Windows 10: Cloning my Windows 10 pro OS drive

Discus and support Cloning my Windows 10 pro OS drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have windows 10 pro on my laptop. I need to replace the OS drive where win10 is installed.(current solid state drive is Samsung 850 EVO, new drive is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Janning, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Janning Win User

Cloning my Windows 10 pro OS drive

I have windows 10 pro on my laptop. I need to replace the OS drive where win10 is installed.(current solid state drive is Samsung 850 EVO, new drive is Samsung 860 pro, windows 1o pro 64 bit, OS build 19041.746 )1) How do Clone my old drive to the new drive ? What do I use to do this (I'm not using any windows security encryptions)2) If I have to reinstall windows 10 pro, I do have "a key" but I'm not sure it is the correct key. how can I get my key?

:)

Janning, Feb 7, 2021
  2. little cat, Feb 7, 2021
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook | Tom's Hardware

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Feb 7, 2021
  4. Cloning my Windows 10 pro OS drive

cloneing a drive in windows 10

Hi,I have this question last year,but my os is windows 8.there are my steps of

How to clone drive in winodws

,you can check.hope that helps

First,I download a free tool of MiniTool partition wizard and launch it.

Step 1. Connect SSD to Windows 8. Install and launch MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition, select the source hard drive and then choose “Copy

Step 2. Select a disk to copy the source disk. Here you are expected to choose the SSD (we choose disk 3).

Note: All the data on SSD will be destroyed, so make sure you have done backup in advance. You are allowed to clone a hard drive to a smaller SSD, as long as it can hold all data in the source disk. You can also clone SSD to larger SSD by using MiniTool
    Partition Wizard Free Edition.

Step 3. Review the changes you are going to make and also change the copy options if necessary.

Step 4. MiniTool Partition Wizard will tell you how to boot from the destination hard drive. So if you are cloning boot drive to SSD, you need to pay attention.

Step 5. When you are lead to the main interface again, you can preview the changes you are going to make from the middle pane. (Here disk 3 has the same disk layout with disk 1.) If you confirm these
    changes, you should click “Apply” to make the changes effective. Hope that helps

Areil.Bart, Feb 7, 2021
Thema:

Cloning my Windows 10 pro OS drive

1. Cloning my Windows 10 pro OS drive - Similar Threads - Cloning pro drive

2. Cloning my Windows 10 pro OS drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning my Windows 10 pro OS drive: I have windows 10 pro on my laptop. I need to replace the OS drive where win10 is installed.(current solid state drive is Samsung 850 EVO, new drive is Samsung 860 pro, windows 1o pro 64 bit, OS build 19041.746 )1) How do Clone my old drive to the new drive ? What do I use to...
  3. Cloning OS drive

Cloning OS drive: I'm running 10 on a refurb'd Dell which came with 10 on an SSD. I would like to make a bootable clone of the OS on a 2nd SSD of the same size (128 gig). I've used Macrium in the past to clone a 7 OS disk, worked fine, but I have read a few threads online where a user has...
  4. Cloning Windows 10 os help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning Windows 10 os help: Hello, my younger sister bought herself a pc. She is asking me to assemble it and now its done. But as you know she still doesnt have an os and i had an idea to clone my OS to her ssd. But my question is if i clone my os to her ssd, what would happen to my os? i could...
  5. Win 10 cloned on second drive original OS not removed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 cloned on second drive original OS not removed: Got a new laptop with HDD added a NVMe SSD. Cloned HDD onto SSD and set boot configuration in BIOS I think. Didn't remove Windows from HDD. Computer boots faster but slows to a crawl once the background screen is reached. Is there a conflict between the two OS's? I wanted to...
  6. Clone OS partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clone OS partition: Hey, I’m having trouble moving my windows 10 install over to my new ssd. I have tried cloning the entire disk and or all partitions from old to new drive using easeus, minitool, and aomei, but nothing seems to work after if clone everything, I restarted pc and booted from new...
  7. FYI-Cloning Hard Drive (Windows 10 Pro x64)

FYI-Cloning Hard Drive (Windows 10 Pro x64): Hi, All... When using free software I always keep this "Quote" in mind. “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time” With that out of the way... I'm in the...
  8. Hard drive/OS/Cloning Issue

Hard drive/OS/Cloning Issue: So I have a laptop with two 500 GB hard drives in it. I was going to clone these two drives using a Wavlink USB 3.0 dual bay docking station , and clone them onto a pair of 2 TB drives. Some how my two source drives have become not boot able. I have connected...
  9. if my Windows 10 Pro x64 OS can be easily cloned

if my Windows 10 Pro x64 OS can be easily cloned: Hi all, i have a new SSD HDD arriving in the post tomorrow and i am wanting to know if my Windows 10 Pro x64 OS can be easily cloned as once i have started the process i will not have a laptop to use to browse this site to troubleshoot any issues i may have. i have used...
  10. Sysprep and cloned OS

Sysprep and cloned OS: Hi. I am setting up some computers that has to be locked down tight with local GPO. They are in a non-domain network and is only on the Internet. Can I just clone the drives from one to the others without problems like dual SIDs? Do I need to run sysprep? *Tongue 42988