Windows 10: Cloned SSD won't boot, auto-tries Win 10 Startup repair, which fails

Discus and support Cloned SSD won't boot, auto-tries Win 10 Startup repair, which fails in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; So I shoulda read the macrium guide first. I figure I better stop experimenting and just ask someone. Can you guys give me some suggestions about what... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by CreeDorofl, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Cloned SSD won't boot, auto-tries Win 10 Startup repair, which fails

So I shoulda read the macrium guide first. I figure I better stop experimenting and just ask someone.
    Can you guys give me some suggestions about what to try next?

I was tasked with cloning Old Drive (500GB IDE HDD, Win 10) to New SSD (1TB SSD).

Before cloning/imaging, I tried to test-boot Old Drive into totally different PC. Was that dumb? I got to login screen.

Booted to my usual OS drive (Win 7), tried to create an image of Old Drive with Macrium Reflect.
    Reflect found errors, suggested I run scandisk. Did that, then tried again and successfully created an image.

Used Macrium to put the image onto New SSD. Attempted to boot. I got as far as the frowny face Windows 10 "your PC ran into a problem" screen. After rebooting, it attempted startup repair, which failed.

Putting the New Drive into a drive dock, I see all the files, and partitions in disk manager.

---------------------------------

Ideas from googling

- something about MBR vs. GPT? Original drive is GPT. Cloned drive says it's GPT. https://i.imgur.com/WwJfG0x.png
    I think I remember someone saying that GPT + NTFS is a problem?

- enable legacy mode in bios? I'm not sure if that applies to GPT drive?

I have UEFI, and there's no "UEFI or Legacy" option specifically. Under boot you can choose AHCI vs. IDE modes, and you can tell it to treat drives as IDE or SSD. I tried booting in IDE mode, and telling it that New Drive is an SSD... same result.
    This is what my UEFI looks like: https://static.techspot.com/articles...10-j_1100.webp

- Do I need to try some command-line stuff like fixMBR or whatever? If so, does it have to be from the recovery environment prompt, or can I do it within windows using the drive dock?

- I have a partition that isn't allocated/formatted, does that matter?

Screenshots:
    Original drive in Disk Manager (last one): https://i.imgur.com/aDcg2an.png
    Cloned drive in Disk Manager: https://i.imgur.com/QC94VIn.png

What should I do?

:)

CreeDorofl, Feb 3, 2021
  2. Entegy Win User

Removing one of two Win 10 installs then cloning

Format the SSD, then reboot and make sure the computer still boots to your HDD Windows 10. If it fails, boot from a Windows install USB or DVD and run startup repair.

Once you're booting off HDD Windows 10, clone it to the SSD, remove the HDD, and boot. If it fails, once again run startup repair.

Once you're sure you're booting fine off of the SSD, connect the HDD again and format it.

Entegy, Feb 3, 2021
  3. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Feb 3, 2021
  4. rk3066 Win User

Cloned SSD won't boot, auto-tries Win 10 Startup repair, which fails

Win.10 won't boot after installing Win.7

Hi,

So i installed Win.10 via the UEFI and after installing Win.7 on Legacy Mode onto a different HDD i can't boot into Win.10 (I believe can only because Win.10 was installed via UEFI)

I tried installing the BCD Software but nope. I even tried to select my HDD but say Winload.exe error

Even tried going into the USB and try repairing but the same thing happens

rk3066, Feb 3, 2021
Thema:

Cloned SSD won't boot, auto-tries Win 10 Startup repair, which fails

1. Cloned SSD won't boot, auto-tries Win 10 Startup repair, which fails - Similar Threads - Cloned SSD won't

2. Win 10 won't boot - wants to repair but that fails.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 won't boot - wants to repair but that fails.: When I returned home after hurricane IAN, my AMD Windows 10 computer would not boot, but always goes to the repair screen, but repair never works. I downloaded the version for a USB drive and tried repair, but same problem. If I buy a new Win 10 download, will it offer me an...
  3. Win 10 won't boot - wants to repair but that fails.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 won't boot - wants to repair but that fails.: When I returned home after hurricane IAN, my AMD Windows 10 computer would not boot, but always goes to the repair screen, but repair never works. I downloaded the version for a USB drive and tried repair, but same problem. If I buy a new Win 10 download, will it offer me an...
  4. Win 10 won't boot - wants to repair but that fails.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. SSD Cloned but won't boot

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    SSD Cloned but won't boot: Greetings, I am trying to upgrade my laptop SSD into a larger size NVME. After looking up how to do that, I used Macrium Reflect to clone my old SSD into the new one. I then replaced the old SSD with the new, but it did not boot. I checked this forum here and found a common...
  6. Cloned SSD won't boot

Cloned SSD won't boot: Hi, Apologies for this post, as I can see that many others have had this problem and have been given solutions, but the fix often involves writing some code in the command line and I'm not too familiar with this so don't want to try it without some help telling me what to...
  7. Cloned SSD won't boot

Cloned SSD won't boot: Hi, I cloned my HDD to an SSD I added to an M2 slot, but it won't boot. I have followed various guides to troubleshooting this without success. I've changed the boot order in the BIOS and checked it's in the right mode. I tried booting from a USB and using the Windows auto...
  8. Cloned SSD Won't boot

Cloned SSD Won't boot: I have recently purchased a 1tb MX500 Crucial SSD with the intention to make it my main boot drive and use my current HDD as extra storage. I connected the SSD to my PC using another SATA data and power cable. I proceeded to clone through Acronis and everything seemed to be...
  9. Drive clone to SSD won't boot to Win 10...

in Windows 10 Support
    Drive clone to SSD won't boot to Win 10...: Startup repair didn't fix the issue. What do you need to see to help me? I upgraded windows from 7 to 10 on this machine. It boots and runs properly (but slow) on the ST mechanical drive. After the cloning operation with the ADATA version of Acronis, the SSD will not...
  10. Cloned SSD won't boot

Cloned SSD won't boot: HP 17-G153US Laptop Windows 10 EaseUS Partition master 14 used to clone Here is a shot from EaseUs and my device manager. My cloned SSD wont boot when installed but will from usb connection. I have cloned hard drives without this much trouble in the past. Any help or...