Windows 10: Cloned HDD onto SSD, managed to boot from SSD, formatted HDD, now SSD won't boot

Discus and support Cloned HDD onto SSD, managed to boot from SSD, formatted HDD, now SSD won't boot in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Full details - I bought a new Samsung SSD for my laptop, put it into the spare M.2 NVME slot, cloned my OEM installed SSD onto it using Samsung Data... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JJ27993, Nov 15, 2020.

1. JJ27993 Win User

Cloned HDD onto SSD, managed to boot from SSD, formatted HDD, now SSD won't boot

Full details - I bought a new Samsung SSD for my laptop, put it into the spare M.2 NVME slot, cloned my OEM installed SSD onto it using Samsung Data Migration, removed the OEM SSD, booted from the new one and it worked like a charm.

Now, I tried to do the same thing with my sister's laptop - it had an OEM installed HDD and a spare M.2 NVME slot. I put the spare SSD into that slot. The Samsung Data Migration tool wasn't compatible with cloning onto my OEM SSD so I used Macrium Reflect and cloned the HDD, partition for partition. Then when I tried booting, it was still booting from the HDD even though it detected the SSD as an E: drive. So I tried Advanced Startup -> boot from SSD, and it loaded in my sister's Windows installation from the SSD. However, a restart made it boot from the HDD again.

Now, I unplugged the HDD, booted up, and the system loaded from the SSD. Plugged the HDD back in, booted again, and it loaded from SSD again - perfect! Only issue now is when I ran a restart to ensure it was all working fine, yet again it booted from the HDD and not the SSD ****!.

Now here's where things get really bad - I unplugged HDD, booted from SSD, worked fine. Plugged HDD back in, booted up again and it booted from SSD again. Then, I formatted the HDD which at this point was showing up as D: using the diskpart utility. Clean, format, assign, all ran fine. Then I closed the cmd window, ensured that the HDD was still showing in Explorer as an empty drive, and restarted.

And from that point on, I have not been able to boot into Windows at all. The expectation was that with the HDD being formatted, the system would boot up from the SSD, which it was doing just fine when the HDD was unplugged. However, it went straight to a blue screen error with error code: 0xc000000e. I cannot access recovery environment, I cannot access safe boot, only option is to go into the BIOS. Over there, the options are the usual - Windows Boot Manager clicking it shows the only option as the SSD, USB Flash/Disk Drive, etc. etc. the usual stuff.

As an additional test, I removed the SSD and put it back in my laptop which is now running on that new SSD I bought and tried to at least boot into Windows and see if I could access the data on the OEM SSD's drive. My laptop also went straight to BSOD and gave the same error code and same symptoms. Luckily, when I removed that SSD from my laptop and booted up with just my new SSD plugged in, it booted fine and my Windows installation is still running okay.

• What is causing the error?
    • How can I fix it?

Anybody who has experience with these kinds of errors - please help out. My sister's online classes resume tomorrow and I wouldn't want this issue to still be there. I know the clone process worked fine - I was able to boot from it earlier, even with the HDD unplugged. It just turned into this whole mess after I formatted the HDD which had my sister's original installation of Windows!

:)

JJ27993, Nov 15, 2020
  2. jmchatain Win User

Problem with boot after cloning HDD to SSD - Please Help !

Hi,

I have windows 10 on my Dell and I just cloned my HDD onto a SSD. I changed the BIOS priority with 1) SSD and 2) HDD. The boot was still very slow as if on my HDD (and not SSD). When I look at the C:/Windows/Temp it gives me today's date, which means
    to me that it has booted on the C:/. When I look at the F:/Windows/Temp I have yesterday's date (when I cloned). F:/ is my SSD.

What did I do wrong and how can I boot from the SSD drive?

I would like to keep the HDD as back up. FYI the HDD is on SATA 1, CD on SATA 2 and SSD on SATA 3.

Here is a picture of my disc manager.

Thanks !

jmchatain, Nov 15, 2020
  3. alden2662 Win User
    How to change boot from HDD to SSD?

