ok, I have 2 drives in my system. A C drive (OS) and a E drive (data only drive).

I do not clone the C drive to the E drive.

I clone the C drive to completely different (third) SSD using Macrium Reflect.

I boot from the cloned C drive (not E) and errors are reported on the E drive.

I put the original C drive back in and boot - No errors on the E drive.

There are three drives involved.

Original C, E data drive, and a third SSD that is the cloned C drive.

I disconnect the original C and boot from the third drive (the cloned C).

Immediately get drive errors on E.

Remove cloned C drive and reinsert original C and boot.

No errors detected.

The alert message does not specify which drive has the errors, but experience with this

issue is that the E drive is the drive reporting errors.

snifferpro, Apr 3, 2017
  3. arte358 Win User
    When upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, update fails and I get 80070002-20009 error

Perhaps the Windows 10 upgrade package sees the OS on cloned drives as unauthorized duplications? How many in this thread are booting from cloned drives (including me)?

arte358, Apr 3, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Missing a lot of info to help you.

Is it UEFI computer or legacy BIOS? If it is new enough to have an m.2 slot then it is probably UEFI. If it is UEFI, it should have an EFI System Partition that is formatted as FAT32. There is no active partition on UEFI. More than likely you either did not clone the EFI System Partition over, or it lost it's ID as an EFI System Partition and you need to set the partition ID as EFI System.

If it is a legacy BIOS computer, it probably had a System Reserved Partition. Either you did not clone the System Reserved Partition, or as you elude to it is not marked as the active partition.

Diskpart has replaced FDISK (for many years now). Diskpart can be used to both set the EFI System Partition ID on a UEFI computer and set a partition as active on a legacy BIOS computer.

Sometimes when you clone a disk the unique partition identifier of the partition containing the OS will get changed so it no longer matches what is contained in the BCD.

I would start by downloading Kyhi's Recovery Tools:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - - Windows 10 Forums

Create a bootable USB flash drive or DVD of it and boot the computer from it. In his tools is a program called Macrium Reflect. In the restore menu of Macrium Reflect is a utility to Fix Windows startup problems. That utility will fix a lot of boot problems when other methods fail - if there is an EFI System Partition or boot files on another partition to start with.

If you can boot from the old hard drive and "see" the SSD in Windows, you can post a full screenshot, with the data columns widened so we can see the data, of the disk management screen and we can tell more about what is missing:
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of - Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

NavyLCDR, Apr 3, 2017
  5. LePaul Win User
    Thanks for your response.

It's a 2 month old laptop (Aspire R5-571T | Laptops - Tech Specs & Reviews - Acer)

Has UEFI

I went through DISKPART and verified the volume is there. I should snap some photos this evening when I am home.

The old drive, believe it or not, was failing and upon loading it into a USB external drive caddy, I can't see the contents.

The good news is that the new laptop has nothing on it, just the Acer bloatware.
    The bad news is these guys don't ship the Windows 10 media for a re-install anymore.

But if the existing image can be fixed, using those tools you mentioned, that is worth a shot.

LePaul, Apr 3, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Apr 3, 2017
  7. LePaul Win User
    Will it prompt for reg code and the like?

I mean, it should see all those folders in the C drive

(Of course, perhaps there's a decal on the bottom of the Acer?)

LePaul, Apr 3, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

The product key for Windows 10 is stored in the UEFI firmware and Windows 10 should not ask for it during the install. If it does, you are probably attempting to install the wrong edition of Windows 10 (such as Single Language Edition when you need just plain Windows 10).

NavyLCDR, Apr 3, 2017
  9. LePaul Win User
    Now using that link last night, I did make the Windows 10 USB boot drive.
    In the CMOS, I made the USB first in the boot order (otherwise you sit and nothing happens)

I thought I did option one and Windows couldn't install. But maybe I did something wrong in what I downloaded

LePaul, Apr 3, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    What error are you getting?

NavyLCDR, Apr 3, 2017
  11. LePaul Win User
    I got this message but upon reboot, nothing happened

LePaul, Apr 3, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    You are the second person to get that error. I'm going to have to check that out more. What I would suggest you do is follow my quote in the middle of the OP here:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - - Windows 10 Forums

Download Kyhi's Recovery Tools. Mount the ISO file. Copy the boot.wim from the \Sources folder of the mounted ISO file to the \Sources folder of the Windows 10 USB installation drive. You can rename the existing boot.wim file before you overwrite it if you want. Then the flash drive will boot into Kyhi's recovery tools.

