Windows 10: Cloning Or Reinstalling Win 10

Discus and support Cloning Or Reinstalling Win 10 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey guys so I have been reading reddit post on whether one should clone HDD to an SSD, but my situation is slightly different. I recently just bought a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TheProviser, May 11, 2020.

1. Cloning Or Reinstalling Win 10

Hey guys so I have been reading reddit post on whether one should clone HDD to an SSD, but my situation is slightly different. I recently just bought a Samsung 970 EVO 1TB as my DRAM-Less 512GB Lexar NVMe SSD is running out of space. I want the OS to run on my Samsung SSD. I read that re-installing may be better as its a fresh install but since my win 10 is only 2 months old, does it really affect it that much? Isn't an SSD capable of reading and writing fast even though there are many junk files? Should I clone My Win 10 instead?

submitted by /u/TheProviser
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TheProviser, May 11, 2020
  2. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook | Tom's Hardware

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, May 11, 2020
  3. Andre Da Costa, May 11, 2020
  4. cadaveca Win User

Cloning Or Reinstalling Win 10

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, May 11, 2020
Thema:

Cloning Or Reinstalling Win 10

1. Cloning Or Reinstalling Win 10 - Similar Threads - Cloning Reinstalling

2. Reinstalling Windows when swapping out SSDs for HDDs? Clean install or Clone?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstalling Windows when swapping out SSDs for HDDs? Clean install or Clone?: I have two laptops each currently running Windows 10 off an HDD. I want to replace the hard drives with SSDs. If I install a blank SSD into the laptop and insert a flash drive made, with Media Creation Tool, as a bootable drive and then set the BIOS of the laptop to boot from...
  3. Reinstalling Windows when swapping out SSDs for HDDs? Clean install or Clone?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstalling Windows when swapping out SSDs for HDDs? Clean install or Clone?: I have two laptops each currently running Windows 10 off an HDD. I want to replace the hard drives with SSDs. If I install a blank SSD into the laptop and insert a flash drive made, with Media Creation Tool, as a bootable drive and then set the BIOS of the laptop to boot from...
  4. Reinstalling Windows when swapping out SSDs for HDDs? Clean install or Clone?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Installed new SSD, cloned old HDD. Numerous BSODs, then Boot-Up Fail, then Reinstall...

Installed new SSD, cloned old HDD. Numerous BSODs, then Boot-Up Fail, then Reinstall...: I installed a SSD in a Dell 5570 running Windows 11, intended to do a straight transfer on all the apps, files, data to the SSD from an pre-existing HDD. I installed it and used Macrium cause I heard it was best.Long story short, I booted it up, with HDD inside still...
  6. Installed new SSD, cloned old HDD. Numerous BSODs, then Boot-Up Fail, then Reinstall...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Installed new SSD, cloned old HDD. Numerous BSODs, then Boot-Up Fail, then Reinstall...: I installed a SSD in a Dell 5570 running Windows 11, intended to do a straight transfer on all the apps, files, data to the SSD from an pre-existing HDD. I installed it and used Macrium cause I heard it was best.Long story short, I booted it up, with HDD inside still...
  7. Installed new SSD, cloned old HDD. Numerous BSODs, then Boot-Up Fail, then Reinstall...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. How do I reinstall windows 11 to my newly added SSD without cloning?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I reinstall windows 11 to my newly added SSD without cloning?: I recently bought an M.2 NVME SSD for my laptop which only had a 1TB HDD since I bought my laptop. So my windows 11 is in my HDD as of now and I would like to reinstall it in my SSD without cloning, So is there any way through which I can do this? I read an article regarding...
  9. How do I reinstall windows 11 to my newly added SSD without cloning?

How do I reinstall windows 11 to my newly added SSD without cloning?: I recently bought an M.2 NVME SSD for my laptop which only had a 1TB HDD since I bought my laptop. So my windows 11 is in my HDD as of now and I would like to reinstall it in my SSD without cloning, So is there any way through which I can do this? I read an article regarding...
  10. How do I reinstall my licensed windows 11 to my newly brought SSD without cloning?

How do I reinstall my licensed windows 11 to my newly brought SSD without cloning?: I recently bought an M.2 NVME SSD for my laptop which only had a 1TB HDD since I bought my laptop. So my windows 11 is in my HDD as of now and I would like to reinstall it in my SSD without cloning, So is there any way through which I can do this? I read an article regarding...