Windows 10: Cloning to a Smaller SSD

Discus and support Cloning to a Smaller SSD in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; What is a decent cloning product that can clone from a larger hdd to a smaller ssd, either paid or free. There's not a lot on the old drive. 173366 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by alfarom, Jan 31, 2021.

1. alfarom Win User

Cloning to a Smaller SSD

What is a decent cloning product that can clone from a larger hdd to a smaller ssd, either paid or free. There's not a lot on the old drive.

:)

alfarom, Jan 31, 2021
  2. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook | Tom's Hardware

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Jan 31, 2021
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Jan 31, 2021
  4. qinada Win User

Cloning to a Smaller SSD

Clone a 1 Tb drive to a 512 Mb SSC

Hi Vaughn,

You can
    clone larger HDD to small SSD
    with a professional disk cloning software as long as the used space is smaller than the SSD. You will not worry it will clone the unused space unless you use sector by sector clone mode.

I suggest you to clone your HDD to SSD with AOMEI Backupper, if the used space is larger than the SSD, you can clone only the OS to SSD and keep the HDD as data storage. This software is very easy to operate.

qinada, Jan 31, 2021
Thema:

Cloning to a Smaller SSD

1. Cloning to a Smaller SSD - Similar Threads - Cloning Smaller SSD

2. How to upgrade 256 Sata SSD with a NvME 1 TB SSD and clone the existing smaller SSD to my...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to upgrade 256 Sata SSD with a NvME 1 TB SSD and clone the existing smaller SSD to my...: Hello!I Have an Asus Laptop and I want to upgrade the SSD, I currently have installed a 1 TB HDD in the laptop and i'm wondering if its possible to clone the smaller SSD into the Hard Drive to install the new SSD. I've looked for many tutorials but I haven't found any case as...
  3. Cloning a large drive to a smaller drive,

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning a large drive to a smaller drive,: I have a 1 Terabyte drive that I want to clone to a 500 gig M2 SSD. Would it be better if I split that drive in half to 500gig. The C drive would be a 500 gig partition and the other 500 would be a separate partition. I would then just clone the C drive partition to the SSD....
  4. Cloning a large drive to a smaller drive,

Cloning a large drive to a smaller drive,: I have a 1 Terabyte drive that I want to clone to a 500 gig M2 SSD. Would it be better if I split that drive in half to 500gig. The C drive would be a 500 gig partition and the other 500 would be a separate partition. I would then just clone the C drive partition to the SSD....
  5. Cloning to a Smaller SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloning to a Smaller SSD: What is a decent cloning product that can clone from a larger hdd to a smaller ssd, either paid or free. There's not a lot on the old drive. It's version 2004 of Windows 10. I'm unable to get to the boot menu or the bios using the novo button on a Lenovo Z580 for some...
  6. Cannot clone drive to smaller drive

Cannot clone drive to smaller drive: Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 2004 Installed on 10/14/2020 OS build 19041.572 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0 I have used Minitool Partition Wizard for several clone jobs. Never had a problem up to now. The thing different is now I am cloning a...
  7. Is Macrium a good app to clone a system hdd to a much smaller ssd?

Is Macrium a good app to clone a system hdd to a much smaller ssd?: Is Macrium a reliable programme to clone a system HDD to a much smaller SSD? 64651
  8. Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.

Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.: Hello there I purchased a Crucial MX300 525gb SSD to upgrade my laptop storage, that has an Intel Opal SSD 180gb on it. I need more space My idea was to clone the information from one SSD (intel is now inside the laptop) to the bigger SSD (using an USB-SATA cable and...
  9. Cloning Windows 10 to smaller SSD

Cloning Windows 10 to smaller SSD: I'm trying to clone my 2 TB HD, with only 300 GB used, to a new 480 GB SSD, and keep getting "not enough space" to finish transferring, etc.....I thought since the used portion (300 GB) being less than the target drive (480 GB SSD) this was a possibility with Macrium...
  10. SSD Clone to SSD

SSD Clone to SSD: Hey, I am cloning several computers for work with the exact same hardware. I have a working computer with a SSD and HDD. When I clone the SSD and start up the same computer with the SSD switched windows will not load and it gives me the standard missing required files to...