Windows 10: Cloning old drive before installing new drive

Discus and support Cloning old drive before installing new drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Could you point me in the right direction please ? I have a 120g SSD which I need to replace so I need to clone it so as to re-assign the content to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by morgan23, Jan 18, 2020.

1. morgan23 Win User

Cloning old drive before installing new drive

Could you point me in the right direction please ?
    I have a 120g SSD which I need to replace so I need to clone it so as to re-assign the content to the Adata M.2, PCIe target disc, the slot which is currently held by the 120g will be disabled when I connect the M.2 yet it says connect your new disc before cloning as stated the source slot will not ne enabled.
    Will the partitions need to be removed as I don't really want partitions on the new drive?

Win 10.18362
    Many thanks

:)

morgan23, Jan 18, 2020
  2. Gabe1972 Win User

Cloning a hard drive from one laptop to a new laptop

Are you referring to a system drive, as in cloning a system drive from your previous laptop to your new laptop so that your new laptop will have the same OS and installed programs? If this is the case, you're going to run into major problems, as in it probably
    won't work, not only because of the Windows license, but also because the old drive is set up to run on your old laptop, not the new one.

Cloning a system drive normally refers to either cloning for a backup, or cloning a system drive to a new drive that is going to go into the same laptop, like if you are upgrading to an SSD or upgrading to a larger size drive.

Gabe1972, Jan 18, 2020
  3. Clone Bitlocker enable drive to SSD

Keitaro

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

Heed the advice of the software, you must disable BitLocker before cloning. This is highly recommend if you ever want to get access to the drive.

There is nothing wrong with having to re-enable it after restoring the clone.

Step 1: disable BitLocker.

Step 2: clone drive

Step 3: restore the cloned image to the new drive.

Step 4: Re-Enable BitLocker.

Andre for Directly, Jan 18, 2020
  4. Cloning old drive before installing new drive

Migrating to a new Hard Drive?

Things get easier when you use disk clone. To do this, follow the steps below:

1. Connect the new drive to your computer. Make sure that it can be detected by your PC.

2. Clone the old drive to the new drive. Many third party software can help you complete this task. If you know very little about them, you can turn to the full guide about

how to clone a hard drive

3. Change boot order in BIOS or replace the old hard drive to boot from the cloned drive.

Paper Plane-4567, Jan 18, 2020
Thema:

Cloning old drive before installing new drive

1. Cloning old drive before installing new drive - Similar Threads - Cloning old drive

2. New Cloned Drive - apps that require APPDATA are pointing to old drive

in Windows 10 Support
    New Cloned Drive - apps that require APPDATA are pointing to old drive: I cloned my C drive to a new SSD (old C drive is now E:) Everything in the start menu that requires app data eg Backup is pointing to APPDATA in E drive not C drive, where there is an up to date copy. How do I globally change Windows to look at C:\Users\(username)\appdata?...
  3. Can't Boot into Cloned Drive to Delete Old Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't Boot into Cloned Drive to Delete Old Drive: Hi I recently cloned my SSD using Clonezilla and was trying to boot into the new cloned drive to reformat the old drive so I can use it for normal storage. Both SSD's use the NVMe M.2 format but my motherboard only has space for one of them so I bought a PCIe adapter for the...
  4. How can I clone my old hard drive to a new hard drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can I clone my old hard drive to a new hard drive?: How can I clone my old laptop hard drive to a new hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-clone-my-old-hard-drive-to-a-new-hard/cd9498d2-e379-40c0-aef4-42328b6c428a
  5. cloning to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    cloning to a new hard drive: when cloning windows 10 drive to a new SSD, should the new hard drive be blank? so if not, then do you need to delete everything on it or reformat it first? i bought a new pc that has Windows 10 and I want to clone my old pc to the new one...... using macrium . thanks in...
  6. Installing old data drive in new computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Installing old data drive in new computer: My current laptop has two SSD drives both SATA interface. The C: drive for operating system and programs and a D: drive for all my data. In a few days, I'll be receiving my new HP laptop. It comes with an M2 SSD 512GB and a 1TB HDD SATA interface. I plan on using the new...
  7. Tried cloning windows to SSD, but it created a new drive and removed my old drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Tried cloning windows to SSD, but it created a new drive and removed my old drive.: [ATTACH] So i just bought an SSD for my PC and I heard that it was a good idea to move your windows to the SSD, so I started looking up how, downloaded AOMEI backupper, backed up my drives and pressed the system clone function on the program. after an hour, the process...
  8. Cloned a drive successfully, now cannot disable the old drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cloned a drive successfully, now cannot disable the old drive?: I cloned my storage drive successfully. But now I cannot disable that drive in Device Manager. The option is just not there. The drive (J) originally had my windows paging file on it, and Disk Management refused to change the drive letter after I had cloned it. I had to use...
  9. Clone secondary hard drive to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone secondary hard drive to new hard drive: Hi! Bought a replacement secondary hard drive, but want to know best tool to clone it. My main drive is an SSD with Windows on, but I used Kari's tutorial to move the user folder on to a secondary hard drive, so just unsure on the best way to go to keep the User folder...
  10. Cloned drive to new pc possible?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloned drive to new pc possible?: I have W10 which was upgraded from w7 ultimate. I cloned w10 to another hard drive and now have 2 drives bootable which i can use. I am going to be buying a new pc without an operating system,before i do can i: Put one of the drives into this new pc and boot form it? Will...