Windows 10: Cloning a hard drive and replacing it: how to keep the same drive Letter (D:)upon reboot?

Discus and support Cloning a hard drive and replacing it: how to keep the same drive Letter (D:)upon reboot? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi all, I have replaced my 1tb HDD by a 2tb SDD on my laptop. So far so good, I used a USB 3 to SATA cable, cloned the secondary drive and replaced... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Gromchy, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Cloning a hard drive and replacing it: how to keep the same drive Letter (D:)upon reboot?

Hi all,

I have replaced my 1tb HDD by a 2tb SDD on my laptop. So far so good, I used a USB 3 to SATA cable, cloned the secondary drive and replaced it.

But here is the problem: upon rebooting, the secondary drive name becomes E: instead of D:, which messes up all my programs associations (about half of them are installed in the secondary drive).

I was able to fix it afterwards by using a tool to rename it, then reboot. But a lot of programs got messed up and I had a reinstall them. No data lost as it's a clone, but still...

In the future, how can I make sure to rename the drive to D: before replacing my drive which is already named D: ? Obviously I can't name both the same name D...

submitted by /u/Gromchy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Gromchy, Dec 2, 2020

2. Swapping drive letters, including boot volume

I have a new computer. I want to clone the system to a new SSD. Can I change the drive letter of the SSD to C: after cloning?

I have a new ASUS M52BC with:

• 1 TB hard drive with a Windows (CCloning a hard drive and replacing it: how to keep the same drive Letter (D:)upon reboot? :) and empty data (DCloning a hard drive and replacing it: how to keep the same drive Letter (D:)upon reboot? :) partition
    • Windows 8.1 (I will upgrade to Windows 10 very soon) on the hard drive
    • Samsung SSD 850 EVO (physically installed but nothing more done to it)
    What I want to get to is:

• 1 TB hard drive with the data (DCloning a hard drive and replacing it: how to keep the same drive Letter (D:)upon reboot? :) partition and (for the old Windows partition) the drive letter of the C: changed to something else
    • Windows 10 on the SSD as the C:
    I don't intend to boot to Windows on the hard drive after I get Windows working on the SSD unless I need to remove the SSD for return to ASUS for repair. (My new computer had a bad motherboard when I received it but I hope I do not need to return it again.)

I want to clone Windows to the SSD using the Samsung Data Migration tool. During the clone, the SSD will of course not have the drive letter "C". To boot from and use the SSD after the cloning, it must have the drive letter "C", correct? I assume the Data
    Migration tool cannot change the drive letter used by the software it clones.

After the clone, how do I swap the drive letters? I assume I cannot change the drive letter of the hard drive Windows partition when it was used to boot from because it would be the boot drive, correct?

I know that some people will suggest that I do a fresh install. I want to avoid doing that if possible.

I see
    Migrate system partition to a new disk
    . I think that describes doing what I am trying to do, but unfortunately he does not know how he did it.

Simple Samples, Dec 2, 2020
  3. Sanhime Win User
    Cloning from 1TB to 2TB hard drive

Whats a good free imaging/cloning program? I have a 1TB hard drive with Win7 and I want to seamlessly migrate my stuff to a 2TB hard drive. Any suggestions?

Sanhime, Dec 2, 2020
  4. Cloning a hard drive and replacing it: how to keep the same drive Letter (D:)upon reboot?

Cloning from 1TB to 2TB hard drive

Hello, Migrating a 1TB Hard Drive to a 2TB HDD is very possible.

My Rig started out on just 160GB, when I upgraded HDDs, I cloned my 160 GB into a newly bought 500GB HDD. (it was an OS HDD)

Then on the next HDD upgrade(I bought a 1 TB) I cloned that 500GB to a 1 TB HDD.

No problems at all.

From what I can remember the program I used was Acronis?? I forgot. But it ran the cloning process outside of windows. the cloning took like 30 to 1 hr. then I switched drive letters and the newly bought HDD is now my boot device.

lyndonguitar, Dec 2, 2020
Thema:

Cloning a hard drive and replacing it: how to keep the same drive Letter (D:)upon reboot?

1. Cloning a hard drive and replacing it: how to keep the same drive Letter (D:)upon reboot? - Similar Threads - Cloning hard drive

2. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    replacing Hard drive: I bought a computer a while ago with the OS on a 200gb SSD. We've had nothing but troubles with space. I want to get a bigger SSD to salvage the PC, but I'm not sure how to move the OS over. A lot of forums/threads I've read seem risky, and the methods all seem varied. Anyone...
  3. Cloning a hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cloning a hard drive: Original OS - Windows 8.1Current OS - Windows 10My Dell Desktop won't boot up. Diagnostics shows my HDD is OK. I was wanting to copy everything to a backup drive before I tried to re-install Windows 8.1 original OS. I pulled the HDD WD 1TB SATA, attached a SATA to USB cable...
  4. Cloning a hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning a hard drive: Original OS - Windows 8.1Current OS - Windows 10My Dell Desktop won't boot up. Diagnostics shows my HDD is OK. I was wanting to copy everything to a backup drive before I tried to re-install Windows 8.1 original OS. I pulled the HDD WD 1TB SATA, attached a SATA to USB cable...
  5. Cloning a hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Cloning Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning Hard Drive: I use an ssd for booting windows and I had a bad 1TB hard drive which I'm now cloning to a better 2TB hard drive using Macrium Reflect. The cloning is almost done (90%) but I have a few questions. How does it work with the download/picture/documents folder in File...
  7. Replacing a hard drive but keeping the drive letter?

Replacing a hard drive but keeping the drive letter?: I want to replace the secondary hard drive in my PC with a bigger one because I need more storage space. Can I just plug in the new one, copy all my stuff to it, then unplug the old one and assign the old drive letter to the new one? Or will that cause problems? I'd like to...
  8. Replacing hard drive

Replacing hard drive: Hey guys! So recently my hard drive crashed and I can not get into my computer. My question is if I get a new hard drive, looking at a portable option for 50 bucks, how do I install Windows 10 on this new drive. I have never done this before and all help is appreciated!...
  9. Hard drive clone

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hard drive clone: Hey: Can I create a cloned drive by cloning to a hd on my PC from my laptop drive & then from the PC to SSD? I only have 1 cable & my laptop will not boot. Both machines have win10 upgrades - 1 from win7 pro -PC & 1 from win 8 home - laptop....
  10. Running alternative clone hard drive on same computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Running alternative clone hard drive on same computer: I was just thinking of making a clone of my Win 10 hard drive and running the program on alternative months. In other words run one version for a month then swapping drives and using the clone for the next month. All my files are saved on a NAS drive and the hard drives are...