Windows 10: Cloning hard drive on a system with Optane Memory

Discus and support Cloning hard drive on a system with Optane Memory in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Dell XPS that has 16GB of Optane Memory that is active. If I plan to remove the hard drive after shutting the PC down in order to clone it, do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GaryFuchikami, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Cloning hard drive on a system with Optane Memory

I have a Dell XPS that has 16GB of Optane Memory that is active. If I plan to remove the hard drive after shutting the PC down in order to clone it, do I need to disable the Optane Memory first so whatever is there would be flushed to the hard drive first? From what I've read about Optane Memory, it stores data and it doesn't necessarily write them to the hard drive when you shut down so if I disable it, it would flush the memory to the hard drive. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance!

:)

GaryFuchikami, Oct 2, 2019

2. Optane Memory and System Imaging

I read that Optane memory combined with a regular hard drive can provide SSD-like performance and large storage capacity. This would be a great thing to have in a new desktop computer, assuming there are not a lot of tradeoffs. One thing I was wondering about was system imaging. Does anybody know if system imaging software works with the combination of Optane memory and a regular hard drive? Has anyone ever created and restored an image successfully?

radiowaves, Oct 2, 2019
  3. Sanhime Win User
    Cloning from 1TB to 2TB hard drive

Whats a good free imaging/cloning program? I have a 1TB hard drive with Win7 and I want to seamlessly migrate my stuff to a 2TB hard drive. Any suggestions?

Sanhime, Oct 2, 2019
  4. Junaid_A Win User

Cloning hard drive on a system with Optane Memory

Check Intel(R) Optane(TM) memory module status

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Congratulations on buying your new laptop! To check which Intel® Optane™ Memory Technology
    is installed in your system and the module’s status, you need to have either of the apps listed below installed on your system:

• Intel® Optane™ Memory User Interface
    • Intel® Rapid Storage Technology User Interface

Click on the Start menu and search for any of the apps listed above. Once you find the app, refer the article
    How to Determine What Intel® Optane™ Memory Technology is in Your System
    to know where to look for the module’s status.

Let us know if you have any other concern related to Windows, we will be happy to answer them.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Oct 2, 2019
Thema:

Cloning hard drive on a system with Optane Memory

1. Cloning hard drive on a system with Optane Memory - Similar Threads - Cloning hard drive

2. Cloning a hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cloning a hard drive: Original OS - Windows 8.1Current OS - Windows 10My Dell Desktop won't boot up. Diagnostics shows my HDD is OK. I was wanting to copy everything to a backup drive before I tried to re-install Windows 8.1 original OS. I pulled the HDD WD 1TB SATA, attached a SATA to USB cable...
  3. Cloning a hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning a hard drive: Original OS - Windows 8.1Current OS - Windows 10My Dell Desktop won't boot up. Diagnostics shows my HDD is OK. I was wanting to copy everything to a backup drive before I tried to re-install Windows 8.1 original OS. I pulled the HDD WD 1TB SATA, attached a SATA to USB cable...
  4. Cloning a hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Clone HDD with Optane Memory enabled

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Clone HDD with Optane Memory enabled: I have a Dell XPS 8920 (circa 2017) with the Dell OEM 1TB HDD as boot drive (Drive C), and with Optane Memory enabled ("paired" to the boot drive). I also have a second internal drive, 2TB HDD. (Drive D) I want to replace the 1TB HDD OEM drive with a new 2TB HDD drive, after...
  6. Optane memory

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Optane memory: Is it recommended to use Intel Memory And Storage tool for SSD or Intel Rapid Storage Technology for Optane drives or does Windows 10 already manage these drives? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/optane-memory/8fe6f236-b522-41b3-af90-55343b95541a
  7. Cloning Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning Hard Drive: I use an ssd for booting windows and I had a bad 1TB hard drive which I'm now cloning to a better 2TB hard drive using Macrium Reflect. The cloning is almost done (90%) but I have a few questions. How does it work with the download/picture/documents folder in File...
  8. optimize drive / optane memory

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    optimize drive / optane memory: 16 gig m2 ssd optane memory / 1t HD (spinner) /500gig ssd I was trying to manually optimize the drives and ran into a snag. D: drive optimize (trimmed) successfully but c drive says optimize not available. C is coupled with the optane in as a dynamic drive. How do I...
  9. Hard drive clone

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hard drive clone: Hey: Can I create a cloned drive by cloning to a hd on my PC from my laptop drive & then from the PC to SSD? I only have 1 cable & my laptop will not boot. Both machines have win10 upgrades - 1 from win7 pro -PC & 1 from win 8 home - laptop....
  10. Optane Memory and System Imaging

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Optane Memory and System Imaging: I read that Optane memory combined with a regular hard drive can provide SSD-like performance and large storage capacity. This would be a great thing to have in a new desktop computer, assuming there are not a lot of tradeoffs. One thing I was wondering about was system...