Windows 10: Cloning a large capacity hard disk to a small SSD

Discus and support Cloning a large capacity hard disk to a small SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi looking for some advice, I have a laptop and the HD is painfully slow so I have decided to swap the hard drive for an SSD. Now the existing hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by xendistar, Jun 28, 2019.

1. xendistar Win User

Cloning a large capacity hard disk to a small SSD

Hi looking for some advice, I have a laptop and the HD is painfully slow so I have decided to swap the hard drive for an SSD. Now the existing hard drive is a 1TB drive but for what I need the laptop for I have opted for a much smaller SSD drive (I have plenty of Network storage and the laptop is only likely to be used two or three times a month at most). I don't need all the hidden recovery partitions, I just need the one required for the boot process and the C drive.

So is this possible? Secondly if so how and finally what the best cloning software to use?

Thanks in advance

:)

xendistar, Jun 28, 2019
  2. Jessen P Win User

Query about cloning hard disk to ssd and its effect on the licence

Hi Thavidu,

With respect to Windows 10 activation: changing the hard disk does not affect activation. You will need a license for Windows 10 only if you change the motherboard and/or CPU.

I would suggest you to check the suggestions by BulldogXX from the link mentioned below and see if it helps.

Can I clone a Windows 10 drive to upgrade to SSD?

Please revert if you need any further assistance regarding the cloning of the hard disk.

Thank you.

Jessen P, Jun 28, 2019
  3. qinada Win User
    Clone a 1 Tb drive to a 512 Mb SSC

Hi Vaughn,

You can
    clone larger HDD to small SSD
    with a professional disk cloning software as long as the used space is smaller than the SSD. You will not worry it will clone the unused space unless you use sector by sector clone mode.

I suggest you to clone your HDD to SSD with AOMEI Backupper, if the used space is larger than the SSD, you can clone only the OS to SSD and keep the HDD as data storage. This software is very easy to operate.

qinada, Jun 28, 2019
  4. mysery006 Win User

HDD to SSD clone

In general, there is no way to clone 500 GB hard to 240 GB SSD. But if your data on hard drive is less than 240 GB, you can use AOMEI Backupper. This software allows you to clone large hard drive to smaller SSD.
    hope it works for you.

mysery006, Jun 28, 2019
Thema:

1. Cloning a large capacity hard disk to a small SSD - Similar Threads - Cloning large capacity

2. Cloning low capacity SSD to a high Capacity SSD disk before Activating the Windows on a new...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning low capacity SSD to a high Capacity SSD disk before Activating the Windows on a new...: I have bought a new MiniPC with 500 GB SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 preinstalled with OEM Windows 11 Pro.I have not Activated the Windows 11 Pro yet. Can I first clone the preinstalled 500 GB SSD to a new 2 TB SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 before activating the Windows? And then Activate...
  3. Cloning low capacity SSD to a high Capacity SSD disk before Activating the Windows on a new...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloning low capacity SSD to a high Capacity SSD disk before Activating the Windows on a new...: I have bought a new MiniPC with 500 GB SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 preinstalled with OEM Windows 11 Pro.I have not Activated the Windows 11 Pro yet. Can I first clone the preinstalled 500 GB SSD to a new 2 TB SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 before activating the Windows? And then Activate...
  4. Migrating Windows from small SSD to large SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrating Windows from small SSD to large SSD: Hi all,I need to replace my current C drive SSD too small with a larger SSD. Windows updates are resource pigs and I'm almost out of space. I've read several articles and it seems it either takes two or three simple steps using the free Macrium Clone function or the Windows...
  5. Like to install small SSD alongside large SATA 3.5" Hard Disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Like to install small SSD alongside large SATA 3.5" Hard Disk: Okay - bit of a 'noob' question here, hope folks can help. My desktop machine (5 y.o.) is getting an upgrade. I would like to follow the suggestions that have been made of fitting a SSD for boot, Win 10 and program installation and using my large 5TB 3.5-inch hard disk...
  6. Like to install small SSD alongside large SATA 3.5" Hard Disk

Like to install small SSD alongside large SATA 3.5" Hard Disk: Okay - bit of a 'noob' question here, hope folks can help. My desktop machine (5 y.o.) is getting an upgrade. I would like to follow the suggestions that have been made of fitting a SSD for boot, Win 10 and program installation and using my large 5TB 3.5-inch hard disk...
  7. Hard disk is used to 100% capacity?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard disk is used to 100% capacity?: What can I do about it? I have googled the running processes before, but actually the system is relevant. This is the system, and a few for windows update. And sometimes chrome when I call it up. I did a virus scan. I've quarantined two things, but I don't think...
  8. Want to Clone SSD to Higher Capacity SSD

Want to Clone SSD to Higher Capacity SSD: My brother's birthday is coming up next month, and one of the things im thinking of getting for him for his birthday is a higher capacity m.2 nvme ssd for his computer, got my eyes on a 500 GB one. The one his OS is installed on is an NVMe LITEON 256GB. his Computer is a...
  9. Disk management with small windows ssd drive and large hdd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk management with small windows ssd drive and large hdd: Hi community, I recently reinstalled Windows on my 23Gb SSD. I want to use the 500gb Hdd for everything else. However, some files and programs have to be on that small 23Gb SSD (e.g. Office) and I am running out of storage after only the first day of my new Windows. How...
  10. Small SSD for large SSD for win10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Small SSD for large SSD for win10: So im selling one of my smaller ssd's 240GB and picking up a 1TB. Which drive would be better to install windows on? Not worried about drive speeds or anything like that. ive been told to keep it on a smaller SSD over a larger 1TB ssd. 82033

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can acronis clone biggest HDD to smaller SSD

2. clone big hdd to smaller ssd windows 10

3. file to file clning to ssd software from large hdd to small ssd

4. do disks need to be the same capacity to use cloning software,
  5. cloning my hard disc to ssd seems to be very sow