Windows 10: Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive

Discus and support Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm sure I screwed something up, but here's my situation. I bought an SSD, unfortunately a little smaller than I should have. In using free Macrium... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RAS037, Aug 17, 2020.

1. RAS037 Win User

Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive

I'm sure I screwed something up, but here's my situation. I bought an SSD, unfortunately a little smaller than I should have. In using free Macrium Reflect software to clone my original main drive, I realized I needed a few more gigs of space. The operation requires moving one partition at a time, sequentially, into its place on new SSD layout. I skipped over the "recovery drive" on purpose in order to save GB space on new drive. Now when replacing original drive with the cloned SSD, I just get a quick error message that the drive is missing some boot information. When I attached both of these drives via USB to another PC to compare the drives, they seem identical. Could it be my dropping the "D:-drive" (recovery partition) that's the problem, and is there a simple way to add what may be missing now after the fact? I have time to return the SSD for a larger one if I have to. Thanks.

:)

RAS037, Aug 17, 2020
  2. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Aug 17, 2020
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    boot from cloned ssd installed on cd drive

I have to assume that the cloning software you used made the SSD bootable. You can only confirm that by checking the software's documentation and confirming that you followed the procedure correctly.

I also assume that you have made a system image of the HDD. I also assume that you made a Recovery drive or a System repair disk unless you have an installation disk [which can also do the same job]. You will need this if the cloning has not worked correctly
    and you need to restore your system.

The BIOS might not be capable of booting from a SSD/HDD in the CD bay. Whilst that can be a convenient location for doing the cloning, you will almost certainly need to remove the original HDD and fit the SSD
    in its bay instead.

Put the old HDD in a USB enclosure so that it can be used as a storage drive but do not connect it to the computer while you are trying to get the SSD to boot. Bootable HDDs & SSDs have "signatures" that the system will look for during booting and finding
    multiple signatures will confuse it & probably stop it booting at all.

If, when the SSD has proved itself, you decide to fit the old HDD in the CD bay as an onboard additional storage drive then you will need to format it first so hold off on this until you are completely confident in the SSD.

- - - - - - - - -

When I did this job last year, I used Acronis TI to "clone" to the SSD. Actually, what I did was use Acronis TI to restore a system image to the SSD. That is, in effect, cloning it but I thought that it would be a more reliable way of doing it as TI system
    images are tolerant of changed hardware being found.

• I put the SSD in the CD bay to do the image restoration.
    • I removed the old HDD and put the SSD in its bay.
    • The SSD booted correctly.
    • After a while, I reformatted the old HDD and fitted it in the CD bay as an onboard additional storage drive.

Best of luck,

Denis

Tryx3, Aug 17, 2020
  4. Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive

clone drive

Hi Tanya,

Learn how to
    clone a hard drive
    to an SSD here. After cloning, all the files including boot information will be transferred to the SSD.

Lily Green, Aug 17, 2020
Thema:

Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive

1. Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive - Similar Threads - Cloning boot drive

2. Fix corrupted SSD clone boot drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fix corrupted SSD clone boot drive: I recently purchased an SSD drive, and cloned by boot drive to it using the Acronis True Image for Crucial software. The cloning process completed, and I booted from the SSD drive. But the clone is corrupt. I can log in to Windows, but immediately after that I get a long...
  3. Fix corrupted SSD clone boot drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fix corrupted SSD clone boot drive: I recently purchased an SSD drive, and cloned by boot drive to it using the Acronis True Image for Crucial software. The cloning process completed, and I booted from the SSD drive. But the clone is corrupt. I can log in to Windows, but immediately after that I get a long...
  4. Fix corrupted SSD clone boot drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: On Feb 8 I asked this question. I have follow-on questions, but could not add to previous question. Although my Old too-small win10 PRO C:\ still works perfectly, I am still unable to get my Cloned 1TB D:\ drive to boot, although the D: appears correctly cloned except for the...
  6. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: On Feb 8 I asked this question. I have follow-on questions, but could not add to previous question. Although my Old too-small win10 PRO C:\ still works perfectly, I am still unable to get my Cloned 1TB D:\ drive to boot, although the D: appears correctly cloned except for the...
  7. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: I have a DIY desktop that I built in 2013 and installed as I remember win8. It has been automatically updating since then. It now has the latest version of Win10. I still runs well. My problem is that the win10 C: SSD drive is too small 256GB. I purchased a larger 1TB SSD. I...
  8. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: I have a DIY desktop that I built in 2013 and installed as I remember win8. It has been automatically updating since then. It now has the latest version of Win10. I still runs well. My problem is that the win10 C: SSD drive is too small 256GB. I purchased a larger 1TB SSD. I...
  9. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

10. Cloned drive will not boot

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloned drive will not boot: Hi guys I'm a little embarrassed to ask for help from a cloning operation, being an IT guy...but this one has me stumped. Short background: Bought a inexpensive Acer laptop (R 15) Seemed like a great deal for under $499, great screen, good video, Intel i5. But got it...