Windows 10: Cloned Mechanical HDD Drive to a SSD Issue

Discus and support Cloned Mechanical HDD Drive to a SSD Issue in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Hello all, I'm not up to date on the current things of PC's. I use to build them way back when a 100MB drive was $100 USD if that tells... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Vid_Headz, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Cloned Mechanical HDD Drive to a SSD Issue

Cloned Mechanical HDD Drive to a SSD Issue YPwsM3IhbMJX_kvdCxrerTaMOznwkpe8ciAlc4UY-co.jpg

Hello all,

I'm not up to date on the current things of PC's. I use to build them way back when a 100MB drive was $100 USD if that tells you anything, LOL!

Anyway, I cloned a Seagate BarraCuda HDD to a Samsung 850 EVO SSD a few years ago and it has made it to my current laptop now (Alienware 17 R5). The issue is that in Disc Management the PC sees the Samsung SSD as the Seagate BarraCuda that I cloned. I'm trying to get more performance out of my machine for Video Editing purposes and I wanted to check my SSD's functionality to make sure this was not my bottle neck.

If the computer sees this as a mechanical drive, is the driver installed telling the PC to function this drive as a mechanical drive? And is this causing an issue with speeds?

SSD in question: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB (MZ-75E1T0)

I have read some posts in this area but did not find anything on my specific issue.

Disc Management SS

submitted by /u/Vid_Headz
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Vid_Headz, Nov 28, 2020
  2. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook | Tom's Hardware

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Nov 28, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Cloning Windows from an HDD to an SSD

Hi Nick

The only real way to do this successfully is clone everything onto the SSD, then boot from that SSD and move your user folders (Documents . . .etc to the HDD

Alternatively, move all your documents to another folder on that HDD, then omit that from the cloning operation, you can then clone the drive, and later link back into those documents in that folder . . .

DaveM121, Nov 28, 2020
  4. BulldogXX Win User

Cloned Mechanical HDD Drive to a SSD Issue

HDD to SSD

I don't understand why you changed the boot order in your BIOS.

When you image or clone an HDD, and restore the image or clone to an SSD, you've got an identical copy of your computer on a different hard drive. Nothing has changed, really. So the next step is to remove the HDD from your computer and replace it with the
    SSD, then carry on as normal.

BulldogXX, Nov 28, 2020
Thema:

Cloned Mechanical HDD Drive to a SSD Issue

1. Cloned Mechanical HDD Drive to a SSD Issue - Similar Threads - Cloned Mechanical HDD

2. Issue after cloning SSD drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue after cloning SSD drive: Hi there I have cloned my 500gb SSD drive with Windows 10 64bit on to a 2tb SSD after running out of space after doing so the partion is followed by a Microsoft partition before the unallocated space so Im unable to extend the volume is there a workaround even if it means...
  3. Issue after cloning SSD drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue after cloning SSD drive: Hi there I have cloned my 500gb SSD drive with Windows 10 64bit on to a 2tb SSD after running out of space after doing so the partion is followed by a Microsoft partition before the unallocated space so Im unable to extend the volume is there a workaround even if it means...
  4. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clone HDD to SSD: Of all the many programs than come with Win10, do any allow the cloning of the OS to a new SSD? If so, are the instructions easy to understand & follow? If not, can you recommend one?Thanks!...
  5. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clone HDD to SSD: Of all the many programs than come with Win10, do any allow the cloning of the OS to a new SSD? If so, are the instructions easy to understand & follow? If not, can you recommend one?Thanks!...
  6. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. HDD to SSD clone.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD to SSD clone.: Want to transfer my whole operating system along with the data from a HDD to a SSD but don't know how to do it. Help needed. SSD not yet bought so suggestion on what company to buy from are welcome. Currently using western digital wd10spzx-60z10t0 1TB. Let me know if more...
  8. Cloning a hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning a hdd to ssd: 1t to 250 gig ssd using MiniTool Partition Free. Very little on the hdd and I never even fill up a 128g ssd !! Anything I have to be aware of ? Thanks 143870
  9. Cloning a hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning a hdd to ssd: 1t to 250 gig ssd using Macrium Free. Very little on the hdd and I never even fill up a 128g ssd !! Anything I have to be aware of ? Thanks 143870
  10. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clone HDD to SSD: Most regulars here recommend and use Macrium Reflect Free which will work on ANY drive. 93058