Windows 10: Cloned WIN10/64 Boot drive will not Boot! Boot volume stays OFFLINE

Discus and support Cloned WIN10/64 Boot drive will not Boot! Boot volume stays OFFLINE in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have been grappling with an issue for a couple of days now and getting nowhere fast. I have been helping my brother with his PC and we... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by joemcmorrow, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Cloned WIN10/64 Boot drive will not Boot! Boot volume stays OFFLINE

Hello,

I have been grappling with an issue for a couple of days now and getting nowhere fast.

I have been helping my brother with his PC and we suspect that his SSD drive may be failing.

I used the personal edition of macrium reflect to clone his SSD onto a 1TB spindle drive - the clone worked fine and completed successfully.

However, when trying to boot off the 1TB disk, I get a blue screen saying windows cannot boot.

Using the startup repair CD - it says it is diagnosing errors, then this may take an hour to complete, then "startup repair couldn't repair your PC".

I have then used DISKPART and can see the boot volume is OFFLINE. The disk is ONLINE.

Trying to put the volume ONLINE fails. with the message "diskpart could not online the selected volume" I tried the OVERRIDE switch but it does not apply to the ONLINE command.

I have then tried the BOOTREC command sequence and /FIXMBR completed successfully but /FIXBOOT returns the cryptic response:

"The device is not ready".

So having selected the disk then used the command "list volume" I get

Volume 1 Partition 299GB Healthy Offline

There is no drive letter assigned but even if I assign one, it makes no difference.

If I assign a drive letter to the volume having booted another machine then attaching this disk, I can see all the data in the typical C drive volume - it is all there, just not bootable.

I have cloned many drives in the past with macrium, cloning from spindle to SSD, SSD to spindle, spindle to spindle and SSD to SSD and all have been fine, just this one.

The original donor SSD drive that has been cloned seems to be absolutely fine and works ok- but for how long?

Does anyone have any suggestions that I have not already tried?!

Thanks

:)

joemcmorrow, Mar 9, 2020
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Unmountable Boot Volume

Unmountable boot volume usually means a bad hard drive. Booting the XP CD and running chkdsk will sometime bring the computer back to life for a while, but eventually the drive will die.

newtekie1, Mar 9, 2020
  3. cloning a dual boot drive has been unsuccessful

I've spent the better part of the last two days attempting to create a clone of my hard drive to a new SSD. I have an operating, legal copy of both systems. I have had different results depending on how I have attempted this, but will spare those details.
    I have tried to pieces of cloning software with basically the same result.

If I clone from the WIN7 system, the clone of it works. The clone on the WIN10 system under the same process doesn't. All files are present but the boot of WIN10 fails, predominantly with a blank screen that if I move the mouse, it appears briefly. I suspect
    this is a partial answer. but the WIN10 system CAN boot if the original hard drive is still in place. It is NOT the boot drive, but its files are present that I wonder if the boot loader can find.

If I clone from the WIN10 system, I get a functional WIN10 system. I've gotten different results with the WIN7 system, but the most frustrating result is when booting it I get a 'preparing desktop message' and ultimately a "this copy of windows is not genuine".
    More often than not before I get to that point the boot detects problems and tries to repair the start-up, etc

I have use Macrium Reflect as well as AOMEI Backupper Standard. The results are the same

I have tried to clone each system individually, the WIN7 clone while running WIN7, the WIN10 clone while WIN10 is running. No better luck. The WIN10 system won't boot without the HDD present

Hopefully

lyledowell, Mar 9, 2020
  4. puma99dk| Win User

Cloned WIN10/64 Boot drive will not Boot! Boot volume stays OFFLINE

960 EVO won't boot after cloning

hmm now one got any idea what can be wrong here?

Some more info after I clone my Win10 over to my M.2. SSD I can't find it as a [Windows Boot Manager] in the bios until I load back into Win10 on my SATA SSD and I go to disk management and I see that it's offline and then I change it to online then I can boot into safe mode but not normal.

puma99dk|, Mar 9, 2020
Thema:

Cloned WIN10/64 Boot drive will not Boot! Boot volume stays OFFLINE

1. Cloned WIN10/64 Boot drive will not Boot! Boot volume stays OFFLINE - Similar Threads - Cloned WIN10 Boot

2. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: On Feb 8 I asked this question. I have follow-on questions, but could not add to previous question. Although my Old too-small win10 PRO C:\ still works perfectly, I am still unable to get my Cloned 1TB D:\ drive to boot, although the D: appears correctly cloned except for the...
  3. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: On Feb 8 I asked this question. I have follow-on questions, but could not add to previous question. Although my Old too-small win10 PRO C:\ still works perfectly, I am still unable to get my Cloned 1TB D:\ drive to boot, although the D: appears correctly cloned except for the...
  4. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: I have a DIY desktop that I built in 2013 and installed as I remember win8. It has been automatically updating since then. It now has the latest version of Win10. I still runs well. My problem is that the win10 C: SSD drive is too small 256GB. I purchased a larger 1TB SSD. I...
  6. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: I have a DIY desktop that I built in 2013 and installed as I remember win8. It has been automatically updating since then. It now has the latest version of Win10. I still runs well. My problem is that the win10 C: SSD drive is too small 256GB. I purchased a larger 1TB SSD. I...
  7. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive: I'm sure I screwed something up, but here's my situation. I bought an SSD, unfortunately a little smaller than I should have. In using free Macrium Reflect software to clone my original main drive, I realized I needed a few more gigs of space. The operation requires moving...
  9. Cloned Boot Drive won't boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloned Boot Drive won't boot: Update: Whilst typing up all that I’d done so far, I managed to solve it, but posting anyway in case of help to others. Apologies in advance for being a newbie and the probably obvious mistakes made here. I had a Windows 10 Pro install on a 128GB SSD. It was full so I...
  10. Cloned drive will not boot

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloned drive will not boot: Hi guys I'm a little embarrassed to ask for help from a cloning operation, being an IT guy...but this one has me stumped. Short background: Bought a inexpensive Acer laptop (R 15) Seemed like a great deal for under $499, great screen, good video, Intel i5. But got it...