Windows 10: Cloning an Operating System?

Discus and support Cloning an Operating System? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am looking to upgrade a few old laptops to SSD's, and for a multitude of reasons it would be easier just to clone the OS with all of the existing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SparkyLite, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Cloning an Operating System?

I am looking to upgrade a few old laptops to SSD's, and for a multitude of reasons it would be easier just to clone the OS with all of the existing files, than to reinstall it on the SSD. I am upgrading some laptops for a few co workers of mine, and they are at the bottom end of the totem pole in terms of technical knowledge. So not having to deal with the hassle of reinstalling all the programs and setting everything up how they like it, would be a great bonus.

I am currently looking at easeus.com to do this for me, and its the only one i have found after a quick google search that would fit my needs. Does anyone have experience with it and could provide some information? Like how long it would take etc. Thanks!

:)

SparkyLite, Dec 18, 2018
  2. zbook Win User

Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, Dec 18, 2018
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Dec 18, 2018
  4. Cloning an Operating System?

' choose an operation system to start"

Hi Bob,

To better assist you, do let us the complete message that you receive.

Sometimes, this could be due to two operating system installed in your computer. Just to make sure this is not the case, I suggest you to try the steps below:

1. Press Windows key + R.

2. Type msconfig and press enter.

3. Click the "boot" tab and check if there are any other operating system listed.

4. In addition, change the timeout time to 3 seconds(default)

Let us know the result, we will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Wungraileng Vashi, Dec 18, 2018
Thema:

Cloning an Operating System?

1. Cloning an Operating System? - Similar Threads - Cloning Operating System

2. Operating System

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Operating System: Microsoft tried to update my window 10 to window 11. It messed up my previous operating system. I received a error message that stated, "Previous operating system has failed. My operating system has went back to the reset system. I can not find any of my documents, files,...
  3. How to clone only the Operating System?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to clone only the Operating System?: I just got a 250gb M.2 NVME and I want to transfer windows from my 2tb HDD to it but when I try cloning it says that the drive is to small. I was wondering if it was possible to only transfer the operating system and not everything. Please help....
  4. How to clone only the Operating System?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to clone only the Operating System?: I just got a 250gb M.2 NVME and I want to transfer windows from my 2tb HDD to it but when I try cloning it says that the drive is to small. I was wondering if it was possible to only transfer the operating system and not everything. Please help....
  5. How to clone only the Operating System?

6. Macrium Reflect: No operating system found after partition cloning

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect: No operating system found after partition cloning: My objective is to have a windows 10 clone on a different disk in order to be able to continue working immediately in case of a disk failure. 1)Using Macrium Reflect in Windows 10 (1909), I cloned the windows partition (which is on a GPT disk) to partition J found on another...
  7. Operation System

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Operation System: " You are running 32-bit Windows, But this installer installs 64-Bit which can only be installed on 64-bit Windows. Please download the 32-bit version on website " This is the error message i get on almost every program i try to install to my device. but my system shows i...
  8. Operating System

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Operating System: What can I do to stop getting the message, “An Operating System wasn’t found. Try disconnecting any drives that don’t contain an operating system. Press any key to restart.”, when I turn on my computer?...
  9. Operating System

Operating System: I deleted my operating system somehow when factory resetting my computer. I have an HP Envy that came pre-installed with Windows 10. Is there anything I can do to recover windows?...
  10. How to separate two operating systems running on cloned discs

How to separate two operating systems running on cloned discs: I had a small SSD which was my main C: drive, and I bought a new SSD. The old drive was cloned AS IS to the new drive, while making the new drive the main operating system and calling its drive C: instead of the old drive (which is now, say, G:). I now have two operating...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cloning an operating system

2. how to clone operating system