Windows 10: Cloning same model computers / Keep Windows License

Discus and support Cloning same model computers / Keep Windows License in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; All, As I posted in a previous thread, my company is trying out Intel NUC computers with Windows 10 Home. So I have two computers and it took... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Bryantom, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Bryantom Win User

Cloning same model computers / Keep Windows License

All,

As I posted in a previous thread, my company is trying out Intel NUC computers with Windows 10 Home. So I have two computers and it took literally two days to install all of the Windows updates for both computers. I've used Clonezilla successfully for a K12 computer lab for years, not caring about licensing issues, but now I'm working a Corporate and I want to make sure licensing stays kosher. After using Clonezilla, or another cloning application, is there a way to put the original Windows license back in place? Does it matter anymore? I've read some posts in this forum and the license is now written or read to/from the motherboard? I'm guessing that has to be the case since the computers don't have the usual Windows logo with an install certificate.

Warning, I'm a 31 year Mac Veteran / Technician that knows enough about Windows OS to be dangerous.

Thanks,
    Bryan

:)

Bryantom, Jan 7, 2019
  2. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Jan 7, 2019
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Jan 7, 2019
  4. wishihad Win User

Activation options for Win10 with instant clones

We have a secure (no internet access) lab environment setup to test and validate a VMWare VDI deployment of Win10 clients.

Our issue is activation of the Win10 clients as they require re-activation every time we logoff and back on because we are using instant clones.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to resolve this? Here are the options we are considering and issues as we understand them:

• Setup a KMS server
      • Requires a Volume license, which is doable
      • Documentation says we must have a minimum of 25 hosts, we don' have that in our lab
    • Use our MSDN account
      • No support for Win10 KMS license
      • No support for MKS activation
    • Manually activate each time
      • Gonna spend a lot of time on the phone Cloning same model computers / Keep Windows License :(
      • Win10 has no grace period so machines are crippled w/o activation
    Anyone have a thought or suggestions? I'm hoping I missed something.

Thanks

wishihad, Jan 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Cloning same model computers / Keep Windows License - Similar Threads - Cloning same model

2. Same Digital License on Two Computers?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Same Digital License on Two Computers?: I built a Windows 8.1 computer that was eventually upgraded to Windows 10 for free so no OEM license. Recently I built a new computer with the intent to transfer the license from the old to the new. For some reason they are both still activated. My old computer says "Windows...
  3. Cloned licenses

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloned licenses: i cloned my hdd to an ssd and now both have functioning windows 10? did i duplicate the license? submitted by /u/Insain-Person [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ic53zs/cloned_licenses/
  4. Cloning to a new computer and licensing

Cloning to a new computer and licensing: Hi. I built a computer for an old teacher of mine about 8 years ago. It is actually still running but I want to build him a new machine to be sure no glitches. I am almost finished and plan to visit him next week to clone his existing drive to a new one and install the new...
  5. Clone user accounts on the same computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Clone user accounts on the same computer: Good day everyone, is there a way to clone an user account to a new one on the same computer? I previously posted I have problems with icons but no one was able to give me an answer on how to fix it...
  6. New computer same license.

New computer same license.: Hi, i just got my new computer and installed windows but it doesn't want to activate. I upgraded from win 7 or 8 a few years ago to win 10 (pro?) and haven't had any trouble with my license on the other computer. The harddrives from the old computer have been formatted and...
  7. Clone HDD to New PC of Exact same model after failure

Clone HDD to New PC of Exact same model after failure: Hi, I have a HP Z230 (windows 10, probably upgraded from 7 a couple of years ago) that runs some 3rd party software we paid to have setup with small SQL databases behind them. The system runs fine and is more than enough. A real server isn't a possibility at this time. The...
  8. Cloning same model computers / Keep Windows License

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cloning same model computers / Keep Windows License: All, As I posted in a previous thread, my company is trying out Intel NUC computers with Windows 10 Home. So I have two computers and it took literally two days to install all of the Windows updates for both computers. I've used Clonezilla successfully for a K12 computer lab...
  9. Running alternative clone hard drive on same computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Running alternative clone hard drive on same computer: I was just thinking of making a clone of my Win 10 hard drive and running the program on alternative months. In other words run one version for a month then swapping drives and using the clone for the next month. All my files are saved on a NAS drive and the hard drives are...
  10. Same computer models, same Windows version, different appearance?

in Windows 10 Support
    Same computer models, same Windows version, different appearance?: I have two of the same HP All-in-One computers that are both running the same version of Windows (AE), but when I open explorer the views are different. One shows icons under Quick Access, and one shows folders. How do you change them? I cannot find any option to "display as...