Windows 10: Cloned SSD suddenly stopped being bootable

Discus and support Cloned SSD suddenly stopped being bootable in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to wrangle an 8 year old pc into a decently-usable state. Sequence of events: 1. Cloned Windows 10 Pro 64-bit from HDD to SSD. 2. Bios was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nuthatch, Jan 21, 2021.

1. nuthatch Win User

Cloned SSD suddenly stopped being bootable

I'm trying to wrangle an 8 year old pc into a decently-usable state.
    Sequence of events:
    1. Cloned Windows 10 Pro 64-bit from HDD to SSD.
    2. Bios was being weird about letting me into the boot options, so eventually I try disconnecting the HDD.
    3. Success! SSD boots into windows, everything seems fine.
    4. Reconnect HDD so I can wipe it to use as storage.
    5. System boots from HDD, treating it as C drive.
    6. Disconnect HDD again. Reboot. System insists SSD is now not a bootable drive.

I don't understand. At all. It worked and now it doesn't. I even tried re-cloning and immediately bootiing with only the SSD connected, no luck.

Any ideas?

:)

nuthatch, Jan 21, 2021
  2. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook | Tom's Hardware

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Jan 21, 2021
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Jan 21, 2021
  4. Cloned SSD suddenly stopped being bootable

Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jan 21, 2021
Thema:

Cloned SSD suddenly stopped being bootable

1. Cloned SSD suddenly stopped being bootable - Similar Threads - Cloned SSD suddenly

2. How do I make a bootable cloned ssd.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I make a bootable cloned ssd.: I have a pretty old computer. An hp pavilion prebuilt desktop from 2011. It has a very old hdd with more than 400gb. I bought a 240gb Kingston ssd from amazon. I tried to install windows 10 on the ssd but because the computer is old it didn't work. Can anyone please tell what...
  3. How do I make a bootable cloned ssd.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I make a bootable cloned ssd.: I have a pretty old computer. An hp pavilion prebuilt desktop from 2011. It has a very old hdd with more than 400gb. I bought a 240gb Kingston ssd from amazon. I tried to install windows 10 on the ssd but because the computer is old it didn't work. Can anyone please tell what...
  4. Making a bootable clone

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Making a bootable clone: I want to clone my c: drive to an external hard drive and then use the external drive as a boot drive. Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/making-a-bootable-clone/c1231084-ab3e-4156-a3e7-51b2959a3df4
  5. ssd being recognized as hdd after clone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ssd being recognized as hdd after clone: I went to upgrade my hard drive to a ssd -using macrium to clone it- and its being recognized as a hard disk drive with computer performance being just as slow as the original hard drive. I've already tired update driver, winsat formal, and winsat diskformal both ran as...
  6. Cloned Drive bootable?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloned Drive bootable?: I have an SSD in my laptop. I cloned it to a SSD in an external case. When I put the cloned drive in the laptop it isn't recognized. How do I make it bootable? 161368
  7. Cloned Drive bootable?

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloned Drive bootable?: I have an SSD in my laptop. I cloned it to a SSD in an external case. When I put the cloned drive in the laptop it isn't recognized. How do I make it bootable? 161368
  8. SSD Suddenly not Bootable?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD Suddenly not Bootable?: I've been running windows 10 from a 240GB kingdom A400 SSD without issue. This morning the PC had rebooted but couldn't find a dive to boot from. I moved in another drive (already had windows installed), and it booted without issue. I could still read my old windows drive...
  9. Clone system to an external bootable USB / SSD (Wintogo system)

Clone system to an external bootable USB / SSD (Wintogo system): Hi folks while Ms seems to be deprecating the Windows to go idea (currently its only officially available when "Certified" devices are used and you use Windows enterprise you can easily make a Windows to go from any Windows edition -- the problem is that most of the Free...
  10. Problems with bootable System Clone on USB-SSD

Problems with bootable System Clone on USB-SSD: For years I tried to get a running Windows system with all installed software that is bootable from USB, it never worked. Then came Microsoft with Windows To Go, but this supports only a few special USB sticks. The mini solution I then found is WinToUSB that at least can...