Windows 10: Cloning my SSD created boot files in my external SSD

Discus and support Cloning my SSD created boot files in my external SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows Version 20H2 I recently purchased an external SSD from Samsung and used their migration tool to copy all my files into it. Then I learned that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Erenkkk, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Erenkkk Win User

Cloning my SSD created boot files in my external SSD

Windows Version 20H2 I recently purchased an external SSD from Samsung and used their migration tool to copy all my files into it. Then I learned that I can't boot Windows from an external drive so I formatted the external SSD and started using it. But, apparently formatting doesn't delete everything. Now when I check my partitions, there are EFI partitions, MSR partitions etc. and they (EFI and MSR partitions) are causing problems when I am trying to dual-boot. I checked from diskpart and shared screenshots. Are those unnecessary files since I can't boot from external drive? Should I/Can I delete them?

:)

Erenkkk, Jun 5, 2021

2. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jun 5, 2021
  3. Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD

Hi,

I'm not using the SATA ports. I'm using M.2 with the SSD, and the external SSD is connected to my PC using USB. My MB only has only one M.2 socket, so I can only plug in one SSD at a time. (I bought a wrong adapter that doesn't work with NVMe) So I cloned
    my old SSD to an external SSD (Samsung M3 Portable SSD), and then swapped the old one, cloned the external SSD to my new SSD.

I tried AOMEI too, but the free version does not come with disk clone functions. I would probably try Macrium Reflect as suggested above. Thank you!

allenyao09, Jun 5, 2021
  4. Cloning my SSD created boot files in my external SSD

Migrating to a SSD - clone or fresh install?

Also to make it clear when cloning both the source (your hard drive) and the destination drive (your SSD) must both be connected.

When Imaging only the source (hard drive) and an external USB drive to store the image need be connected. After the Image Backup is created you remove the hard drive, connect the SSD and restore the image (using the image backup product's "Recovery Media"
    which you need to create and boot from) to the SSD. Most products also have a "SSD" option check box to properly configure the SSD offset.

You can read a product's user's guide to see exactly what step are required for cloning or imaging.

: http://www.pagestart.com

J W Stuart, Jun 5, 2021
Thema:

Cloning my SSD created boot files in my external SSD

1. Cloning my SSD created boot files in my external SSD - Similar Threads - Cloning SSD created

2. cloned ssd not booting windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cloned ssd not booting windows.: Hi - I have recently installed a 2nd faster m2 drive. I had the intention of moving everything over to the new ssd including windows to see if it would be a faster response when working with large CAD files. The existing Adata ssd was cloned over to the new samsung ssd, both...
  3. cloned ssd not booting windows.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cloned ssd not booting windows.: Hi - I have recently installed a 2nd faster m2 drive. I had the intention of moving everything over to the new ssd including windows to see if it would be a faster response when working with large CAD files. The existing Adata ssd was cloned over to the new samsung ssd, both...
  4. Cloned SSD not booting on Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloned SSD not booting on Windows: I recently cloned my crucial MX500 1TB SSD from my hard drive successfully on a Dell XPS 8700 4th generation computer. When I removed the hard drive and installed the SSD into the same SATA slot and restarted the desktop I received an error code of 0xc0000225 indicating a...
  5. Cloned SSD not booting on Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloned SSD not booting on Windows: I recently cloned my crucial MX500 1TB SSD from my hard drive successfully on a Dell XPS 8700 4th generation computer. When I removed the hard drive and installed the SSD into the same SATA slot and restarted the desktop I received an error code of 0xc0000225 indicating a...
  6. SSD Cloned but won't boot

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    SSD Cloned but won't boot: Greetings, I am trying to upgrade my laptop SSD into a larger size NVME. After looking up how to do that, I used Macrium Reflect to clone my old SSD into the new one. I then replaced the old SSD with the new, but it did not boot. I checked this forum here and found a common...
  7. My Cloned SSD is no longer booting.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My Cloned SSD is no longer booting.: win10 pro ver 2004bld 19041.264 Holla Hombres, I've cloned and been using a Crucial 1T SSD for a few days. It replaces a 500G Seagate that was doing just fine but couldn't resist the upgrade. And yes it was awesome... for a while. I used Macrium to clone and it left half the...
  8. Cant boot from my cloned ssd

in Windows 10 Support
    Cant boot from my cloned ssd: I was having trouble booting from my SSD after cloning my HDD. Everything went fine until I tried to go into bios and have it boot from the SSD. While in the bios the SSD didn't show up until I turn on legacy support. I changed the boot order so it would boot from the SSD and...
  9. my external SSD.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    my external SSD.: i have an alienware 15r2 laptop and i am using an SSD in the usb 3.0 slot. when i put my computer to sleep last night it stopped reading the drive and ive done everything i possibly can to try and get the computer to read it. i have been completely unsuccessful with multiple...
  10. SSD Clone to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD Clone to SSD: Hey, I am cloning several computers for work with the exact same hardware. I have a working computer with a SSD and HDD. When I clone the SSD and start up the same computer with the SSD switched windows will not load and it gives me the standard missing required files to...