Windows 10: Cloning HD to SSD using Macrium, not booting up.

Discus and support Cloning HD to SSD using Macrium, not booting up. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to replace my HD with SSD using Macrium Reflect 7. But after successfully cloning my hard drive and install the SSD to my laptop, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by utsug, Aug 11, 2021.

1. utsug Win User

Cloning HD to SSD using Macrium, not booting up.

Hello, I am trying to replace my HD with SSD using Macrium Reflect 7. But after successfully cloning my hard drive and install the SSD to my laptop, it won't boot. It's stuck with a blank screen and only showing the mouse pointer. My HD and SSD are showing both GPT so not sure why it is not working. I am trying to paste an image but it doesn't work. Please help. Thank you.

:)

utsug, Aug 11, 2021
  2. WinstonR Win User

Access to cloned HD

Hi Dave,

I used Macrium Reflect (MR) to clone the SSD. It is quite possible the cloning operation did not succeed in creating a bootable drive. I have used it successfully in the past for several clones. How can I determine

• if the boot instructions came over with the clone?
    • or should I try cloning the drive again?
    This computer is a Dell refurbed workstation and I am uncertain if it was set up in a RAID configuration although it came with only 1 rotating hard drive.

WinstonR, Aug 11, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Macrium Reflect and SSD drive

Here's an easy way to do it, With your SSD connected.

1. If not already done. Create a backup image of your current Windows HD. From Macrium, click on "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows"
      NOTE: you could actually clone the disk, but create a backup then restore will allow Macrium to correctly align the cluster size and perform trimming on the new SSD.
    2. After step 1 is done, click on Restore tab, select the image from step 1 then click on Select different target disk, select the SSD as destination disk then click on Next->Finish. No need to use/boot from Rescue disk. It will be faster and Macrium will also perform trimming on the new SSD.
    3. Disconnect the HD and reboot. Windows should boot up with the new SSD.

topgundcp, Aug 11, 2021
  4. Cloning HD to SSD using Macrium, not booting up.

Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Aug 11, 2021
Thema:

Cloning HD to SSD using Macrium, not booting up.

1. Cloning HD to SSD using Macrium, not booting up. - Similar Threads - Cloning SSD using

2. Cloned ssd won't boot, and can't connect it to re-clone. Macrium

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloned ssd won't boot, and can't connect it to re-clone. Macrium: I have a 1tb hdd that I am trying to clone to a 1 tb samsung evo ssd. I used macrium reflect (free) instead of the samsung software because samsung said it would erase my hdd and I didn't want to do that. I thought it went fine, but when I installed it is said "device isn't...
  3. Cloning Hard Drive onto SSD Using Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloning Hard Drive onto SSD Using Macrium Reflect: I used Macrium Reflect to clone my hard drive onto my Samsung 970 Evo SSD. Upon completion, I went into BIOS, set the SSD as the boot drive, and was met with a screen that says that the SSD isn't a bootable media. All I want to do is to have windows 10 on my SSD so that it...
  4. cloning with Macrium

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cloning with Macrium: I am trying to clone a small drive in an old laptop to a larger drive for the extra storage I have used just a straight clone onto an unallocated disk , formatting the disk with exfat deleting the volumes so that the disk becomes empty and even tried it with the disk marked...
  5. Clone laptop hd to SSD not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Clone laptop hd to SSD not working: I cloned laptop to SSD and it says cloned successfully. I stick the SSD into the laptop and it doesn't work. Messages on screen say ' Initialising and establishing link' Then ' DHCP' with a flashing slash' 'Exiting intel boot agent cannot boot from any device' then to a...
  6. Clone To A Larger SSD With Macrium Reflect

Clone To A Larger SSD With Macrium Reflect: I guys. I am about to clone to a larger SSD, and I don't want to leave any unallocated space. There are 3 partitions there. System Reserved, Operating System and a Recovery Partition on the right which the Windows installer must have created as I built the computer myself....
  7. Booting from Macrium Free clone…

Booting from Macrium Free clone…: When I joined this forum it became obvious that Macrium was the software of choice for backing up so I have installed it and am doing my best to get it to run. Now what I want to do initially is to make a bootable clone. From the MF User Guide … I click on ‘clone this disk’...
  8. Booting from Macrium Free clone…

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting from Macrium Free clone…: When I joined this forum it became obvious that Macrium was the software of choice for backing up so I have installed it and am doing my best to get it to run. Now what I want to do initially is to make a bootable clone. From the MF User Guide … I click on ‘clone this disk’...
  9. Macrium....Cloning pc with SSD and HDD ????

Macrium....Cloning pc with SSD and HDD ????: I want to do a clone backup of my laptop that has an SSD for the OS and program files and an HDD for the data files I am unsure of how to do a clone backup involving the two drive configuration As seen in the capture below do I clone the two drives separately to their...
  10. Problem with cloning using macrium

Problem with cloning using macrium: I downloaded the Macrium version 6.1.1081 and created the rescue disk. I started the process of cloning to my external drive, but it stated it would overwrite the drive. I have back-ups from my old PC's on that external drive that I want to keep. Can I first clone the PC...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to restore my clone disk macrium reflect free

2. macrium clone windows ssd fix boot problems

3. Cloned SSD not booting Macrium

4. macrium clone last step,
  5. ssd wont boot after macrium clone,
  6. macrium clone windows 10