Windows 10: Cloning to SSD

Discus and support Cloning to SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; If your computer is set to boot from the USB flash drive first, it will just keep rebooting from the flash drive. Try restarting your computer with the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bogart99, Mar 24, 2016.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

Cloning to SSD

If your computer is set to boot from the USB flash drive first, it will just keep rebooting from the flash drive. Try restarting your computer with the flash drive removed.

NavyLCDR, Mar 27, 2016
  2. Bogart99 Win User

Hi

I have tried that and it just says no operating system installed.

The method I tried was Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

Everything is fine up to step 14 with windows restarting I do not get a step15 it just goes back to step 5 select your language.

Bogart99, Mar 27, 2016
  3. Bogart99 Win User
    Another update. The transfer to the SSD looks to have succeded to a degree. If I now connect the SSD to the laptop as an external USB hdd
    the laptop booted up fine after asking for the key and downloading updates. If I now put it into the laptop I again get the no operating system available message. I then connected the original HDD to the laptop as a USB HDD and it will not boot. Am I missing something very obvious?

Bogart99, Mar 28, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

Cloning to SSD

Hmmmm! Sounds like a boot order issue, where you've got multiple drives that can boot the device, and it's not clear about which device should have priority. I'd investigate BIOS settings to see what drives the BIOS recognizes, and try to solve it from that angle first. If doesn't work, please post again. Windows never fails to amaze with its infinite causes for vexation!
    FWIW, I had exactly the problem you describe, and was ultimately only able to resolve it by reformatting the original boot drive (the original HDD in your post above) so that it was no longer bootable. After that, everything worked fine.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 28, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    It would help to see a disk management screenshot of both the original HDD and SSD:
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of - Windows 10 Forums

Please be sure to widen the columns so we can see all the information in them.

NavyLCDR, Mar 28, 2016
  6. Bogart99 Win User
    Cloning to SSD [​IMG]

Cloning to SSD [​IMG]
    Attached is screen shot as requested. I can see there are differences in C: and E: ie E: appears to be missing boot info for a start. What confuses me though is that the laptop will boot up fine if the SSD is connected via the USB port

Bogart99, Mar 28, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    The SSD has a boot partition on it. Two things come to mind - the HDD is obviously a GPT partitioned disk. Is the SSD GPT or MBR? If it is MBR, it probably needs to be converted to GPT. MiniTool Partition Wizard Free is the easy way to display if it is GPT or MBR and also has a utility which might convert it to GPT. I know the diskpart command will display GPT/MBR too, but would have to wait to get home to see how to do it in diskpart. Using diskpart to convert the disk from MBR to GPT requires wiping the disk, whereas MiniTool Partition Wizard Free can do it without wiping the disk.

Second, even though the SSD contains a boot partition (EFI System), it might not have valid boot information in it. For that I would suggest either Kyhi's recovery disk (which also has MiniTool Partition Wizard on it) or a bootable Macrium Reflect Free rescue disk. Boot from Kyhi's recovery disk, with the SSD installed in the laptop and the old HDD not connected at all. Run Macrium Reflect Free, there is a utility under the Restore menu to fix Windows startup problems. That will probably put the correct boot information into the EFI System partition.

Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Mar 28, 2016
  8. Bogart99 Win User

Cloning to SSD

SSD is a GPT device. Will try your other suggestions to hopefully get a fix. Thanks

Bogart99, Mar 28, 2016
  9. Bogart99 Win User
    Hi again.
    I think I have tried everything about to give up and keep to the HDD in my laptop. I have been using Macrium reflect to try to sort the problem. If I try a cloning operation of even just one partion of the HDD it gets 98% of the way then says cloning failed. Gives an error of
    Write failed -22 Invalid arguement. This happens after it is trying I believe to do something with the trim of the SSD. I did try to do an image of the HDD which it said had succeeded but again I get the message no OS .

Bogart99, Mar 31, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Mar 31, 2016
  11. OldMike65 Win User
    OldMike65, Mar 31, 2016
  12. Bogart99 Win User
    Bogart99, Mar 31, 2016
  13. Bogart99 Win User

Cloning to SSD

I would love either to work*Biggrin tried both.

Bogart99, Mar 31, 2016
  14. kipper Win User
    I have cloned the internal HHD on two different Laptops by using AOMEI backup and a USB to SATA cable such as this.......

Maybe this method will work for you....

kipper, Mar 31, 2016
  15. Bogart99 Win User
    Well have tried everything else might as well give it a go. The cable you mention is the type I am using.

Bogart99, Mar 31, 2016
Thema:

Cloning to SSD

1. Cloning to SSD - Similar Threads - Cloning SSD

2. Bitlocker keeps showing up after the i've changed boot sequence to cloned SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker keeps showing up after the i've changed boot sequence to cloned SSD: I was cloning my HDD to my SSD. Now before cloning I disabled BitLocker and then clone the drive. After cloning was completed, I change the boot sequence to boot from HDD to the SSD. However bitlocker prompt kicked in asking my to enter the password. And I entered the...
  3. Bitlocker keeps showing up after the i've changed boot sequence to cloned SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker keeps showing up after the i've changed boot sequence to cloned SSD: I was cloning my HDD to my SSD. Now before cloning I disabled BitLocker and then clone the drive. After cloning was completed, I change the boot sequence to boot from HDD to the SSD. However bitlocker prompt kicked in asking my to enter the password. And I entered the...
  4. After cloning a Hard Drive to SSD I can't access some of my personal files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After cloning a Hard Drive to SSD I can't access some of my personal files: When I attempt to access my personal files it says "D:\School is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc iss inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or...
  5. After cloning a Hard Drive to SSD I can't access some of my personal files

After cloning a Hard Drive to SSD I can't access some of my personal files: When I attempt to access my personal files it says "D:\School is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc iss inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or...
  6. After cloning a Hard Drive to SSD I can't access some of my personal files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. [Need Help] Troubleshooting with Cloned SSD Issues on Windows - Detailed Info on GitHub

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [Need Help] Troubleshooting with Cloned SSD Issues on Windows - Detailed Info on GitHub: Hi Microsoft Team,I am currently experiencing issues with a cloned SSD on Windows and am seeking assistance from the community.Due to unsupported md format in here, I have detailed the specific problems and the steps I've taken so far in a Markdown document on my GitHub...
  8. [Need Help] Troubleshooting with Cloned SSD Issues on Windows - Detailed Info on GitHub

[Need Help] Troubleshooting with Cloned SSD Issues on Windows - Detailed Info on GitHub: Hi Microsoft Team,I am currently experiencing issues with a cloned SSD on Windows and am seeking assistance from the community.Due to unsupported md format in here, I have detailed the specific problems and the steps I've taken so far in a Markdown document on my GitHub...
  9. [Need Help] Troubleshooting with Cloned SSD Issues on Windows - Detailed Info on GitHub

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Help cloning hdd to ssd

Help cloning hdd to ssd: Hi!I have an old desktop from around 2015, and I’m trying to clone the hdd to an ssd, but I can’t seem to get it to work. I’ve tried the free versions of both Macrium reflect and Casper, but neither have worked. With macrium reflect, I get error code 8 once the transfer is...