Windows 10: cloned harddrives duplicated windows and issues upgrading to pro

Discus and support cloned harddrives duplicated windows and issues upgrading to pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So a while back I got a new ssd and used samsungs disc cloner to move my hdd onto it. Now I have two Windows directories and it starts to be weird, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ollehagman, Mar 19, 2020.

1. cloned harddrives duplicated windows and issues upgrading to pro

So a while back I got a new ssd and used samsungs disc cloner to move my hdd onto it.

Now I have two Windows directories and it starts to be weird, I try to boot from the new D: drive and it works and all is good until I want to update to Windows 10 pro.

When I try to do this through microsoft store it just prompts me that it didnt work.

I figure this is because of my weird set up, I boot from D: but my enviromental variables point to old C:

Now what do I do?

I was thinking of wiping my D: drive, backing up the OS from C: and preform a clean install to D: and try to upgrade again, isn't that the sanest thing to do in all of this?

:)

ollehagman, Mar 19, 2020
  2. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook | Tom's Hardware

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Mar 19, 2020
  3. JoanYocum Win User
    Cloning an upgraded harddrive

My Toshiba laptop came pre-installed with windows 8.1. I have upgraded to windows 10. Unfortunately, the hard drive SMART is giving me messages that my hard drive is failing. I know that I can clone my existing drive and put the clone on a new drive. However,
    the Acronis software that I plan to use has referenced knowledge base 36187 that indicates that windows will have to be reactivated. Since this is a free upgrade offered by Microsoft, how will this be handled. Will I be able to successfully clone a new drive
    since my old one is failing. A quick response will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

JoanYocum, Mar 19, 2020
  4. cloned harddrives duplicated windows and issues upgrading to pro

Cloning an upgraded harddrive

Hi Joan,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

Let me confirm that once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You can use the

Media Creation Tool
    for the same. You won’t need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware. If you make a meaningful change to your hardware(I.e. Like HDD replacement),
    you will be required to activate Windows again.

However we can't assure or predict that the cloning will be successful, which is performed using third-party software. I suggest you to take a backup of all your personal files to other external device before you initiate the process.

Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Mar 19, 2020
Thema:

cloned harddrives duplicated windows and issues upgrading to pro

1. cloned harddrives duplicated windows and issues upgrading to pro - Similar Threads - cloned harddrives duplicated

2. Cloning issue?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cloning issue?: I have a laptop which had 1tb HDD and 128gb SSD but i recently installed a new 1TB m.2 SSD but the issue i had was 128gb SSD was still the booting drive so in order to switch to the new 1TB ssd i used the macrium reflect software just followed the installation told them the...
  3. Harddrive issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Harddrive issue: i had my harddrive for about a year and i was keep getting the error smart failure predicted. when i boot my computer with the hard drive in it.it gets into a infinite loading time and when i try to use any recovery programs it remains stuck on updating info. how can i get...
  4. Is there a way to clone a “protected GPT partition” harddrive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to clone a “protected GPT partition” harddrive?: Thanks submitted by /u/tonynca [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k63enb/is_there_a_way_to_clone_a_protected_gpt_partition/
  5. External Harddrive Issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Harddrive Issues: I just purchased a new ASUS laptop. Im going from a Macbook pro to windows 10. My external hard drive has worked on a windows laptop i had years ago (an ASUS also) and on my macbook without issue. When i plug my external hard drive into my laptop it makes the sounds that I’ve...
  6. Harddrive issue

Harddrive issue: okay simply put I want to get all the Data I can off of my hard drive that seems to have crapped out disk 3 is the hard drive in question I know there is data on it I can't get at it and have no idea how http://prntscr.com/nz8ijd if I initialize the drive will it...
  7. upgrading harddrive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    upgrading harddrive: In my Lenovo Desktop Pc, I want to put a sshd 2TB 2.5" drive in place of the 2.5" 500GB harddrive. In whitch I broke the pins that go to the data cable. That happen at least two years ago. It had had Windows 10 Pro activated on it. However, I purchased a Windows 10 Pro OEM...
  8. No Option to Duplicate/Clone Displays

No Option to Duplicate/Clone Displays: I seek some help. I'm running two PCs, one for gaming and the other for streaming using an Elgato HD60 Pro. I have the configuration right in regards to HDMI cables, but when I go into Nvidia Control Panel, it's not showing the other monitor so I can clone/duplicate. Am I...
  9. Prepare Windows in Audit mode and clone it to smaller harddrive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Prepare Windows in Audit mode and clone it to smaller harddrive: I need to install and configure Windows 10 on my customer's computer, but I will not have much time, so I want to prepare configured Windows with applications installed and only extract image into harddrive. I don't have access to target computer right now (it's beeing...
  10. Upgraded to 10 pro from 8.1 pro, then cloned and it all works

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgraded to 10 pro from 8.1 pro, then cloned and it all works: I took my 8.1 pro install and did a media tools upgrade from MS and said upgrade this PC, for an optiplex 755 6gb ram, core2duo 2.2ghz etc... Then I wanted to clone win10 for a backup, but the machine only has one sata ability being a mini pc. So I took an emachines T3616...