Windows 10: Cloning contents of a dynamic disk onto a new basic partition

Discus and support Cloning contents of a dynamic disk onto a new basic partition in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a 4TB (1.2TB used) HDD that's failing and bought a brand new 2TB to replace it. For whatever reason, Windows decided it needed to be a dynamic... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/r4pidfir3x, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Cloning contents of a dynamic disk onto a new basic partition

I have a 4TB (1.2TB used) HDD that's failing and bought a brand new 2TB to replace it.

For whatever reason, Windows decided it needed to be a dynamic disk when I formatted it. Thought nothing of it, continued for a few years. My problem is that I can't just copy and paste the contents, as I have Windows Store games/apps on it. Last time I tried, Windows threw a fit and forced me to delete everything, and I can't realistically redownload 400GB of games on an ADSL connection.

I downloaded Macrium Reflect, but it's only option for "cloning" is "copy dynamic partitions", which I don't want to do, as I understand dynamic disks are deprecated.

Is there a way I can clone the contents of the dynamic disk onto a new basic disk, or do I need to cop the L and wipe all my Windows Store stuff?

submitted by /u/r4pidfir3x
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/r4pidfir3x, Sep 1, 2020
  2. Jonas Flo Win User

how to convert Dynamic disk to Basic disk without data loss ?

Hi,

The process of conversion is quite tricky but not exactly that complicated. Suggested safe is to have your data cloned and work on the clone instead of the original. This suggestions and steps were provided by one of the Microsoft Community Forum MVP's,
    John John__ in his response on this thread. Follow the steps carefully
    to be able to avoid data loss.

I hope it helps. If you have any other concerns, don't hesitate to come back to us.

Jonas Flo, Sep 1, 2020
  3. Ariel Aba Win User
    Convert Basic Disk into Dynamic Disk

Hi Charbel,

It would be helpful if you mentioned the things that you have tried to do that failed so that we can skip those steps. You can follow the steps provided in the article:
    How to convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk in Windows 7, to change a basic disk to
    a dynamic one. The instructions are also applicable for Windows 10. You can also check this article:
    Extend a basic volume.

Ensure that you create a back up for your system as well.

Regards.

Ariel Aba, Sep 1, 2020
  4. Cloning contents of a dynamic disk onto a new basic partition

Dynamic disk to basic.

You need a third-party partition manager. Ask Google like so:

convert dynamic to basic disk

Remember to back up your data in case things go wrong.

Frederik Long, Sep 1, 2020
Thema:

Cloning contents of a dynamic disk onto a new basic partition

1. Cloning contents of a dynamic disk onto a new basic partition - Similar Threads - Cloning contents dynamic

2. Convert a dynamic disk into basic disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert a dynamic disk into basic disk: Hello guys!Today I need your help because if not then I'll be in danger. Now what happened is that I was trying to split a E drive in disk management tool. So when I did so it gave me a warning message saying that the disk will be a dynamic one and that the PC will not be...
  3. Convert a dynamic disk into basic disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Convert a dynamic disk into basic disk: Hello guys!Today I need your help because if not then I'll be in danger. Now what happened is that I was trying to split a E drive in disk management tool. So when I did so it gave me a warning message saying that the disk will be a dynamic one and that the PC will not be...
  4. Windows 10 dynamic to basic disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 dynamic to basic disk: My windows 10 diskI have only 1 disk has been converted to dynamic. Now i want to convert it back to basic so that i can dual boot it with windows 11. I have searched on internet about this, everything is about paid softwares and using cmd as administrator while using my cmd...
  5. Windows 10 dynamic to basic disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 dynamic to basic disk: My windows 10 diskI have only 1 disk has been converted to dynamic. Now i want to convert it back to basic so that i can dual boot it with windows 11. I have searched on internet about this, everything is about paid softwares and using cmd as administrator while using my cmd...
  6. Windows 10 dynamic to basic disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Macrium Reflect clone Basic Disk to Dynamic Disk

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect clone Basic Disk to Dynamic Disk: Hi, I would like to know how do I clone a hd with basic partition to a hd with dynamic partition? My Macrium Reflect is 7.2 version. Thank's 167387
  8. Partition Change created a Dynamic Disk from a Basic Disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partition Change created a Dynamic Disk from a Basic Disk: [Apologies if I have posed this in the wrong place; thanks for moving it if necessary!] - Good morning Folks! *Smile I thought this would be simple: 1TB HDD with Two 500GB Partitions E: & Z:. Having available space in E: and needing more in Z: I performed a "Shrink" on...
  9. Unable to convert 7 partition disk (basic) to dynamic disk

Unable to convert 7 partition disk (basic) to dynamic disk: I am running Windows 10 Pro. I have an old 1Tb drive that used to be the boot (C) drive and also had partitions for two additional drives. I since replaced that 1Tb drive with an SSD and another 2Tb second internal drive. I've inserted the 1Tb in an external USB SATA...
  10. Cannot change dynamic disk to a basic disk

Cannot change dynamic disk to a basic disk: Running windows 10, due to some personal reasons want to change my dynamic disk to a basic disk.But the option for the same is greyed out in Disk Management.If anyone posts a guide to accomplish the same I would be really grateful*Smile 30309