Windows 10: Cloning vs Imaging boot drive upgrade

Discus and support Cloning vs Imaging boot drive upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everyone. I just received a Sabrent 1tb Rocket gen 4 nvme to replace my 500gb Samsung EVO ssd boot drive. Now I've done this once already when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Merrlin, May 7, 2021.

1. Merrlin Win User

Cloning vs Imaging boot drive upgrade

Hi everyone. I just received a Sabrent 1tb Rocket gen 4 nvme to replace my 500gb Samsung EVO ssd boot drive. Now I've done this once already when I replaced my sata hdd with the EVO and I think I cloned the boot drive, but I don't remember which software I used. I think it was Easus partition free, but I think it it has limited uses. Sabrent comes with free Acronis, but I haven't read good reviews of those who used it. My question is, if I create an image of the current drive, can accomplish the same thing using Windows recovery, and do I first need to create a simple volume and format in Windows or can I just install the NVME and let Windows do it from the recovery, then just extend the partition afterwards. Thank you.

:)

Merrlin, May 7, 2021

2. Cloning from 1TB to 2TB hard drive

Hello, Migrating a 1TB Hard Drive to a 2TB HDD is very possible.

My Rig started out on just 160GB, when I upgraded HDDs, I cloned my 160 GB into a newly bought 500GB HDD. (it was an OS HDD)

Then on the next HDD upgrade(I bought a 1 TB) I cloned that 500GB to a 1 TB HDD.

No problems at all.

From what I can remember the program I used was Acronis?? I forgot. But it ran the cloning process outside of windows. the cloning took like 30 to 1 hr. then I switched drive letters and the newly bought HDD is now my boot device.

lyndonguitar, May 7, 2021
  3. Sanhime Win User
    Cloning from 1TB to 2TB hard drive

Whats a good free imaging/cloning program? I have a 1TB hard drive with Win7 and I want to seamlessly migrate my stuff to a 2TB hard drive. Any suggestions?

Sanhime, May 7, 2021
  4. TenneR Win User

Macrium cloned / restored images to ANOTHER drive will not boot? MBR

Thanks for your reply and suggestions NavyLCDR!

I might try and take a look at your suggestions later or at the weekend. Just a shame I'm unable to clone to another drive to apply and test your suggestions. I suppose I could restore from a last known good image, but as I've mentioned, it'll only restore to the original boot drive (in temrs of having a bootable drive).

What I am worried about is if I applied your suggestions on that original drive, it might alter something meaning I'll be unable to restore an image which is bootable. It may just be seen as another drive (which I'm having problems getting to boot with another drive other than original boot).

TenneR, May 7, 2021
Thema:

1. Cloning vs Imaging boot drive upgrade - Similar Threads - Cloning Imaging boot

2. Trying to upgrade C: Drive, but unable to boot on cloned drive!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to upgrade C: Drive, but unable to boot on cloned drive!: Been trying to upgrade my main drive from a 256gb nvme to a 512g nvme. I've tried using both AOMEI Backupper and making an image of the drive using a Live CD of Linux but both don't work, When i boot with the cloned 512gb nvme it says that "files are missing" and it wont get...
  3. Trying to upgrade C: Drive, but unable to boot on cloned drive!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to upgrade C: Drive, but unable to boot on cloned drive!: Been trying to upgrade my main drive from a 256gb nvme to a 512g nvme. I've tried using both AOMEI Backupper and making an image of the drive using a Live CD of Linux but both don't work, When i boot with the cloned 512gb nvme it says that "files are missing" and it wont get...
  4. cloned image wont boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cloned image wont boot: Hi,so a lot of 'mea culpa's' here - i know I have done a few things wrong and really should have created a boot disk/recovery disk..... but i didn't.i used macrium reflect to create an image of my hard drive - then restored this image to a new drive .however i messed up and...
  5. cloned image wont boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cloned image wont boot: Hi,so a lot of 'mea culpa's' here - i know I have done a few things wrong and really should have created a boot disk/recovery disk..... but i didn't.i used macrium reflect to create an image of my hard drive - then restored this image to a new drive .however i messed up and...
  6. cloned image wont boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive: I'm sure I screwed something up, but here's my situation. I bought an SSD, unfortunately a little smaller than I should have. In using free Macrium Reflect software to clone my original main drive, I realized I needed a few more gigs of space. The operation requires moving...
  8. cloning (not imaging) speed -- Macrium vs DD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    cloning (not imaging) speed -- Macrium vs DD: Hi folks I'm talking about Cloning here not imaging which is a separate methodology and Macrium does perfectly with it (both performance and reliability wise). However on Cloning Macrium performs rather worse on Windows than using DD on most Linux systems fairly...
  9. Macrium Reflect...Imaging VS Cloning, and how to keep drive J mirrored

Macrium Reflect...Imaging VS Cloning, and how to keep drive J mirrored: Hey how's it going guys good to be here :) OK so I'm running Windows 10, and I purchased the full retail version of Macrium Reflect, and have now cloned my main C: drive to another SSD drive, using the "Clone this Drive" option. The backup drive, we'll call it "J", is now a...
  10. Cloned drive will not boot

Cloned drive will not boot: Hi guys I'm a little embarrassed to ask for help from a cloning operation, being an IT guy...but this one has me stumped. Short background: Bought a inexpensive Acer laptop (R 15) Seemed like a great deal for under $499, great screen, good video, Intel i5. But got it...