Windows 10: Cloned SSD doesn't boot on Win10 Pro

Discus and support Cloned SSD doesn't boot on Win10 Pro in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, Running Windows 10 Pro, Version 2004 (OS BUild 19041.685) I have bought a Samsun and attempted to clone my HDD with operating system, to the new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ssd, Feb 25, 2021.

1. SSD
    ssd Win User

Cloned SSD doesn't boot on Win10 Pro

Hi,

Running Windows 10 Pro, Version 2004 (OS BUild 19041.685)

I have bought a Samsun and attempted to clone my HDD with operating system, to the new using Macrium Reflect.
    So far, been unsuccessful.

Cloned SSD doesn't boot on Win10 Pro [​IMG]

Cloned SSD doesn't boot on Win10 Pro [​IMG]

I have set the as boot drive, legacy set in the BIOS, but doesn't boot, blue screen asking to repair OS.
    I have have tried all sorts, disconnected the old HDD, used these cables on the new .

I used the create boot disk in Macrium, clicking repair system/boot, but no effect. I don't have a windows disk.
    Been at this for a week now and no luck.

I have updated my system info on my profile, let me know if you need any further information.

:)

2. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Feb 25, 2021
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Feb 25, 2021
  4. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook | Tom's Hardware

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Feb 25, 2021
Thema:

1. Cloned SSD doesn't boot on Win10 Pro - Similar Threads - Cloned SSD doesn't

2. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: On Feb 8 I asked this question. I have follow-on questions, but could not add to previous question. Although my Old too-small win10 PRO C:\ still works perfectly, I am still unable to get my Cloned 1TB D:\ drive to boot, although the D: appears correctly cloned except for the...
  3. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: On Feb 8 I asked this question. I have follow-on questions, but could not add to previous question. Although my Old too-small win10 PRO C:\ still works perfectly, I am still unable to get my Cloned 1TB D:\ drive to boot, although the D: appears correctly cloned except for the...
  4. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: I have a DIY desktop that I built in 2013 and installed as I remember win8. It has been automatically updating since then. It now has the latest version of Win10. I still runs well. My problem is that the win10 C: SSD drive is too small 256GB. I purchased a larger 1TB SSD. I...
  6. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: I have a DIY desktop that I built in 2013 and installed as I remember win8. It has been automatically updating since then. It now has the latest version of Win10. I still runs well. My problem is that the win10 C: SSD drive is too small 256GB. I purchased a larger 1TB SSD. I...
  7. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Problems booting win10 after cloned SSD swap

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problems booting win10 after cloned SSD swap: I have recently purchased a SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1 TB SSD to upgrade my existing SSD C drive (250GB OCZ-AGILITY) Using Samsung Data Migration Tool I eventually cloned the new drive successfully after several failed attempts using a spare SATA lead. I then openned up the PC and...
  9. Clone Win10 pro SSD Questions

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone Win10 pro SSD Questions: Hello everyone! I'm new here and so far, have done five successful upgrades from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro. All activated fine. These were fresh installs to new SSDs using the old Win7 Pro keys entered during installation or embedded bios . My question is for two identical...
  10. Can't Boot Win10 from SSD (HDD clone)

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Boot Win10 from SSD (HDD clone): I've a 2TB Toshiba HDD and recently purchased a 480GB PNY SSD. I would like to migrate all the data the HDD contains to the SSD, use the SSD as my main drive and just dump movies, photos etc. to the HDD later. Since I've only about 300GB on the HDD, I wanted to a direct...