Once there, you can use AEOMI Partition Assistant to delete all the partitions from the installed hard drive or SSD. (or you can use diskpart in a command prompt as well). Then from Windows Explorer run setup.exe from the USB flash drive to start Windows setup again.

Are you even getting to the point in setup where it asks you if you want to upgrade or custom install? You should be selecting custom install at that option screen.

NavyLCDR, Apr 3, 2017
  13. LePaul Win User

I did get as far as asking to upgrade, then that error

Kyhi's tool still current (I only ask since the post is 2015...however I imagine he has tweaked it over time?)

Good to know I haven't missed something remarkably easy.

I think if i had immediately removed the HDD after the Samsung Magician/cloning, I wouldn't have issues. But I had hoped to keep that HDD in there as a backup drive. Well, clearly Disk Manager didn't like both being in there.

LePaul, Apr 3, 2017
  14. Kyhi Win User
    To do an UPGRADE, you have to run setup.exe from within the current version of windows...
    Since you booted the setup media from USB, you can not UPGRADE, the current OS, thus the error message...

Boot my Rescue Disk, and use Macrium as stated before.
    Or use diskpart and assign a drive letter "S" to the Fat32 System (EFI) partition
    the run> bcdboot C:\windows /s S:

15. SIW2 Win User
    If you mean the Windows logo, you may need to fix the drive letter. I made a little thing for doing that.

nt6rep.zip

Cloned drive will not boot [​IMG]

Thema:

1. Cloned drive will not boot - Similar Threads - Cloned drive boot

2. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: I have a DIY desktop that I built in 2013 and installed as I remember win8. It has been automatically updating since then. It now has the latest version of Win10. I still runs well. My problem is that the win10 C: SSD drive is too small 256GB. I purchased a larger 1TB SSD. I...
  3. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: I have a DIY desktop that I built in 2013 and installed as I remember win8. It has been automatically updating since then. It now has the latest version of Win10. I still runs well. My problem is that the win10 C: SSD drive is too small 256GB. I purchased a larger 1TB SSD. I...
  4. Can't Boot into Cloned Drive to Delete Old Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't Boot into Cloned Drive to Delete Old Drive: Hi I recently cloned my SSD using Clonezilla and was trying to boot into the new cloned drive to reformat the old drive so I can use it for normal storage. Both SSD's use the NVMe M.2 format but my motherboard only has space for one of them so I bought a PCIe adapter for the...
  5. Can’t boot Windows when drive is cloned

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can’t boot Windows when drive is cloned: I am trying to move my Windows install from a RAID0 to a single SSD. The raid is setup using AMD raid Xpert utility, and so used amd-raid drivers. I used Acronis to clone the drive over to the single SSD. When I boot using the single drive Windows boots into a black screen....
  6. Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive: I'm sure I screwed something up, but here's my situation. I bought an SSD, unfortunately a little smaller than I should have. In using free Macrium Reflect software to clone my original main drive, I realized I needed a few more gigs of space. The operation requires moving...
  7. Clone of a Bootable Flash Drive will not Boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Clone of a Bootable Flash Drive will not Boot: I'm attempting to make a clone of a bootable flash drive containing the Prime Expert Emergency Book kit using EraseUs Partition Master. The clone seems to seems the same contents as the original, but the drive is not bootable. Cockpit error?Possible, but earlier I used Aomei...
  8. Cloned drive won’t boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloned drive won’t boot: I copied my upgraded OS from a suspected failing 13yr-old Seagate 160GB (keeps crashing) onto a WDC 500GB using MiniTool Partition Wizard – How to migrate OS to SSD/HD, but the cloned drive won’t boot, it just shows a DOS screen with the letter j followed by a blinking...
  9. Cloned Boot Drive won't boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloned Boot Drive won't boot: Update: Whilst typing up all that I’d done so far, I managed to solve it, but posting anyway in case of help to others. Apologies in advance for being a newbie and the probably obvious mistakes made here. I had a Windows 10 Pro install on a 128GB SSD. It was full so I...
  10. Cloned drive won’t boot up

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloned drive won’t boot up: I am very new at this. I have a HP ProBook 4540. A diagnostic test said the hard drive was failing. I cloned the old hard drive to an identical new one using EaseUS. Everything seemed fine. I then installed the new drive into the laptop and this message comes up: BootDevice...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. http://nt6rep.zip/