Windows 10: Cloning a server

Discus and support Cloning a server in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a windows server running on a test environment with SQL licensed version installed in the server, I want to make a copy of the server. What is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Aditya Ranjan ARanjan4, May 4, 2020.

1. Cloning a server

I have a windows server running on a test environment with SQL licensed version installed in the server, I want to make a copy of the server. What is the legitimate way to do it and how do I assign the license to this copy of the server?

:)

Aditya Ranjan ARanjan4, May 4, 2020
  2. newtekie1 Win User

TPU Minecraft Server

Done. Thanks for the suggestion!*Toast :toast:

newtekie1, May 4, 2020
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook | Tom's Hardware

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, May 4, 2020
  4. cadaveca Win User

Cloning a server

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, May 4, 2020
Thema:

Cloning a server

1. Cloning a server - Similar Threads - Cloning server

2. Cloned Windows 10 Boot drive ahead of a PC Upgrade and windows 11 install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloned Windows 10 Boot drive ahead of a PC Upgrade and windows 11 install: Ahead of upgrading my desktop system, I cloned my 8'ish year old 256GB M.2 boot drive to a 2T M.2. That worked great, a build the new PC, reauthorized windows and it's up and working. My eventual goal is to upgrade to Windows 11 Pro I already own the media.But disk 3 the boot...
  3. Cloned Windows 10 Boot drive ahead of a PC Upgrade and windows 11 install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloned Windows 10 Boot drive ahead of a PC Upgrade and windows 11 install: Ahead of upgrading my desktop system, I cloned my 8'ish year old 256GB M.2 boot drive to a 2T M.2. That worked great, a build the new PC, reauthorized windows and it's up and working. My eventual goal is to upgrade to Windows 11 Pro I already own the media.But disk 3 the boot...
  4. Cloned Windows 10 Boot drive ahead of a PC Upgrade and windows 11 install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Samsung migration stuck at 99%, cloning is slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Samsung migration stuck at 99%, cloning is slow: So i got a new 990 PRO NVMe and a 840 EVO SSD for my HP envy to upgrade from a bone old 1tb HDD from 2016. Its slow and not really useful for my mother. Though these are my problems:1. On the first try, it took about 2 days being stuck 99% with very little progress done. It...
  6. NPVR Server and WinTV v10 TV Service being blocked by Windows 11 after cloning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NPVR Server and WinTV v10 TV Service being blocked by Windows 11 after cloning: Yesterday I cloned my Windows 11 Pro WD Black HDD to a new Samsung 870 EVO 2 TB SSD. On the new SSD I made two Partitions E: and N: and then using Macrium Reflect I cloned my Windows from the HDD to my SSD Partition E: and made that my C: drive in BIOS.After that everything...
  7. NPVR Server and WinTV v10 TV Service being blocked by Windows 11 after cloning

NPVR Server and WinTV v10 TV Service being blocked by Windows 11 after cloning: Yesterday I cloned my Windows 11 Pro WD Black HDD to a new Samsung 870 EVO 2 TB SSD. On the new SSD I made two Partitions E: and N: and then using Macrium Reflect I cloned my Windows from the HDD to my SSD Partition E: and made that my C: drive in BIOS.After that everything...
  8. HYPER-V - Security Issues/Reasons for NOT cloning a Linux VM Server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HYPER-V - Security Issues/Reasons for NOT cloning a Linux VM Server: I am currently running a production LINUX VM server and need to etsablish a Test server of the production Server.Logically, cloning would be Ideal, The server would be identical for testing and develeopment as well as applying OS/Software upgrades with the same or reasonably...
  9. HYPER-V - Security Issues/Reasons for NOT cloning a Linux VM Server

HYPER-V - Security Issues/Reasons for NOT cloning a Linux VM Server: I am currently running a production LINUX VM server and need to etsablish a Test server of the production Server.Logically, cloning would be Ideal, The server would be identical for testing and develeopment as well as applying OS/Software upgrades with the same or reasonably...
  10. Cloned HDD and network/DNS issues connecting to MySQL server?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cloned HDD and network/DNS issues connecting to MySQL server?: Hi there, I have a rather perplexing problem. Our work "server" (Desktop PC serving database information to workstations) has been displaying some unusual behaviour. Our practice management software used a MySQL database on the server. Many months ago, Windows performed an...