Hello,

Thank you for the advice, I followed your instruction, went to F2 in BIOS and changed sequence of bootable disks putting SDD on top of HDD, so it was on BIOS like this :1) Windows, 2) SSD Crucial; 3) Toshiba HDD ( original drive).

But results were pretty suprising: booting did not cut by 80% like some people say it will if boot will go from SSD instead of HDD. It looks to me booting from SSD is even longer than from HDD and I now wonder if cloning was done correctly, may be it something
    wrong with partition?

I checked disk management and copied image from it. Disk 1 (SSD) shows Healthy (primary partition) and HDD shows Healthy (boot, page file, crash dump and primary partition). SSD is missing page file, crash dump) May be it's the reason why SSD boot is slow?
    And if I will have to erase my cloned Windows from SSD is it possible to clone it again to the same SSD may be using different software?. I am afraid if I format SSD to re-clone my HDD, it will erase not just my Windows and some other apps on SSD but also
    it will erase installation software that came with SSD. I will appreciate your advice.

AD

Cloned HDD onto SSD, managed to boot from SSD, formatted HDD, now SSD won't boot 266726ee-d797-4c2e-ac3a-f59b4402f746?upload=true.png

alden2662, Nov 15, 2020
  4. BulldogXX Win User

Cloned HDD onto SSD, managed to boot from SSD, formatted HDD, now SSD won't boot

HDD to SSD

I don't understand why you changed the boot order in your BIOS.

When you image or clone an HDD, and restore the image or clone to an SSD, you've got an identical copy of your computer on a different hard drive. Nothing has changed, really. So the next step is to remove the HDD from your computer and replace it with the
    SSD, then carry on as normal.

BulldogXX, Nov 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Cloned HDD onto SSD, managed to boot from SSD, formatted HDD, now SSD won't boot - Similar Threads - Cloned HDD onto

2. Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?: I've recently got my new SSD and cloned the HDD to it. When I went back to the BIOS to set the boot priority and restarted the computer, it wouldn't boot Windows 10 "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". My SSD is...
  3. Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?: I've recently got my new SSD and cloned the HDD to it. When I went back to the BIOS to set the boot priority and restarted the computer, it wouldn't boot Windows 10 "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". My SSD is...
  4. Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. HDD to SSD NVME not booting after clone

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    HDD to SSD NVME not booting after clone: Here is my issues, after cloning, I can find the SSD but once boot with that the screen is hanging. Have to use HDD to boot. Please help how to modify it. Do I need to redo it. [img] [img] 175565
  6. HDD to SSD clone.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD to SSD clone.: Want to transfer my whole operating system along with the data from a HDD to a SSD but don't know how to do it. Help needed. SSD not yet bought so suggestion on what company to buy from are welcome. Currently using western digital wd10spzx-60z10t0 1TB. Let me know if more...
  7. Cloning an SSD from an HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning an SSD from an HDD: Im planning on swapping out my laptops HDD with an SSD, and I was wondering if the OS clones to the new drive? Also I have a few programs that have licenses using ilok so would those carry over too or would i have to authenticate my software again? Thanks in advance!...
  8. HDD Clone To SSD Won't Boot After A Week...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HDD Clone To SSD Won't Boot After A Week...: I recently cloned the hard drive in my cousin's computer over to an SSD. The computer booted just fine on the first try with the SSD. I ran some updates and got rid of some startup programs she didn't need. She got it back a couple of days later and it was running fine....
  9. Cloning HDD to SSD-HDD is 512 format & SSD is 4096 format. Matter?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloning HDD to SSD-HDD is 512 format & SSD is 4096 format. Matter?: If so, what are my options? This HDD came from HP w/Win 7. I upgraded it to Win 10 but would like to clone it to the SSD for the speed increase. Thanks in advance, jeff 40208
  10. Can't Boot Win10 from SSD (HDD clone)

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Boot Win10 from SSD (HDD clone): I've a 2TB Toshiba HDD and recently purchased a 480GB PNY SSD. I would like to migrate all the data the HDD contains to the SSD, use the SSD as my main drive and just dump movies, photos etc. to the HDD later. Since I've only about 300GB on the HDD, I wanted to a direct...