Windows 10: Cloned HDD and network/DNS issues connecting to MySQL server?

Discus and support Cloned HDD and network/DNS issues connecting to MySQL server? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there, I have a rather perplexing problem. Our work "server" (Desktop PC serving database information to workstations) has been displaying some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NRB, Oct 7, 2018.

1. NRB
    NRB Win User

Cloned HDD and network/DNS issues connecting to MySQL server?

Hi there,

I have a rather perplexing problem. Our work "server" (Desktop PC serving database information to workstations) has been displaying some unusual behaviour. Our practice management software used a MySQL database on the server.

Many months ago, Windows performed an update and we lost the ability for several workstations to connect to the database. The database responded with an error: "can't get hostname for your address". I decided I was going to restore a backup, but rather than overwrite the existing HDD, I purchased a drive EXACTLY the same - a 1TB WD Blue (WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0). I used DDRescue to clone the drive. Once the backup was restored everything ran as before and this became our new HDD.

Windows has just updated to 1803 on the server (and others) but it hasn't gone as planned. Our entire update history has been removed so we can't rollback. Anyway, I decided to clone the drive back to the original HDD first, then restore a backup from prior to the update. Lucky I tested the drive first.

When the original HDD was used, the same network connectivity issues returned. Although I can browse the shares and access the database folder on the server using Explorer, we once again have the dreaded "can't get hostname for your address" error. Switching back to the other HDD alleviates the error and the database is accessible again.

What the hell is going on here? It doesn't make any sense to me...

Thanks gurus.

Nick

:)

2. DNS server suggestions.

Hiya.

I need some suggestion on good DNS servers that I can connect to and not find myself with problems all the time, I've used FF, Chrome, Edge and Comodo Dragon but all seem to have issues especially with the DNS that I'm connected to.

I'm currently using the Google one, but if you know any good ones then please suggest it!

I've also read about having my own DNS server but that just seems as a big crambamboli.

And if you think that it's my internet that is having a stroke or something:

Cloned HDD and network/DNS issues connecting to MySQL server? [​IMG]

Cheers, Boris Cloned HDD and network/DNS issues connecting to MySQL server? :)

BorisTheAnimal, Oct 7, 2018
  3. Computer can't connect to DNS server

Below are standard troubleshooting steps. Most of these you have already tried. Try the remaining ones.

First you should run Internet Connections / Network / Hardware & devices Troubleshooter and then execute Microsoft recommended troubleshooting steps. Update me once done.

A. Run Internet Connections / Network / Hardware & Devices Troubleshooters

Windows Key+I > Update & Security > Troubleshoot >

1. Click Internet Connections > Run the Troubleshooter

2. Click Network adapters > Run the Troubleshooter

3. Click Hardware & Devices > Run the Troubleshooter

B. IP and DNS Setting

Type ncpa.cpl in Windows start > Right click on your network > Properties > Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) > Hit properties > Make sure below ones are checked

Obtain an IP Address Automatically

Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically

You can also try Google DNS

Select Use the following DNS Server Addresses > Preferred DNS Server - 8.8.8.8 > ALternate DNS Server - 8.8.4.4

Try Open DNS

Select Use the following DNS Server Addresses > Preferred DNS server : 208.67.222.222 > Alternate DNS server : 208.67.220.220

C. Head to following Microsoft Help Link and execute the steps there

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/...

E for Excel, Oct 7, 2018
  4. Cloned HDD and network/DNS issues connecting to MySQL server?

DNS server causing problem

Hi Andrea,

DNS is a server that translates websites' addresses so that browsers can connect to them. If the addresses become outdated or the server has issues, problems and DNS errors occur. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following
    questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows is installed on your computer?
    • What changes have you made to your device before this issue occurred?
    • Are you experiencing the same issue regardless if you are trying to be connected to a wired or wireless connection?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest deleting the DNS cache. This can refresh the DNS files and settings on your PC. Follow these steps to delete the DNS cache:

• Using Search type Command Prompt.
    • Form the search results, right click on Command Prompt (Desktop app) and then choose Run as administrator.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type ipconfig /flushdns and then hit the Enter key.
    • Once done, restart your computer and then check if the same issue persists.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Oct 7, 2018
Thema:

Cloned HDD and network/DNS issues connecting to MySQL server?

1. Cloned HDD and network/DNS issues connecting to MySQL server? - Similar Threads - Cloned HDD network

2. Dns server issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dns server issue: In the last month or two I’ve been having constant dns server issue. I have tried almost every solution under the sun without any luck. These are the things that I have tried.1. Troubleshooting2. Flushing dns cache, register, renew, reset, winsock reset, ipv4 ipv6 reset in...
  3. Dns server issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dns server issue: In the last month or two I’ve been having constant dns server issue. I have tried almost every solution under the sun without any luck. These are the things that I have tried.1. Troubleshooting2. Flushing dns cache, register, renew, reset, winsock reset, ipv4 ipv6 reset in...
  4. Dns server issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. DNS server issues w/ only one Wifi network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS server issues w/ only one Wifi network: I've had issues accessing the internet for a while now, I've tried many steps of troubleshooting but none have worked and I'm not sure how to proceed. My PC can connect to my home's Wifi network, but the network shows "No internet access". This Wifi network has several other...
  6. DNS server issues w/ only one Wifi network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS server issues w/ only one Wifi network: I've had issues accessing the internet for a while now, I've tried many steps of troubleshooting but none have worked and I'm not sure how to proceed. My PC can connect to my home's Wifi network, but the network shows "No internet access". This Wifi network has several other...
  7. Dns Server & Firewall Issue

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Dns Server & Firewall Issue: sometime the web pages stop loading and internet drop, after few second come back again. My router log dont report any adsl drop, and my ISP checked my line and it's fine. Sometime on the event viewer i found id event 1014, reset connection, upgrade lan driver dont help. I...
  8. DNS SERVER ISSUE

DNS SERVER ISSUE: We have a issue where in the particular website use to open but recently that website has went through certain changes and the i.p address of it is also changed. when we try to open that website the followin error occurs[ATTACH] kindly help us with the solution...
  9. Network and dns issues

Network and dns issues: My internet on computer is broken, every other device in the house works fine. The problem seems to be something about latency, dns and connecting. The troubleshooter seems to say dns server isn't responding. Faq's will not help me I need direct help please. It may not even...
  10. HDD Cloning issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDD Cloning issues: Hello, I have tried to "clone" a laptop, UEFI/GPT, HDD using Macrium and AOMEI Partition Assistant and it seems to work fine, but the resulting "clones" are not bootable. Am I missing something? Thanks, Jim 44246