Windows 10: Cloned M2 SSD will not boot, goes into repair immediatel, Windows 10

Discus and support Cloned M2 SSD will not boot, goes into repair immediatel, Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I inserted both M.2 SSDs into my PC. I cloned the main M.2. SSD onto a bigger SSD but keeping the same partition sizes. The Laptop BIOS can see and IDs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sineira, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Sineira Win User

Cloned M2 SSD will not boot, goes into repair immediatel, Windows 10

I inserted both M.2 SSDs into my PC.
    I cloned the main M.2. SSD onto a bigger SSD but keeping the same partition sizes.
    The Laptop BIOS can see and IDs both SSDs (one at a time, only one M.2 slot).
    The Laptop refuses to boot no matter what, goes into repair mode but no repairs are working.

For some reason the Laptop goes into repair with both old and new M.2 SSD now.

bootrec /RebuildBcd Finds zero installations
    bootrec /fixboot says "Access is denied"

I tried to build a USB with the Kyhi ISO and it won't boot even though it sees the Sandisk USB and it looks good otherwise.
    Not sure what to do next?

:)

Sineira, Jul 27, 2020

2. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jul 27, 2020
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Jul 27, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

2 ssd migration to larger m2 ssd

Hi The

If you can connect both M2's to your system then you can clone the old Ms onto the new one - most systems do not have a second M2 port - you should check to see if that is possible . . .

If you can connect both drives to your system then the free version of Macrium Reflect would be a good choice to perform the cloning . ..

If you cannot connect both drives, then you will be unable to clone the old drive and your only choice will be to backup your data and clean install Windows 10 onto the new M2 SSD

DaveM121, Jul 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Cloned M2 SSD will not boot, goes into repair immediatel, Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Cloned SSD boot

2. Repair BSOD with swaping SSD m2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repair BSOD with swaping SSD m2: Hello it is possible to get rid of BSOD and pc crash by swapinch ssd2?Every possible fix i try crash ith others errors or simple my pc restart before i can finish it. My windows is corrupted i cannot upgrade him also when i try to fix it, new error Error 0x800f081f + others...
  3. Repair BSOD with swaping SSD m2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Repair BSOD with swaping SSD m2: Hello it is possible to get rid of BSOD and pc crash by swapinch ssd2?Every possible fix i try crash ith others errors or simple my pc restart before i can finish it. My windows is corrupted i cannot upgrade him also when i try to fix it, new error Error 0x800f081f + others...
  4. Booting from M2 SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting from M2 SSD: Hello,I had installed windows 10 on classic SSD and yesterday I bought new M2 SSD, plug in into my PC and install windows 11. I want to unplug the first SSD, but when I do it my PC not boot only Bios startup and I can't use this new M2 for boot. Can u please help with that if...
  5. Booting from M2 SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booting from M2 SSD: Hello,I had installed windows 10 on classic SSD and yesterday I bought new M2 SSD, plug in into my PC and install windows 11. I want to unplug the first SSD, but when I do it my PC not boot only Bios startup and I can't use this new M2 for boot. Can u please help with that if...
  6. Cloned SSD not booting on Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloned SSD not booting on Windows: I recently cloned my crucial MX500 1TB SSD from my hard drive successfully on a Dell XPS 8700 4th generation computer. When I removed the hard drive and installed the SSD into the same SATA slot and restarted the desktop I received an error code of 0xc0000225 indicating a...
  7. Cloned SSD not booting to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cloned SSD not booting to Windows 10: So I have installed a new 1TB SSD to migrate my C drive from a 118 GB SSD that was full to the brim. I successfully cloned all partitions to the new drive using Macrium Reflect and, using Diskpart, I cleaned the old SSD thinking that the mobo would recognize the drive and...
  8. New M2.SSD Clone SSD won't boot Help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New M2.SSD Clone SSD won't boot Help: Hi all, I have bought a new M2.SSD. I have used Macrium reflect softwer to clone my SSD to My new M2.SSD,I have cloned all the partitions but unfortunately My PC won't boot up I Have change it on The Bios and selected as first drive to boot from but still won't boot As...
  9. Booting From M2.SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Booting From M2.SSD: I'm totally confused on this, as I'm old school computers and not this new stuff that is out there. Here's what I know. HP told me that with my Z220 Workstation that if I upgrade the BIOS that I could boot from an M2 SSD. So tonight I looked at my BIOS and saw all my drives...
  10. Windows 10 - Clone to SSD Will Not Boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 - Clone to SSD Will Not Boot: I have a Dell Latitude E6520 with a Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS HDD, i7 CPU, Nvidia NVS4200M dedicated graphics, and 16 Gigs RAM. It has run Windows 7, 64 bit for several years like a champ. I got the auto update to Windows 10 which originally had a 'flashing screen'...