Windows 10: Cloning and Rebooting

Discus and support Cloning and Rebooting in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have a 240GB C-drive. I also have a 2TB external USB drive. If my C drive fails, what type of cloning and bootable drive steps should I utilize so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jimlau, Dec 27, 2019.

1. jimlau Win User

Cloning and Rebooting

I have a 240GB C-drive. I also have a 2TB external USB drive. If my C drive fails, what type of cloning and bootable drive steps should I utilize so that, if I buy a new 240GB C-drive, I can re-install a copy of the initial C drive?

Thanks.

:)

jimlau, Dec 27, 2019
  2. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook | Tom's Hardware

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Dec 27, 2019
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Dec 27, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Cloning and Rebooting

Cloning HD

I don't know about Acronis, but I use the Free version of
    AOMEI Partition Assistant
    to clone Drives and have never had any trouble . . .

Click HERE for a step by step on cloning your hard drive with AOMEI

DaveM121, Dec 27, 2019
Thema:

Cloning and Rebooting

1. Cloning and Rebooting - Similar Threads - Cloning Rebooting

2. Windows 10 - Delete cloned HDD partitions.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - Delete cloned HDD partitions.: Hi, I cloned my HDD 320gb to a 1TB new one and planned to not use the 320 again. But can't boot from this new cloned HDDinsert boot media in select boot device and press a key. So I've been trying it again, with EaseUS Todo Backup Free and same thing happens. This disk...
  3. Cloning the Windows partition as an ongoing bootable backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cloning the Windows partition as an ongoing bootable backup: I am running Windows 10 Pro from a partition on an SSD. I have two internal HDDs: one for data and the second for backups, temporary files, RAM swap file, etc. I want that second HDD to have a bootable Windows 10 Pro partition. I would use this to run my computer in case...
  4. I'm going to be needing to clone my Win 10 SSD to a new, larger SSD.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I'm going to be needing to clone my Win 10 SSD to a new, larger SSD.: The SSD I'm using now is a 500G and it's getting full, so I have a 1 terabyte* on the way. The 500G is set up as SATA. Nothing is wrong, it's just too small so I'll probably use it as data. I plan to set the new one up as SATA also, but do I call it "C new" for now or name...
  5. New SSD has successfully cloned OS, but won't boot (Non-system disk)

in Windows 10 Support
    New SSD has successfully cloned OS, but won't boot (Non-system disk): Fully operational perfectly running OS and Programs on old SSD. Macrium showed successful cloning (verified) to new SSD. Removed old and installed new. Non-system disk error. Used W10 ISO CD to get to repair mode. Repair failed. Went to CMD prompt (still using ISO disc) and...
  6. macrium clone system partition to empty usb hard drive. Does not boot

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    macrium clone system partition to empty usb hard drive. Does not boot: This old laptop only has one drive bay, so I use Macrium and clone the system partition to an empty drive in a usb caddy. The partition is cloned and marked active on the new empty drive. However when i transfer the hdd from caddy to laptop, laptop does not boot. what...
  7. Cloning Windows 10 + Steam games from hdd to M.2 sdd AND reinstalling Windows 10 w/out...

Cloning Windows 10 + Steam games from hdd to M.2 sdd AND reinstalling Windows 10 w/out...: Hey all, I haven't used windows in quite awhile and just recently bought a used 2017ish Asus GL552VW budget gaming laptop i7 2.6ghz, 16gb ram, GTX 960m to play various Steam games I know I won't be able to play newer AAA titles, mainly got it to catch up on sub-$10 RPGs from...
  8. cloned harddrives duplicated windows and issues upgrading to pro

cloned harddrives duplicated windows and issues upgrading to pro: So a while back I got a new ssd and used samsungs disc cloner to move my hdd onto it. Now I have two Windows directories and it starts to be weird, I try to boot from the new D: drive and it works and all is good until I want to update to Windows 10 pro. When I try to do...
  9. Cloned 1 tb drive to to 2tb.. how do I expand so it uses all space ? Talking about disk 0

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloned 1 tb drive to to 2tb.. how do I expand so it uses all space ? Talking about disk 0: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/pittguy578 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fjuxej/cloned_1_tb_drive_to_to_2tb_how_do_i_expand_so_it/
  10. Moving from 1tb drive to 2... how to expand cloned drive to use all excess space ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving from 1tb drive to 2... how to expand cloned drive to use all excess space ?: Cloned 1tb drive to new hard drive .. but new drive still has it at 930 gb with around that much unallocated? submitted by /u/pittguy578 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fjl09s/moving_from_1tb_drive_to_2_how_to_expand_cloned/