Windows 10: Cloned SSD not booting on Windows

Discus and support Cloned SSD not booting on Windows in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I recently cloned my crucial MX500 1TB SSD from my hard drive successfully on a Dell XPS 8700 4th generation computer. When I removed the hard drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Ronald Covrett, Feb 22, 2022.

1. Cloned SSD not booting on Windows

I recently cloned my crucial MX500 1TB SSD from my hard drive successfully on a Dell XPS 8700 4th generation computer. When I removed the hard drive and installed the SSD into the same SATA slot and restarted the desktop I received an error code of 0xc0000225 indicating a required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. I suspect that this error occurred because I removed the hard drive. Should I leave the hard drive in its original place and install the SSD in an unused SATA slot?

:)

Ronald Covrett, Feb 22, 2022
  2. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Feb 22, 2022
  3. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Feb 22, 2022
  4. cadaveca Win User

Cloned SSD not booting on Windows

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Feb 22, 2022
Thema:

Cloned SSD not booting on Windows

1. Cloned SSD not booting on Windows - Similar Threads - Cloned SSD booting

2. cloned ssd not booting windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cloned ssd not booting windows.: Hi - I have recently installed a 2nd faster m2 drive. I had the intention of moving everything over to the new ssd including windows to see if it would be a faster response when working with large CAD files. The existing Adata ssd was cloned over to the new samsung ssd, both...
  3. cloned ssd not booting windows.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cloned ssd not booting windows.: Hi - I have recently installed a 2nd faster m2 drive. I had the intention of moving everything over to the new ssd including windows to see if it would be a faster response when working with large CAD files. The existing Adata ssd was cloned over to the new samsung ssd, both...
  4. cloned ssd not booting windows.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Cloned SSD not booting on Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloned SSD not booting on Windows: I recently cloned my crucial MX500 1TB SSD from my hard drive successfully on a Dell XPS 8700 4th generation computer. When I removed the hard drive and installed the SSD into the same SATA slot and restarted the desktop I received an error code of 0xc0000225 indicating a...
  6. Cloned SSD not booting on Windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cloned SSD not booting on Windows: I recently cloned my crucial MX500 1TB SSD from my hard drive successfully on a Dell XPS 8700 4th generation computer. When I removed the hard drive and installed the SSD into the same SATA slot and restarted the desktop I received an error code of 0xc0000225 indicating a...
  7. Cloned SSD not booting to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cloned SSD not booting to Windows 10: So I have installed a new 1TB SSD to migrate my C drive from a 118 GB SSD that was full to the brim. I successfully cloned all partitions to the new drive using Macrium Reflect and, using Diskpart, I cleaned the old SSD thinking that the mobo would recognize the drive and...
  8. SSD Cloned but won't boot

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    SSD Cloned but won't boot: Greetings, I am trying to upgrade my laptop SSD into a larger size NVME. After looking up how to do that, I used Macrium Reflect to clone my old SSD into the new one. I then replaced the old SSD with the new, but it did not boot. I checked this forum here and found a common...
  9. Cloned SSD not booting into Windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloned SSD not booting into Windows: I cloned my hard drive to a new SSD with Macrium software and it appears in my Disk Manager as an active disk with System Reserved partitions (all my disks are MBR). However, when I try to boot from it, I receive a "No Operating System found" error. Because I have two other...
  10. Windows 10 - Clone to SSD Will Not Boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 - Clone to SSD Will Not Boot: I have a Dell Latitude E6520 with a Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS HDD, i7 CPU, Nvidia NVS4200M dedicated graphics, and 16 Gigs RAM. It has run Windows 7, 64 bit for several years like a champ. I got the auto update to Windows 10 which originally had a 'flashing screen'...